What's new

First of the stabilized blanks

Remember this photo?

proxy.php

Well I picked these up from Master wood guy Dave Bell who was so kind to stabilize these for me.
I also picked up a custom made wood/resin blank that he created when there cuz damn, it was just gorgeous, but that's for another thread.

So here is the first blank turned today,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Proposed knot,

proxy.php

Comparison of non stabilized and stabilized.
Finish on the left on only polished on the right.

proxy.php

I was waiting to see what you finally decided to shape these lovely pieces of spalted maple into. I love the shape/form you chose to go with. Looking forward to seeing what else you have to offer up for form/design. I also look forward to your other blank and what it reveals.

Dave Bell

Thanks guys.

I was waiting to see what you finally decided to shape these lovely pieces of spalted maple into. I love the shape/form you chose to go with. Looking forward to seeing what else you have to offer up for form/design. I also look forward to your other blank and what it reveals.

Dave Bell

Thanks Dave. You did a great job on the stabilizing. These things are easily 4-6 times their original weight.
This handle has probably the least amount of character of them all so the others should be interesting.
The shape is very nice in the hand and the finish is perfect for me - sanded and buffed with wax.
I'm almost afraid to turn the piece you made. I don't want to screw it up.
The first one I got from you produced two of the nicest brushes I have ever seen (bias for sure). Really interesting characteristics and contrast.
I will certainly post all my ventures in brushes and hope I can do the wood worthy.

Top Bottom