What's new

First OC Purchase Question

Hello everyone. I am in the market for a new razor and I would love your input. My main criteria are:

1. Foolproof blade alignment (no fiddling whatsoever)
2. Low-profile head design (for maneuvering around my big shnoz)
3. Stainless Steel

I'm currently using a Maggard V3A which hits point 1 above, but not 2 and 3. I also have some pretty wiry stubble and think I can handle a smidge more aggression. My radar has led me to the Razorock GC OC. It looks like its hitting all the points above but I wanted to make sure I asked everyones opinion first. Here's a few of my concerns:

1. Does the comb itself feel sharp against the skin?
2. Is it not as maneuverable as it appears?
3. Is there way more blade exposure and feel compared to the V3A?

Any thoughts are very much appreciated. Happy shaving!

Hmmm. It's hard to think of razor that fits your criteria other than RR GC OC. However, Razorock is coming up with an version 2 of their SLOC/DOC razor. There is a picture posted on IG. I believe it's aluminum but just letting you know.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Not sure how you feel about old used ones, but I have NEVER had a better shave than with my Gillette NEW Long Comb that @Tanuki gifted me.

Addressing your concerns:

I can’t speak to #3. To compare to another razor, I think there is more blade feel to my brass Karve with the OC D plate. The RR GC OC is more like the Karve OC C. So, a little aggressive but nothing dramatic.

1 No the comb doesn’t feel sharp. I use OCs a lot, so I am quite used to them. The comb on my ATT R2 does feel a little sharp. The RR GC OC JAWS version might feel sharp to you.

2 It is quite maneuverable and will fit into tight spaces. More so than the Karve, similar to a Gillette NEW, less so than the various Gillette old type heads or their clones. I think that short (3”, 75mm) skinny (3/8”, 9-10mm) handles help a lot on maneuverability.

Bottom line - the GameChanger OC head, on your preferred handle, is a great place to start out, or end up, in the OC world.

Hmmm. It's hard to think of razor that fits your criteria other than RR GC OC. However, Razorock is coming up with an version 2 of their SLOC/DOC razor. There is a picture posted on IG. I believe it's aluminum but just letting you know.

Thanks Timeclo, I also have my eye on the JAWS.....I should probably just shave with what has been working for me but I don't know, I think I need to give an OC a try.

Not sure how you feel about old used ones, but I have NEVER had a better shave than with my Gillette NEW Long Comb that @Tanuki gifted me.

I was looking at those on the bay. For what these new SS RR's cost, I have a hard time justifying $30+ for a used razor that might not place the blade straight. If there's on pet peeve of mine, it's blade alignment!

Addressing your concerns:

I can’t speak to #3. To compare to another razor, I think there is more blade feel to my brass Karve with the OC D plate. The RR GC OC is more like the Karve OC C. So, a little aggressive but nothing dramatic.

1 No the comb doesn’t feel sharp. I use OCs a lot, so I am quite used to them. The comb on my ATT R2 does feel a little sharp. The RR GC OC JAWS version might feel sharp to you.

2 It is quite maneuverable and will fit into tight spaces. More so than the Karve, similar to a Gillette NEW, less so than the various Gillette old type heads or their clones. I think that short (3”, 75mm) skinny (3/8”, 9-10mm) handles help a lot on maneuverability.

Bottom line - the GameChanger OC head, on your preferred handle, is a great place to start out, or end up, in the OC world.

Thank you Tanuki, this information is very helpful to me. I've never tried an OC razor so probably just need to dive in, buy one, and see. Thanks for the Karve cross-reference, I have been looking at those too. I'm only a 2-pass shaver, never ATG, so I just might be ok with any of these as long as I'm super careful. I remember going from the V3 to the V3A. Yes the A was more dangerous yet cut through way easier. Most of the irritation I get these days is from having to go over the same spot multiple times. Perhaps a single uber sharp swipe is all that I need. Thanks!

Thanks Timeclo, I also have my eye on the JAWS.....I should probably just shave with what has been working for me but I don't know, I think I need to give an OC a try.

I think the GC OC beats JAWS on the sharp comb and maneuverability issues. More teeth = smoother ride.

As for Gillette prices, if you are ever in vintage/antique stores, old 3-piece Gillettes can be pretty darn cheap sometimes. But if you are an blade alignment fanatic and a budget shaver, RazoRock’s machined razors are very hard to beat.

Feathers?

I've been happy with Personna Israeli Red's lately. I may revisit a Feather though, the few times I tried them was in the early DE shave days using a cheapie TTO with negative blade exposure. I was probably pushing too hard trying to make it cut and got the full blunt force of that ultra sharp edge.

I think the GC OC beats JAWS on the sharp comb and maneuverability issues. More teeth = smoother ride.

As for Gillette prices, if you are ever in vintage/antique stores, old 3-piece Gillettes can be pretty darn cheap sometimes. But if you are an blade alignment fanatic and a budget shaver, RazoRock’s machined razors are very hard to beat.

Thanks for the heads up on the Jaws!

I have been very good with razor expenditures so far. In the last year I only spent $30 on razors. PIF'd the TTO and V3 and was reverse PIF'd the V3A. If I could ratchet things up a notch in the razor dept. for less than $70, I am doing pretty good overall. My V3 had alignment issues....never again! I have great glasses but it's not worth the headaches for me.

I’ve not used the V3 before but I do have the RR .84 OC. It requires some attention and has plenty of blade feel (I normally enjoy milder razors), but there’s nothing sharp edged on it (other than the blade of course) or anything otherwise prohibitive of a great shave. It’s more aggressive than a Gillette NEW by a couple steps, but still a good bit more docile than a Fatip OC.

I was looking at those on the bay. For what these new SS RR's cost, I have a hard time justifying $30+ for a used razor that might not place the blade straight. If there's on pet peeve of mine, it's blade alignment!
I may be wrong, but I’ve never heard of a NEW having alignment issues unless it was damaged in some way. I have a NEW LC and it’s a great little shaver! Vintage Gillette had their alignment down pretty pat; it’s amazing it seems to be such a herculean effort for some modern companies...

Gillette had their alignment down pretty pat; it’s amazing it seems to be such a herculean effort for some modern companies...

Thanks for that info Chris, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. The alignment is really a deal breaker for me but I'd love to try a vintage razor if that's less likely to be an issue.

I agree with the assessment of Gillette NE
Thanks for that info Chris, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. The alignment is really a deal breaker for me but I'd love to try a vintage razor if that's less likely to be an issue.
I have a bunch of Gillette NEWs. I shave with one every day. Alignment on all of them has always been perfect.

Look around on E-Bay & Etsy, since new postings for vintage Razors are added every day. Look at the pictures and you can usually tell the difference between just plain old soap scum and actual corrosion and plating loss. When in doubt, ask the seller.
I got a bakelite handle Gillette Pre War Tech really cheap. It was the kind relatives throw away when cleaning out Grandpa's drawers after he passes on. The handle cleaned up to like new, but the head was worn and the baseplate had pits and corrosion. I cleaned it all up, re-nickeled the head & it looks like sin, but shaves like brand new. Old, and neglected & the blade alignment remains as perfectcas the day it was made. The same applies to all my Techs, Old & New Types Super Speeds and the rest.
This $10 New Long Comb arrived in the mail yesterday. I scrubbed it up & buffed it out and re-nickleled it last nite. It shaves like brand new - no misalignment, and only a small dent in the end of the handle.

New LC Fat Handle.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My main criteria are:

1. Foolproof blade alignment (no fiddling whatsoever)
2. Low-profile head design (for maneuvering around my big shnoz)
3. Stainless Steel

Any thoughts are very much appreciated. Happy shaving!

I think you're missing a bet by not looking at ATT's S2. It has foolproof blade alignment (I offer as evidence that I have been called a fool, yet I have no problems getting the blade lined up. Must be foolproof...). It has a fairly low-profile head design (I offer as evidence that I have a big schnozz, but on the other hand I'm a head shaver so that's not relevant). And it is stainless steel. Sounds like it has everything you want.

O.H.

Thank you Tanuki, this information is very helpful to me. I've never tried an OC razor so probably just need to dive in, buy one, and see. Thanks for the Karve cross-reference, I have been looking at those too. I'm only a 2-pass shaver, never ATG, so I just might be ok with any of these as long as I'm super careful. I remember going from the V3 to the V3A. Yes the A was more dangerous yet cut through way easier. Most of the irritation I get these days is from having to go over the same spot multiple times. Perhaps a single uber sharp swipe is all that I need. Thanks!

I'm a 2 pass daily shaver as well. I don't shave ATG either and I can use an OC every day so I don't think you will have issues. I have a a few vintage Gillettes and they don't always line up even on both sides without messing with them, so I don't use them. They will align correctly. I just don't like fooling with it. I like the tolerances of modern cnc machined razors and not having to fool with aligning the blade is well worth the extra expense for me.

Top Bottom