What's new

First (Novice) Use: The Winning Razor

WARNING: The following observations and experiences are those of a novice safety razor user, returning to the art of safety razors from a 45 years interlude with a cartridge razor.

I am not new here. I already received my fair share of generous welcomes. It was you all who got me this far. Thank you!

This morning was tabbed for a first shave with The Winning Razor (WTR). As a beginner and new to this razor, I hadn't the slightest clue about blade matchups for this razor. I guessed that it, being categorized as a mild razor, might do best with a "sharper," highly-regarded blade. Ergo, Gillette Silver Blue GSB. Maybe, I think.

First few passes were very satisfying. The razor found its own angle quickly - I had to perform very few angle adjustments, even around my problem areas (chin, lips, base of nose). Good start. I seem to be very lucky at finding correct angles for a variety of razors, or there still is some ghost of experience from my young man-years. (I'm pretty sure I had some.) I'd rather be lucky than skillful. It happens more often. The angle held true for all maneuvers, all passes.

Absolutely no tugging or cutting feelings were observed throughout the two (2) pass + buff stages. I did notice what others have reported: There is a sucking, vacuuming, adhesive feel as the razor progresses along the skin. Almost certain it wasn't blade or bar drag. I was not bothered at all by this "slowing" or lack of glide. As a novice, it actually helps me to slow and shorten the strokes, especially with first-time razor and blade. I suspect (but do not know) that the effect is caused by the amount of contact between the metal surface of the razor face and the skin when held at a proper angle.

The GSB blade? Hell if I know. Been doing much practicing with SE razors so, with the exception of some Qshave blades (supplied with razor), I have no benchmark. I will say that I did achieve a DFS+ (always my goal), had only blemish weepers and had no irritation. The only important conclusion? The blade, razor and operator were in synchronicity.

Wow, this stuff is FUN!

Really great to hear another review of The Winning Razor after last year's thread. I suspect the extra weight over the Henson is really helping you maintain the right angle. It might be worth trying a Kai just for the heck of it because they are a tiny bit wider. I always try that in neutral razors.

I'm glad you liked it. It's the razor I reach for the most. I've found that it does nicely with most blades. The Tatras that came with it were complete trash and I've got some counterfeit blades that are terrible in the Winning Razor but are decent in two other razors. The "suction" can be reduced by using a thinner, wetter lather, but after several uses you won't even notice it anymore.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
WARNING: The following observations and experiences are those of a novice safety razor user, returning to the art of safety razors from a 45 years interlude with a cartridge razor.

I am not new here. I already received my fair share of generous welcomes. It was you all who got me this far. Thank you!

This morning was tabbed for a first shave with The Winning Razor (WTR). As a beginner and new to this razor, I hadn't the slightest clue about blade matchups for this razor. I guessed that it, being categorized as a mild razor, might do best with a "sharper," highly-regarded blade. Ergo, Gillette Silver Blue GSB. Maybe, I think.

First few passes were very satisfying. The razor found its own angle quickly - I had to perform very few angle adjustments, even around my problem areas (chin, lips, base of nose). Good start. I seem to be very lucky at finding correct angles for a variety of razors, or there still is some ghost of experience from my young man-years. (I'm pretty sure I had some.) I'd rather be lucky than skillful. It happens more often. The angle held true for all maneuvers, all passes.

Absolutely no tugging or cutting feelings were observed throughout the two (2) pass + buff stages. I did notice what others have reported: There is a sucking, vacuuming, adhesive feel as the razor progresses along the skin. Almost certain it wasn't blade or bar drag. I was not bothered at all by this "slowing" or lack of glide. As a novice, it actually helps me to slow and shorten the strokes, especially with first-time razor and blade. I suspect (but do not know) that the effect is caused by the amount of contact between the metal surface of the razor face and the skin when held at a proper angle.

The GSB blade? Hell if I know. Been doing much practicing with SE razors so, with the exception of some Qshave blades (supplied with razor), I have no benchmark. I will say that I did achieve a DFS+ (always my goal), had only blemish weepers and had no irritation. The only important conclusion? The blade, razor and operator were in synchronicity.

Wow, this stuff is FUN!

I am a first timer DE shaver, and owner of a Feather AS-D2 razor. Unlike you, I am starting out as a beginner and learning as I go. The Feather doesn't provide a suction feeling thank goodness. Infact, I am surprised to hear of any DE razor, making a suction feeling, thats strange indeed.

Now because the Feather is a mild shaver, I too have learned, that it seems to work best by making small strokes, instead of long ones. Giving the razor enough time to get at the hairs. And your right, proper angle is key as I've learned, whenever your using a DE razor, absolutely!

Another thing that is important is your soap lather. You gotta get it just right, so that its nice and slick on your face. The minute your starting to feel friction on your DE, stop, get some water on there to re-moisten the lather on your face, you want that razor to glide.

Cause friction is a one way ticket to nicks, cuts, weepers, you name it. Your DE razor likes a good lather for a good time, and your face will thank you! Even though I am a beginner, I am learning fast. I am learning the do's, and the don'ts.

Our DE hobby is not really a pick up and go routine. Everything takes careful planning. But it all requires you to slow down and take your time, don't rush it. Even I had to learn this, the reason why I was doing a better job with my angle after the 2nd shave, is because I slowed down.

When you allow yourself to take your time, its easier to maintain the angle and the pressure. For my Feather, 0 pressure is really needed. And for most DE razors, I believe that to be the case. And if you got an aggressive razor, you gotta be super careful with that, cause that razor is not going to be as forgiving as a Feather.

I am glad that you have returned. For me, its simply the beginning, and already 300 dollars spent. I didn't just step into the rabbit hole, I went head first into it. You can't imagine the thing's I've seen, the thing's I've done, for I will never be the same. I'm just kidding! :lol:

Thank you for writing your story, it was a fun read. Check out my thread if you would like on my Feather razor. You guys tell such great stories, love reading them. Alright, I need to stop writing though, cause I got a pot of percolated coffee with my name on it. hehe

For you, spirograph, what sharp blades does your TWR like? And thanks for reading/replying.
Give a Feather a try, I’ve found it works really well and the razor design seems to cut out some of the “bite” that Feathers can have.

Give a Feather a try, I’ve found it works really well and the razor design seems to cut out some of the “bite” that Feathers can have.
Yeah, the Feather was the blade that convinced me it was a great razor but other sharp blades have worked well, such as the Astra blade in it now. It loves the feather though.

Like @borwish says, after a short while you won't notice the extra drag. I sometimes wonder if the feeling might be due to the way the blade is tightly clamped and bent. A blade in the Winning razor has no wiggle room and I have never felt blade chatter with that razor. It is hands down my favorite razor. It just shaves me so close and with no irritation.

Today had my third shave with the above combination The Winning Razor and GSB.

Second shave was smoother and more efficient than the first. I imagine (but am not sure) that it was a combination of my refining use of this wonderful instrument, slight improvement/adjustments in my techniques and second use of this (so far) satisfying blade. Felt no emerging stubble until 15 hours after shave. No irritation. Cooling sensation post-shave with witch hazel.

Third use today and DOUBLE WOW, this is as close to a BBS shave as I have ever achieved. Few weepers were skin blemishes (no use of styptic). Only subtle difference from last two shaves with the GSB was a slight audible sound of hairs being cut, and only on the second pass + buff. Again, no irritation. Now, 8 hours post shave and it still feels BBS.

Is The Winning Razor + GSB spoiling me away from further experimentation with razors and blades? I never thought that possible. I expect that feeling will wane. I do have a new Karve Overlander in the on-deck circle.

Today had my third shave with the above combination The Winning Razor and GSB.

Second shave was smoother and more efficient than the first. I imagine (but am not sure) that it was a combination of my refining use of this wonderful instrument, slight improvement/adjustments in my techniques and second use of this (so far) satisfying blade. Felt no emerging stubble until 15 hours after shave. No irritation. Cooling sensation post-shave with witch hazel.

Third use today and DOUBLE WOW, this is as close to a BBS shave as I have ever achieved. Few weepers were skin blemishes (no use of styptic). Only subtle difference from last two shaves with the GSB was a slight audible sound of hairs being cut, and only on the second pass + buff. Again, no irritation. Now, 8 hours post shave and it still feels BBS.

Is The Winning Razor + GSB spoiling me away from further experimentation with razors and blades? I never thought that possible. I expect that feeling will wane. I do have a new Karve Overlander in the on-deck circle.
Last summer I purchased a Wolfman WR2 1.15 and ordered a Winning razor. I have already owned and used a Timeless .68 SS SB, Rockwell 6S, Gillette Tech (1950's model), British Gillette Aristocrat, Gillette Heritage, Gillette Slim adjustable, FOCS and a Henson AL13 medium and probably a couple of others that I can't remember. I would say yes, for me, the Winning razor just shaves better than all of them. I used to enjoy shaving with different razors but I rarely do anymore. What's the point when I know that the Winning razor will give me the shave that I am looking for more easily than the others? I don't want to discourage you from trying and using different razors but you might have to look long and hard to find a razor that shaves better than the Winning razor. I haven't tried the razor with a GSB but the Nacet has become my favorite blade in that razor.

Just finished the fourth shave as my introduction to The Winning Razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade. This shave went less well than the prior three shaves.

After shave # 3, discovered that the grain of my neck beard below my left jaw/ear vicinity actually runs laterally across my neck (rather than up/down). So, attempted to remedy using a sideways pass against the grain. The blade just wasn't up to that task. In addition, the entire shave was less smooth, draggy in fact. Evening growth could be slightly detected.

For now, I'll assume that the blade has ended its useful life, not surprising given the course, dense nature of my old man beard. Out goes that blade, to be replaced by a fresh GSB. I'll stick to that blade brand for a month, hoping to draw some valid conclusions about its inclusion in TWR shaves.

And so it goes...

Top Bottom