What's new

First No-Nick Shave!

Hi everyone. I am a new wet shaver and wanted to post my appreciation for this forum and contributors.

I had a beard for the last 8 years and only used cartridge razors and electric razors before that. I recently botched my beard line - and decided to shave it all off. I kind of liked it, and decided to go all-in and give wet shaving a try. I've been doing it about 4 weeks now, shaving 3x a week. And I just experienced my first no-nick shave - and zero redness! This forum had a lot to do with that. The recommendations I received here were super valuable.

It took lots of trial and error to get here. A lot did not work for me at all. I was getting a lot of irritation and I considered giving up and going back to cartridge razors. But I'm glad I stuck with it.

Through research on this forum, the biggest leaps forward came from 3 things: Better lathering technique... Better blades (I read the forum on best blades for Henson razors)... And better aftershave (I read that a lot of you use Speick, and that literally saved my neck!).

What I used today...

Razor: Henson mild
Blade: Voskhod
Soap: Barrister and Mann (Seville)
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3 synthetic
Pre-Shave: Lather & Wood Unscented Oil
Aftershave: Speick Aftershave Lotion (splash)

I'm going to continue to experiment with different blades. And I honestly didn't like the oil too much, so I will try no Pre-Shave at all next time.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Welcome,
Congrats on your decision to discard cartridges, you will open an entire new universe of endless number of combinations of hardware&software. You have already made an improvement, keep moving forward.
Enjoy !

Top Bottom