What's new

First month of DE shaving

So after buying some new cartridges that felt just as blunt as the one I had just thrown away. I thought that I would give DE razors a go. Small initial outlay for a razor and blades at a fraction of the cost of carts. Its cheaper if you dont take into account RAD.

First razor I purchased had QC issues, ended up returning it. I then found an un-used aluminium handled Gillette Tech to continue with.

Tried five different blades, initially started with 6 shaves per blade but they seemed to dull after only four. Still sharp but the shave comfort would decrease. Slowly built up to the Feather which is a great blade super smooth but seemed to lose its edge quickly.

So now I can get a nice shave from my Tech, still some areas that aren't great but very passable shave for work. Much better than a cartridge. Main issues are my jaw line and the neck area which I am slowly working out. Haven't developed a firm routine yet. I'm sure I will get there, some great information on here to help.

Currently managing to keep RAD at bay, buying less than one razor a week I now own three Techs. Still on only one soap and one brush.

So I intend to continue with my Tech, perhaps acquire a few more blades to try. But I would like to add a more "efficient" razor without losing the comfort. Something to tackle a few days growth. What would be the next step up from a Tech, prefer non Zamac? Gillette OC New, Fatip Piccolo! Everyday shaving is two passes and clean up and two to three days growth is three passes with a clean up. But some areas require "buffing" during passes.

TLDR: After thirty days I think I'm ready for a more efficient razor thats preferably as smooth as a Tech. And if I stop buying razors I might start buying soaps and brushes :D

Depending on your budget, you might consider a Feather AS-D2. I don't have a Tech, but I do have an AS-D2, and it's a delight to shave with. Some gents here on the forum say that it shaves very much like a tech.

Not all Techs are the same as I'm sure you have realised by now and they can be made more efficient by adding shims to change the blade angle, you just cut down old blades and use them as shims I think.
Do a search here and see if it's something that you might want to try.
Stick with the Tech and keep experimenting with blades and soaps ... for now :)

Yes, I think its a case of getting my technique down. Some days are better than others and if I took all the best bits from different days I would have a perfect shave. So a more efficient razor might not solve any issues, but it doesnt hurt to look :D

Depending on your budget, you might consider a Feather AS-D2. I don't have a Tech, but I do have an AS-D2, and it's a delight to shave with. Some gents here on the forum say that it shaves very much like a tech.

+1

AS-D2 is the only razor I have used since getting it in March. I have not gone more than 48 hours between shaves since getting it.

If you find cartridge razors to be too dull, it sounds like you have a very tough beard. Tough beards are best dealt with my using very sharp razor blades in more efficient razors. The Gillette tech is a mild razor, The Feather AS-D2 is also a very mild razor. Mild razors are great for those just developing their shaving technique, but not so great at dealing with a tough beard.

What you have not stated is how sensitive you skin is. Do you have any issues with irritation from shaving?

You did not mention your pre-shave routine. For those with tough beards, I recommend showering before shaving. You want your beard to be clean, well hydrated and softened before your shave. I use shampoo and conditioner on my beard as well as my hair. Just do not use on of the conditioners designed to repair damaged hair, split ends, etc.

I have a very tough beard and very sensitive skin. I like using very sharp blades in efficient, aggressive razors to deal with the beard, but some combinations of blades and razors become too rough for my skin. Thus, in very aggressive razors with significant skin feel, I like using mid-sharp blades. In less aggressive razors, I like using the very sharpest blades. The key is find the right razor and right blade for that razor.

Thus, I would suggest that you try sharper blades in your Tech razors, or look for a more efficient razor. With my tough beard, I rarely get more than three shaves out of a blade before it becomes either too dull, or too harsh. Some very sharp blades I recommend for a mild razor like the Tech are: BIC Chrome Platinum, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, Gillette Nacets, Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 (not the regular ST301 blades), German Wilkinson Sword Classics (not the Gillette Wilkinson Sword), and Personna Israeli Reds (not the USA Lab Blues which as a less sharp when new). In an attempt to get a close shave, do not make the mistake of applying pressure to the razor as you shave. You are better off with multiple light passes.

There are razors that are efficient without being terribly aggressive. I have a Parker 24C open comb that is very efficient, yet not particularly aggressive. However, when shaving with an open comb, you may have to modify your shaving technique to use a more shallow blade angle if you are currently shaving with a steeper blade angle. Otherwise, you will scrape the beard off your face rather than slicing through the stubble. Some people like the Fatip open combs, but they tend to suffer from questionable fit and finish issues and some have blade alignment issues. Since you are a new shaver, I would recommend avoiding the Fatip razors for now.

In very aggressive razors like the Muhle R41, I like using mid-sharp blades like 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow, Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blue, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod, etc. If I try using the sharper blades I use in a mild razor, my face would suffer.

One thing you might want to try is an adjustable razor, either a vintage razor or a new one like the Parker Variant, Merkur Progress or Futur, or one of the razors with interchangeable base plates like the Rockwell 6S or Karve. The Rockwell is slightly more expensive, but it comes with a series of base plates. You can start out with plate R1 which will be mild and then work your way up to plate R6 as your technique improves.

The Karve razor comes with only a single base plate, but you can purchase additional plates as needed. I have a Karve brass razor with a solid bar D-plate that gives amazingly smooth, efficient shaves. I am considering either getting an E-plate or an open comb D-plate to get even more efficiency. I am not certain my sensitive face will tolerate an F-plate , especially in an open comb. For a new shaver, a D-plate might be too aggressive to start, especially with a very sharp blade. I do not have a Rockwell 6S, but I understand that the Karve D plate is similar to the Rockwell R6 plate in efficiency.

For those with tough beards, having a great shaving soap can also help deal with your beard without getting irritation. Check the shaving soap threads for recommendations.

Get yourself a Gillette adjustable like a Fatboy, Slim, or Black Beauty. They are great shavers and you can experiment and find out what you like.

Never any harm in looking at other razors, but I would also agree with many previous posts to stick with the Tech and work on technique for now.

In my Tech I enjoy the Nacet, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, Personna Israeli Reds and the Gillette Perma-Sharp.

Welcome to B&B!

Thanks for all the feedback lots to consider.

Blades

1. Derby, started shaving with these so probably not best to judge these. But the next blade I tried felt so much better.
2. Astra, get a nice comfortable shave with these. A little burning on occasion.
3. Personna (reds), initially hated these in the EJ. Barely managed two shaves before binning the blade. Really nice in the Tech, sharp and nice comfort level.
4. Perma Sharp, didn't really like these. Face felt a little raw after but no signs of irritation. Will give them another shot.
5. Feather, Sharp and smooth, very nice. Fourth shave started to feel a bit rough.

Skin sensitivity. Don't get any redness but my skin will feel scrapped or slight burning sensation after shaving sometimes. But this varies with blade and shave to shave. Either do a couple of WTG with a XTG pass or one WTG and two XTG passes. ATG I can maybe get away with on some parts of the face, tried it on the neck and it left my skin very sensitive.

Pre shave, wash face with warm cloth and then hold on face for a minute. Showering strips all the oils from my skin and makes it squeaky clean which can make the top cap judder.

Finding the Personna and Feather blades to give the best shaves. And I am trying to shave so the blade cuts the hair rather than scrapes it off.

Adjustable razor is a possibility Razorock 6S or something like the Parker Variant. Karve looks really nice but which one to buy? Vintage would have to be super clean example, something like a slim. Probably going to get a slim at some stage and an open comb NEW. Not totally against Zamac but if an equivalent is available is in SS or brass it would be the last choice.

One soap, Arko, one brush, Omega Boar. To go with my one face :D

Next stage is to probably stick with the Tech and maybe try a different soap.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback lots to consider.

Blades

1. Derby, started shaving with these so probably not best to judge these. But the next blade I tried felt so much better.
2. Astra, get a nice comfortable shave with these. A little burning on occasion.
3. Personna (reds), initially hated these in the EJ. Barely managed two shaves before binning the blade. Really nice in the Tech, sharp and nice comfort level.
4. Perma Sharp, didn't really like these. Face felt a little raw after but no signs of irritation. Will give them another shot.
5. Feather, Sharp and smooth, very nice. Fourth shave started to feel a bit rough.

Skin sensitivity. Don't get any redness but my skin will feel scrapped or slight burning sensation after shaving sometimes. But this varies with blade and shave to shave. Either do a couple of WTG with a XTG pass or one WTG and two XTG passes. ATG I can maybe get away with on some parts of the face, tried it on the neck and it left my skin very sensitive.

Pre shave, wash face with warm cloth and then hold on face for a minute. Showering strips all the oils from my skin and makes it squeaky clean which can make the top cap judder.

Finding the Personna and Feather blades to give the best shaves. And I am trying to shave so the blade cuts the hair rather than scrapes it off.

Adjustable razor is a possibility Razorock 6S or something like the Parker Variant. Karve looks really nice but which one to buy? Vintage would have to be super clean example, something like a slim. Probably going to get a slim at some stage and an open comb NEW. Not totally against Zamac but if an equivalent is available is in SS or brass it would be the last choice.

One soap, Arko, one brush, Omega Boar. To go with my one face :D

Next stage is to probably stick with the Tech and maybe try a different soap.

Welcome Robknock31,

Since, you are getting decent shaves with a tech you should stick with it but try other blades like a Nacet yellow 7 O'Clock and BICs. I find Nacet really cheap and great in a tech the 7 O'Clock n BICs are great blades and very smooth.

I hate Astras, I always get razor burn that I don't get from my other blades.

I love English techs with the brass handle and new short combs. The NSC is really awesome. The fatip piccolo is fantastic if you are ok messing about with aligning the blades.

The slim or fatboy is just ok, I get better shaves with my English Tech n NSC anyday.

For soaps try proraso, WMS and MWF. For brushes you can try Yaqi syns and their badgers as there's a sale ongoing now.

Yaqi Triplets.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Still sticking with the Tech as the shaves seem to be improving every week and shave time is coming down :D
I do have a Gillette NEW OC on the way!

First of all, welcome. Glad to read about your successes! The Tech is loved by many, myself included. The NEW OC should be a great purchase for you, congrats! Keep us posted. And most of all, enjoy!!!

Still sticking with the Tech as the shaves seem to be improving every week and shave time is coming down :D
I do have a Gillette NEW OC on the way!

The NSC is AWESOME!!!! Hope you love it if not I'll gladly take it off your hands lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom