What's new

First meer…

Well, I just got first meerschaum pipe yesterday. It’s a simple apple from France. No case or labels, little rough…but good for a daily driver.

I need to clean it a little more and get a new stem. This ones been chewed through. I ghetto rigged it with some electrical tape for now.

BUT…I must say, I think I like it more than the briar I have. Smoke seems cooler and more flavorful. The stem is clogged or restrictive so I had to relight a few times. Only downside is the bowl seems really big and needs a lot of tobacco. Between the depth and the weak draw, my poor flame couldn’t get down in there.

Side note: Think there was some vintage flake in the bottom…had a real…uh…unique (musty) taste at the end.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Restoration of estate pipes is a hobby in itself. I hope you enjoy the fixer up part as much as the smoking part!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Is there a good resource for how to restore a meer?

Restoring a meer is a bit trickier than restoring a briar. Go easy and slow is even more important with a meer.

What are you wanting to do to the meer to restore it? Just clean and sanitize, or are you looking to remove surface scratches, improve the airway, rewax, etc? I’ve restored a lot of pipes so I can answer questions and point you in the right direction.

Restoring a meer is a bit trickier than restoring a briar. Go easy and slow is even more important with a meer.

What are you wanting to do to the meer to restore it? Just clean and sanitize, or are you looking to remove surface scratches, improve the airway, rewax, etc? I’ve restored a lot of pipes so I can answer questions and point you in the right direction.

Mine looks like an old restem job. The tenon seems a little undersized maybe. How can you remove the old mortise? I’m afraid it’s probably glued in. It’s also recessed below the surface.

This wasn’t an expensive pipe, but I don’t want to wreck it either.

Perhaps I should just go with it and replace the stem using a new tenon. I believe it’s 5.XXmm (I measured but forgot).

Hirsute

Mine looks like an old restem job. The tenon seems a little undersized maybe. How can you remove the old mortise? I’m afraid it’s probably glued in. It’s also recessed below the surface.

This wasn’t an expensive pipe, but I don’t want to wreck it either.

Perhaps I should just go with it and replace the stem using a new tenon. I believe it’s 5.XXmm (I measured but forgot).

Can you post some pics bothe with the stem in and with it out so I can see how it’s all put together?

Hirsute

The mortise insert is likely threaded into the meer, but it may be (1) really hard to remove because of age and gunk, or (2) glued in. You can try inserting a tapered screwdriver into the mortise so it makes contact with the insert but doesn't connect with the meer below or on the top part of the mortise showing, and gently put pressure on it and try turning the insert. Should probably loosen if you turn it to the left (counterclockwise). If it doesn't budge, I'd leave it alone or send it to a professional. One thing I note is that the tenon on the pipe is very narrow, which is common in a lot of meers. A competent repairer could remove the tenon, drill out the mortise insert slightly so it will take a larger tenon, and then install a larger tenon. You could also give it a go if you're adventurous. The tenon is probably threaded into the stem and may be threaded the opposite direction of the mortise insert.

Top Bottom