What's new

First Lather With The Fat

The lemon-cream scent smells good. It looks like it may stay that way and not get annoying. It's lightly fragranced like Haslinger. But it seems like it'll take longer and more water to lather properly. The best news is that I left it on my face for 5 minutes and I didn't have a reaction from the lanolin. I didn't have the supernatural experience that others have reported. Washing it off felt like Haslinger Sandalwood and Honig. It's much harder than Haslingers, too. Can't wait to see how it works when shaving.

Do report back after you've used it.

I've got the entire haslingers line and whilst they are awesome, mwf post shave is by the the most awesome for me!

Definitely a keeper IMHO. I find that the ratio of water to product is a bit less forgiving than Haslinger's, so give yourself awhile to dial it it!

Enjoy!

MWF can be a little fussy to get the water to soap ratio right but when you do it is a good solid soap. I have just been using Haslingers Scharfsmilch soap this past week and found it less fussy than MWF to lather up. Enjoy your first shave with MWF.

Bob

I love MWF, my favourite soap by far.
I'd love to try Haslinger but can't seem to find it in Australia and the postage kills buying it internationaly

Load up with a just past damp brush, use more product, and slowly add water by dipping the brush tips as you build.

Heaven!

Lasts longer than Schafsmilch, which is why I give it the overall edge as my favorite.

Enjoy!

Load up with a just past damp brush, use more product, and slowly add water by dipping the brush tips as you build.

Heaven!
Enjoy!
+1

ive never understood what all the hubbub is when people complain about lathering up MWF. I have the hardest water on the planet as I must rinse the aerator on my sink every other day of calcium. My MWF puck lathers up just fine with a boar brush and a pre-soak bloom for 5 minutes in warm (not hot) water. It may take a solid 1 minute to do so, but so what, it's fun! Nice thick peaky lather that lasts on my face. It's not that difficult, nor is it rocket science folks.

I've been spoiled by Haslinger. I've got it down to where I can do it blindfolded almost. But it took practice to lather Haslinger. It'll be the same with this. I have more practice now under my belt. I was going to try Schafmllch first, but the Haslinger thread has led to it being sold out at Maggards and a couple of other outlets. So when MWF finally came back in stock, I bought it.

Added more soap and a little more water. BOOM! It's hard to give an accurate assessment of the performance. I was also trying Pol-Silvers for the first time. But it's fluffier and slicker than Haslinger. Cushion may be a little less. Though it could be the Pol-Silvers were sharp. The post-shave is the same or a little better. The scent is nice in a luxury hotel way. I still love Haslinger Sandalwood.

The Fat is pretty darn awesome, but it does take practice to perfect. There is a very fine line with it and the only way to master it is to use it and find that magical moment. It's not a beginners soap. You have to use it for quite a while to crack the safe on it, but it's worth it.

If I started with MWF as my first soap instead of Haslinger, I probably would have given up and stayed with creams or maybe soft soaps.

The Fat is pretty darn awesome, but it does take practice to perfect. There is a very fine line with it and the only way to master it is to use it and find that magical moment. It's not a beginners soap. You have to use it for quite a while to crack the safe on it, but it's worth it.
Indeed...and then, you'll have no trouble with lathering any soap. (for me, Williams may be the exception...)

+1

ive never understood what all the hubbub is when people complain about lathering up MWF. I have the hardest water on the planet as I must rinse the aerator on my sink every other day of calcium. My MWF puck lathers up just fine with a boar brush and a pre-soak bloom for 5 minutes in warm (not hot) water. It may take a solid 1 minute to do so, but so what, it's fun! Nice thick peaky lather that lasts on my face. It's not that difficult, nor is it rocket science folks.

Spoken like a true MWF devotee. I'm in the same camp. MWF lathers like a champ for me also. It should lather for anyone really.

Funny. It was my very first soap and it immediately convinced me to switch from creams. I found it more forgiving than TOBS. Even when the water ratio wasn't perfect it was still better feeling than my creams. In fact, after my first lather I thought that the feeling of this soap was the reason I got into wet shaving in the first place. So I think its fine its a beginner soap. But I guess your mileage may vary.

I do completely agree that it takes a little while to master the absolute perfect ratio, but I think that's true of any soap.

I just wish they made a matching aftershave.

I know some people say it just smells like soap, but it's scented with something. Something wonderful. I just wish I could figure out what it is.

Top Bottom