What's new

first kamisori

i finally acquired my first kamisori

i noticed that edge has smile
i do not know if this intentional or from wear
i do not think the smiling spine= smiling edge rule applies here
are kamisori's traditionally straight?
for now I am going to hone it with smile

Traditional kamisoris are dead straight, there are some hybrids though (kamisori style grind with scales) never heard of a smiling one before though.
Got a picture?

That’s what I thought... straight. I’ll post image when I get home. It has more issues other than smile which I think I can hone around...

Smiling edge... ura side... not as bad as other side
3DF838FF-3171-452B-997D-F411CC659F2D.jpeg

Omote... Red arrow... weird secondary bevel? Hard to photograph but there are some deep rust spots I'm chasing on bevel north of arrow..... I have learned a lot from it already! I’m guessing bad geometry to start....

F461CEBD-78CB-4121-972D-51C61BF5B7C2.jpeg

I making some progress. Spent approx 30 minutes with 1k to get it this far. think it can be salvaged?

Yeah, looks like it has a crack running along the edge on the second picture, which could have bent the edge and given unequal spine and edge wear.
This is ALOT of work if you want to fix it.
If you do decide to I would tape the spine sooner than later, hone out the edge over the crack, measure bevel angle, and start correcting it from there.
May save you alot of pain to just buy a new one.
This is not an ordinary fix.

It sure does look like a crack, even if it's just folded the problem will kind of be the same.
Where did you buy it? Can you see the crack on the pictures when you bought it? Anything about the edge on the crack in the description?
Send the vendor these pictures, intentional or unintentional, you should get a refund if it was specifically not on the pictures and in the item description.

Top Bottom