What's new

First(ish) SE shave, and noob review of RazoRock Hawk v2

Hello all,

I used my new RazoRock Hawk v2 for the first time this morning.

Although I've been stuck in the cartridge razor loop for many years, when I first began shaving I did use cheap single edge Bic disposables for a while, so this isn't really my first SE shave - however today's experience was far, far better!

Having recently begun shaving my head and beard lines with a SR, and thoroughly enjoying the learning curve, nonetheless I still require a good safety razor for travel and days when I have little time.

My preference was for one that used the same blades as my Feather Artist Club SS. Want was there for an Oren V2, however this was prohibitively expensive. Not to mention the other beautiful alternatives such as the Cobra Classic. After some forum research, I identified the RR Hawk v2 as a good potential choice.

Razorock Black Hawk V2

RazoRock Hawk V2

Kudos to @Icedorrk and @Viseguy among others for sharing their thoughts and experiences.

My v2 Hawk was sold by rasoimilano on eBay, and arrived quickly and well packaged. I chose the black anodised version. The fit and finish are very good indeed. The CNC machining has been done well and the to me the razor exudes quality despite its relatively low price point. My only note of caution would be to take care when reassembling the razor, as (like all aluminium threads), cross-threading will be easy to do and difficult to fix. I used it with a Feather Pro blade. I have a box of Proguard blades also, but wish to continue using these in my AC SS.

I felt that with care I could avoid serious nicks, given I've been using sharp things on a stick to shave my head and face near-daily for many years.

This was borne out in the shave, despite pretty atrocious technique on my part. I found it very tricky to begin with, getting the correct angle was not easy. I could also feel a big difference between what was needed to take the hair off, and what felt too harsh / aggressive. I also had a few moments where the head skipped over my scalp as I went WTG. This was probably due to trying to use as little pressure as possible.

For lather I used some new Body Shop macca root / aloe cream, whipped with my Vulfix 374s. I was able to complete nearly all of my scalp and beard edges, without re-whipping.

I did a 2-pass shave over my scalp, and finally felt confident enough to venture a single ATG pass on the back as a test. When I go ATG with a cartridge I then need to scrub the skin vigorously to prevent ingrown hairs, so this was intended to see if such would also be required with the Hawk. It's a long-winded process and quite uncomfortable, so I will sometimes go for days without shaving my scalp.

Immediately afterward I noticed that the shave was very smooth, however the level of burn was a little higher than with the AC SS / Proguard combo. Alum was a little uncomfortable over many areas. However! This burn eased very quickly with my usual post-shave routine, and my skin quickly felt fantastic. My partner gives a big thumbs-up, saying the skin feels smoother than with my cartridges. Eight hours later and there are no signs of ingrowing hairs in the ATG area as yet.

With no regrets I've now binned all my cartridge razors. The RR Hawk is exactly what I needed to replace them, allowing safe, fast and (once my technique's improved) fully comfortable daily shaving when I have no time for using my AC SS.

Luke

Nice write up!

I’ve got one being delivered in the next couple of days. I expect it to be a little mild for me. But have a Feather Super blade to try if its is.

I’m hoping this might work as a travel razor.

Thanks for the write-up. I'm just getting into AC razors & have read a lot about the Hawk. It's getting lots of praise.

Thanks for the write-up. I'm just getting into AC razors & have read a lot about the Hawk. It's getting lots of praise.
I've had my Black Hawk for a week or so and I am very impressed. It's my first AC razor and seems like a good entry point into AC razors at only $30 plus shipping. Of course, now I'm starting to have a hankering for one of those more expensive stainless steel AC razors, but I'm not yet sure which.

I've had my Black Hawk for a week or so and I am very impressed. It's my first AC razor and seems like a good entry point into AC razors at only $30 plus shipping. Of course, now I'm starting to have a hankering for one of those more expensive stainless steel AC razors, but I'm not yet sure which.

Well above the tie has their classic models on sale. I just bought an atlas se2.

As someone new to using more traditional types of razor, I wanted to add my thoughts. It occurred to me that the razor seemed very forgiving of my poor technique, and that in itself - as well as the good construction - was worth mentioning, particularly for newcomers like me.

Congrats, @MurderousCrow! I discovered the Hawk v2 last July and it is still the razor I reach for more often than any other. Enjoy the journey, it only gets better! :thumbup:

Thank you sir :)

I received my aluminium blackhawk this week and had my 1st shave. Wow, those are light weight!

I loaded a Feather Super blade in it, because I'd heard it was mild. You will really feel that blade, but not in a bad way. It was a very close shave with no weepers or irritation.

This may be my go-to travel razor.

I loaded a Feather Super blade in it, because I'd heard it was mild.
Not sure where you heard that from... Every review I've read on the when someone wants to bump up the blade feel and aggression, the Super is the blade to do it!! The Feather Super is the most aggressive AC blade on the market to date... That is usually why most AC razor mfg's don't even suggest that blade to use in their designs!!

Not sure where you heard that from... Every review I've read on the when someone wants to bump up the blade feel and aggression, the Super is the blade to do it!! The Feather Super is the most aggressive AC blade on the market to date... That is usually why most AC razor mfg's don't even suggest that blade to use in their designs!!

I believe he was referring to the Hawk as being mild and used the Pro Super to make it more aggressive from the start!

As for my opinion on the Feather Pro Super, it offers more blade exposure, but I don't find them as sharp(efficient) as a Schick Proline.

I have a Black Hawk that I've been using for about a month now. I started with the Feather Pro blades, and thought that both the razor and blade were great. I ordered some Schick Proline based upon reviews on this forum, and I think I prefer the Feather Pro blades. I don't notice that the Prolines provide a closer shave and I find the Feather Pros to be smoother. As it stands now, I probably have enough blades for the rest of the year - although maybe I'll try to trade the Prolines for something else.

I have a Black Hawk that I've been using for about a month now. I started with the Feather Pro blades, and thought that both the razor and blade were great. I ordered some Schick Proline based upon reviews on this forum, and I think I prefer the Feather Pro blades. I don't notice that the Prolines provide a closer shave and I find the Feather Pros to be smoother. As it stands now, I probably have enough blades for the rest of the year - although maybe I'll try to trade the Prolines for something else.

I think people get wrapped up in the hype and forget how personal blades are.

for me, Kai Titan Milds will always give me a better shave than Schick prolines. That said, the Prolines via Rakuten are pretty cheap, and I like ordering stuff from Japan.

I received my aluminium blackhawk this week and had my 1st shave. Wow, those are light weight!

The more experienced I get with AC blades (I'm almost 3 years in), the more I appreciate lightweight razors -- my Hawks, ATT Calypso SE1, aluminum Generals. This is a change for me, as I used to favor heavy razors and handles. My ATT SE2 Colossus still sees regular use, though.

Top Bottom