What's new

First impresstion of Omega S10019 brush

Hi,

This is a first take on my new S-Brush.
proxy.php

This is my second synthetic, my first is a RR Plissoft. I really like the Plissoft, but I am wanting something with a bit more backbone and scritch to it for hard soaps and face lathering. The S-brush sounded like the ticket for me.

Looking at the Omega in the box, it looked good, nice size knot and pleasing handle. Opening the box, I quickly started to lose some enthusiasm for my new brush. The handle is a two piece molded plastic that is hollow, making for a knot heavy brush. And it feels poorly made, like if I were to accidently drop it in the sink, it would crack. I do like the way the shape feels in my hand though. The top heavy knot makes for a very tippy brush when set upright on the sink edge. It fell over every time I set it down on it's handle end. I will need to break out my old Col Conk scuttle to rest it on between lathers. Filling the base with hot water will at least give warm lather this winter.

The knot is also a bit of a disappointment to me. I was hoping for a boar-like knot. What I got was a trampoline. It really isn't stiff as much as it behaves like a spring. It doesn't splay on my face nor swirl on a puck. It just bounces. I was not impressed by the ease of making lather or quality of it. It's going to take some time for me to learn this brush I think. But I will continue to work with it to master it.

In the end, I don't think this brush is for me. I have already started to look at some Maggard synthetics to try next. Any recommendations for a more boar like synthetic would be welcomed.

Thanks for reading!
Bluewing

Hi,

Yeah, I've got a couple no-name boars that are OK. Mostly I use my 3 Vie-Long horse hairs. I decided I need to explore some synthetics. I do like the Plissoft a lot. Just kind want to expand my experience.

I tried half a dozen synthetics. The Maggards 22mm black and white was the only keeper, but not for really hard pucks. For that, the Semogue 610 is perfection.

Hi,

I'm updating and adding to my impression of this brush.

After using and working with this brush for a bit now, I have learned some things about the brush and about me.

I generally don't use a scuttle or mug to shave with. I either like sticks or I hold a puck in my hand to load. What I have discovered is that if I put a puck into a cup, like the VDH shave mug that I have, the brush loads vastly better. Because I can more easily mash down on the brush. I'm currently using a puck of Conk Cedar. It loads fast and well when I apply pressure. But simply holding it in my hand, it becomes a lot more difficult to work the puck.

If I apply the same pressure to my face while lathering, it builds a decent lather with really not much more effort than my horses or RR Plissoft. But that I lose the scritch you get with the tips I'm looking for. While the lather I get is fine, it takes more effort than I want to go to. And it bothers me to force a brush to splay, that can't be good right?

What I have learned about me is evidently I'm lazy and don't want to work very hard to make lather. And that I can get a brush to work if I work to understand my tool. And I'm not done with looking for another synthetic. But, my picture of what I want is becoming more clear.

Top Bottom