What's new

First impressions

This evening I had my first go with my DE. I lathered up with my brush from Wolf Whiskers and some C.O. Bigelow Shave cream. I used my Gillette Tech that I found hidden in an antique shop here in town and a Derby extra blade my compadre set me up with while I wait on my sampler pack in the mail. For starters, when I shave there is nothing zen-like about it...wham, bam, thank you ma'am. This time, I decided to take it slow and pay attention to every detail. Glorious!! The way the blade made clean pass on my face was an AWESOME feeling. I made two passes WTG and XTG. I have never been to a barber to get a shave so I cant compare it to my shave tonight but this was by far the closest I have had. I finished it off with a little Clubman and on I went smiling.:001_tt1:

Thanks! I do have one question for you guys.... I have naturally dry skin. Usually AS balms work better for me but I really like the smell of Clubman. Any recommendations for a combo platter?

Very happy to hear how well your first shave went!

Some add a couple of drops of glycerin to their Clubman to make it more moisturizing.

Being that my first go went as well as it did, it is only fitting that the second round didn't go as smooth. The WTG pass went just fine if not better than day one. This time I thought I could get an even closer shave with an ATG pass. Some areas turned out better but I ended up with lots of weepers( blade angle?) and a fair amount of irritation on my neck. Should I change anything up for an ATG pass compared to WTG? Maybe 2 with and 1 against? All and all it was still a better shave than I've had before. So I got that going for me.....which is nice.

Probably need to stick with WTG & XTG for awhile till your skin gets used to it. I've been at this for the better part of a year and only do WTG followed by combined 2nd pass of ATG on my neck and XTG on the rest and get a DFS every time.

Any slight imperfections in technique do show up a lot more with ATG. I persevered with ATG from an early stage and suffered for it a bit, but I'm sure I'd have been better off sticking with just WTG and XTG for longer.

I've noticed, being a been as well, that if I don't do a wtg and xtg first my atg pass turns into a bloodbath. As far as the dry skin goes, Nivea sensitive balm works great. If I'm going to use a splash, I generally put a little proraso pre and post cream on a wet face first, then use the AS. That stuff works wonders before and after the shave.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of DE shaving. Every evening when I shave it feels like the first time. I look forward to each and every shave. There are times, like the next afternoon, I might feel just a little stubble and say to myself, perhaps I need another shave, lol. It really can be addictive.

Congratulations. I've been wet shaving for over 50 years and never do an ATG pass. My face just doesn't need the irritation, and no one would be able to tell the difference in my appearance. You can also use Clubman, followed by an unscented balm.

I also say skip the ATG, at least for now. Personally, I find I get great results going WTG and XTG, and that going ATG increases my chances of irritation significantly. I don't even bother with it anymore n

For me a sharper blade (Feather, Polsilver) and more aggressive razor (WTG, XTG, XTG) gets awful close to BBS without the ATG irritation - particularly on my upper lip. Would recommend sticking with less aggressive razor until you are getting close, irritation free shaves.

A little Jojoba oil works wonders for dry skin during winter months.

After much tinkering, I've finally decided to only go ATG once or twice a week. Even if I don't cut my self, my neck looks like it has dandruff from all the tiny bits of skin dangling if I do too often.

Top Bottom