What's new

First Impressions: The New Muhle Toothcomb R41

I'd say more aggressive. I can use Feathers in the Slant, but not in the new R41.

Hmmm, Feathers in the R41 are working the best for me.

From my point of view you need such a supersharp blade to get a really close and smooth shave with the new R41.
Red Personnas i.e. don't work that well while they are great in my Gillette Rocket.

I use feathers in mine, it took me a few days to adjust to how aggressive it is.

You really need an air light touch with this razor if your going to rock a feather.

Also very well built lather is also key.

You want it with max cushion, so think like a dense meringue.

I have used both Personna Med Preps and Feathers.
Neither of these wear out quickly, so my experience is limited.

I think the Feathers in the end are the better choice, as ambrose said.
With a light touch and good lather, they really make the R41 shine.

That said, the Personnas work well also.

Today was my first go with the notorious new head Muhle r41. It is undeniably an aggressive razor, with lots of blade exposure, but it's not the beast to be feared that I was expecting. I found it less aggressive than my Joris and Vision and about on par with my Barbasol. Paired with a fresh Perma Sharp blade, I got a very close shave quasi BBS in only 2 passes with no irritation or cuts, just one tiny weeper on a flat mole that is a perennial problem area. I like the balance and feel and think this one is a definite keeper.

I'm with Mike on this.
The R41 kind of redefines what aggressiveness is.

Sure, there's a lot of blade exposure, and the blade is tense in the head.
And the shave is close and direct (and, as has been rightfully noticed by many, noisy).

But the razor never has bitten me.

I'm with Mike on this.
The R41 kind of redefines what aggressiveness is.

Sure, there's a lot of blade exposure, and the blade is tense in the head.
And the shave is close and direct (and, as has been rightfully noticed by many, noisy).

But the razor never has bitten me.

And yet I would not recommend a beginner to start with it :smile: I think it requires some experience first.

I totally agree with that - no razor to start your wet shaving journey with.
But also not one to be scared of.

Three shaves with mine using an Israeli blue. I am beyond pleased. No cuts and BBS each time. I am relatively new to wet shaving as well, having only been at it for almost three months.

+1 on shallower angle. 5 is perhaps a bit shallow but if 30 is what you normally use I would say about half that or right there a-roundish (gets protractor out and starts measuring for a shave). I think the best way to put it is that you need the head plate touching your skin instead of the tooth part. It has worked for me and I use this bad boy to give me a brake from straights, talk about blade exposure.

Top Bottom