What's new

First Impressions: The New Muhle Toothcomb R41

I need a new open comb razor to shave my head and keep my New Deluxe company! Too lazy to read all 13 pages. Where does one purchase a Muhle R41 in the Republic of California?

Much to my surprise, I found that connaughtshaving has these in stock for just over $36 shipped to the US or $43 / €29 when shipped in europe. The US being cheaper because no tax is added. That is a lot cheaper than the muhle webshop. I think it won't take long before I order one :drool:

Much to my surprise, I found that connaughtshaving has these in stock for just over $36 shipped to the US or $43 / €29 when shipped in europe. The US being cheaper because no tax is added. That is a lot cheaper than the muhle webshop. I think it won't take long before I order one :drool:

They hadn't added it last time I looked. It's very tempting but based on everything I have read, I think it wouldn't be long before it was put on the BST. I had to get rid of my Eclipse Red Ring and my Merkur 37C because they gave me far too much irritation.

On the other hand, the new R41 might be different...

I need aggressiveness comparisons in relation to the Mekur HD, Merkur Progress or the Merkur Futur (my current go to). I exclusively use Feather blades, if that doesn't sound insane. I've been on the fence about this or the R89, as I do not like the lined chrome on the EJs, but would consider the DE89 or the DE87.

I need a new open comb razor to shave my head and keep my New Deluxe company! Too lazy to read all 13 pages. Where does one purchase a Muhle R41 in the Republic of California?

It's great on the noggin, I used it yesterday and it delivered a BA shave, I normally use just the vision, and it compares to fully open.

I need aggressiveness comparisons in relation to the Mekur HD, Merkur Progress or the Merkur Futur (my current go to). I exclusively use Feather blades, if that doesn't sound insane. I've been on the fence about this or the R89, as I do not like the lined chrome on the EJs, but would consider the DE89 or the DE87.

I don't know what setting you use for your Futur but the new tooth comb is aggressive. I have a Futur that I use on 2.5 or 3 with a Feather and the R41 is definitely more aggressive than that. I haven't tried using a Feather in the R41 yet, only a Personna Medical Prep which, to me, is less sharp and more forgiving, and I still had to be very careful and use just a little pressure. However, it does give a nice, close shave.

I would say that the R41 is equivalent to the Futur on a setting of 5 or higher. I haven't shaved with the Futur on a setting that high in a long time so that's my best estimate.

I don't know what setting you use for your Futur but the new tooth comb is aggressive. I have a Futur that I use on 2.5 or 3 with a Feather and the R41 is definitely more aggressive than that. I haven't tried using a Feather in the R41 yet, only a Personna Medical Prep which, to me, is less sharp and more forgiving, and I still had to be very careful and use just a little pressure. However, it does give a nice, close shave.

I would say that the R41 is equivalent to the Futur on a setting of 5 or higher. I haven't shaved with the Futur on a setting that high in a long time so that's my best estimate.

Thanks. I use the same settings as you (2.5 or 3) and I'm unwilling to change blades just for the sake of a razor. A setting of 5 is outrageously aggressive.

My new fav DE, its as aggressive as my open comb slant, yet with class and a mean elegance ! Very aggressive yet smooth, one of the closest shaves to date. Its so close I often dont need anything more than a one pass, two pass and I'm a baby face. :w00t:

Great looking razor. I am a big fan OC razors, some of my best shaves come from an OC. Looks like I need to add a modern OC to my den. Thanks for sharing.

Could someone please post a picture of the new Muhle R41 WITH a razor blade inside? I would like to see just how aggressive the blade looks in this razor. Thank you.

$R41 blade exposure.jpg

How does the R41 compare to the merkur 37c? More or less aggressive? I can't do feathers in the slant, I get weepers.

Top Bottom