What's new

First Impressions Rockwell 6S / Muhle Rocca

I've been DE shaving for over a year. I mostly shaved with a Merkur 34C and only recently I changed to the 37C (thanks!).

These are just first impressions. I shaved with each razor three times. I shaved first with the Rocca because I received it first, and then the 6S a couple of weeks later.

MVIMG_20200917_092223.jpg
IMG_20200917_092339.jpg

I have to say the Rocca look and feel is amazing. It's like a piece of jewelry. The 6S has more of an industrial feeling - it feels and looks more like a tool that you might find in a mechanic box. By look and finish alone the Rocca should cost at least three times more than the 6S. Blade alignment is spot on in both with the 6S being 100%.

The Rocca is an aggressive razor. The first two shaves left me with a very close shave but also with a lot of irritation. WTG and XTG is buttery smooth but ATG is tricky. The third shave I took it easier and had a fantastic shave even though I still got some irritation. It really shows my technique (lack there of, that is). Every little mistake results in nicks. I thought I wasn't putting pressure but I actually was! The Rocca is not a razor to have a quick shave (at least not for me).

I first shave with the 6S using plate #3. Very mild - even milder than the 34C. Plate #4 was similar to the 34C, maybe a little more efficient. Plate #5 I shaved in a hurry so can't say how much different it was from #4.
I can see why the 6S/6C is popular. It's smooth and forgiving. You really have to make silly mistakes to get cut. After my face felt great with no irritation - it even looked better (if that makes sense).

I think the 6S/6C is a mild razor regardless of which plate you use. It's just the way it was designed - even if they'd made a #7 and #8 plate - it cannot be as aggressive as the Rocca (or any similar razor, I guess). They're different razors.

If I could only keep one, it would be definitely the 6S. And yet I can't wait to shave with the Rocca again. Go figure.

Can't talk about the Rocca but I do love my Rockwell 6S which as become my go to razor smooth efficient and well built especially plate 5 hits a sweet spot for me however I couldn't resist getting the Razorock GC 0.84 and must say its pretty close.. guess I have two favourites now 😀

That's exactly why I sold my 6S two weeks ago. It's not that the razor is bad or anything, but it's too mild for me and getting super close shave is very hard no matter the angle or blade. I really wanted to keep it, but since I haven't used in around 1 year, I decided that it is better to find a new owner that will probably love it more than I ever did. I bought it 2 years ago for 95$ ( I think) and I sold it for around 73$ so it's not that bad all things considered.

Great review!! Love the comparison. :a29:

The question is, ‘Which will get the most use 6 months from now?’ Please post a follow-up.

I purchased a Rockwell 6S about a month ago and have fallen in love with it. The number 4 plate is my sweet spot. If I have 2+ days of growth, I use it for all three passes. For daily work, or if my neck is a bit irritated, I flip it over to plate 2 for my ATG pass.

For me, the acid test for a razor is if I have to add a clean-up pass. While I'm still in somewhat of a learning curve, I have had very few days where I needed that clean up pass.

Top Bottom