What's new

First impressions of the OneBlade

Phil at BullGoose said on another forum that he is down to his last 240 Feather blades. So if someone wants to pick up say 60 blades, now is the best time.

As I posted earlier. Maybe someday someone other than the people at OB will make a pivoting head razor that uses standard DE blades. Any interest I had in possibly trying an OB has been squashed by the blade availability drama. I'm a low drama shaver. :001_cool:

The OneBlade is made of German Stainless Steel and the manufacturing process is extremely precise. This alone does not allow for a razor to be produced for "under the $100 mark". Quality has it's price and you only get what you pay for! I am a retired CPA, and this is my opinion.:001_cool:

I understand the point you are making and agree. Except I'm not talking about making a boutique razor. Make it from plastic for all I care. As long as it works and is easy to use for beginners. 2 mistakes every neewb to DE or SE shaving makes is bad angle and too much pressure. The pivoting head, if done correctly, takes the angle variable out of the equation and will make it easier for beginners to get into DE shaving.

Regarding OB. I see no evidence of German stainless. They use injection molding and contracted with a Chinese manufacturer. Nothing wrong with going this route. I own a commercial metal refinishing business, employ 2 full time machinists, and have a CNC. I'm well aware of the costs involved.

If a company is producing components at a high volume, as I presume OB is, then injection molding costs pennies compared to machining parts from a solid material. The bulk of the cost with injection molding is in creating the molds and set up. The cost/unit curve for injection molding is steep. If you produce 5 parts its dreadfully expensive. If you produce 50,000 parts its very economical. CNC machining is a flatter cost curve.

I'm not suggesting OB is not worth the money they are asking. Or that it is or is not a good razor. My point is simply, a pivoting head razor can be produced very economically. Using a DE blade makes it difficult because of the size of the head. But it could be done and I would like to see it someday. Or, maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and make the darn thing myself.....sell a million units.....scare Gillette so they would buy me out for $100's of millions just to make me go away...and the dream would die but I'd own an island in the Caribbean.....:thumbup1:

I decided tonight that I don't like the handle. It slides thru my fingers. I have to push it up thru my fingers every now and then.

I am 5 shaves into a new OB. It is pretty darn impressive.

I've been DE shaving/collecting for 14 years. I've bought a lot of junk boyos, but not this time. Efficacy alone. Not my favorite build but the results are there. Effortless.

More to follow after I make it through the honeymoon.

Last edited:
What do you get for your money when you order the US$1,000 Collector's Edition #11-101 model, or the even more startlingly priced US$2,500 Collector's Edition BlackBlade?

Wiseguy mode on: It's for folks that can buy a Lexus when a Toyota just won't do. They are Limited Edition Razors, marginal difference other than that. Surprising there is not more physical descriptive information about these on their website store.

I'd rather say the LEs are the exact same Toyotas -- or Lexuses [Lexi?] more like, given the std price -- as the rest, only with a metallic paint and color used for a very few select editions.

Wiseguy mode on: It's for folks that can buy a Lexus when a Toyota just won't do. They are Limited Edition Razors, marginal difference other than that. Surprising there is not more physical descriptive information about these on their website store.

I drive a Toyota Prius and own the "standard" OneBlade razor @ $300.:001_cool:

What do you get for your money when you order the US$1,000 Collector's Edition #11-101 model, or the even more startlingly priced US$2,500 Collector's Edition BlackBlade?

I think they are just "prestige" models. I couldn't find anything that indicated that you got anything beyond a different razor look.

I'd rather say the LEs are the exact same Toyotas -- or Lexuses [Lexi?] more like, given the std price -- as the rest, only with a metallic paint and color used for a very few select editions.

They could have at least included ground effects and a cool logo. :wink2:

I drive a Toyota Prius and own the "standard" OneBlade razor @ $300.:001_cool:

Remember, I was in wise guy mode[emoji33]. A person needs good disposable income to afford a specialty Collector's Edition OneBlade @ $1000-2000+.

BTW Ed, I like your taste in cars... I have one too!

BTW Ed, I like your taste in cars... I have one too![/QUOTE]

Hey David, I just bought a new 2016 Prius Model 4; should get it by the end of the month! Got the Premium Convenience and Advanced Technology Packages on it as well! Currently driving a 2015 Prius Model 4. The 2016 Model will be my 4th Prius! Great car!:thumbup:

I'm jealous Ed! Those extra packages are great stuff! I insist on heated seats, what a luxury at my age... What I love the most is my infrequent fillups!!![emoji106][emoji109][emoji41]

I could probably live with the price of the razor itself if it was the one and only razor I planned on using for the rest of my life, but I just can't justify buying one with the price of the blades too.

I decided tonight that I don't like the handle. It slides thru my fingers. I have to push it up thru my fingers every now and then.

I didn't like it at first either. After a few shaves you start to hold it differently and it just works.

I still don't like the blade issue.

I could probably live with the price of the razor itself if it was the one and only razor I planned on using for the rest of my life, but I just can't justify buying one with the price of the blades too.

Try the Feather AS-D2! IMO, It's as mild as the OneBlade, a little less expensive, is a DE razor so it takes regular DE blades, is expertly made from solid stainless steel (as good if not better than the ATT razors) and has a solid stainless steel inkwell stand. Does not have a pivot head, but I really don't think you need one.

At least $1000 poorer.

If they are smart they will give one to Casey Neistat.

The thousand bucks gets you a low serial number model. Why would you care if you had a low number? The thousands after those devalue the rest. It's not like a low numbered $20 bill.

The $2500 black would probably be easier to sell for $1k if they limited them to 100.

I enjoy the shave I get from The OneBlade so much I have given up searching for "The Razor". I see no need to keep looking anymore. There is nothing about this razor I don't like. It gives me a great shave everyday!
The cost of blades aren't a problem either. You DO NOT have to buy the blades from OneBlade. I have been able to buy multiple boxes of blades from Connaught Shaving @45 cents a blade.
If you like the razor, then just buy some blades and enjoy the shave. If you don't, then just move on and keep looking for "The Razor" for you.

Top Bottom