What's new

FIRST IMPRESSION: Route 66 - "A Perfect Gent"

Route 66 "A Perfect Gent"
Ever-Ready 100T | TGN Finest
1976 Gillette Super-Speed
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black)

proxy.php

Like I needed another soap, I picked up Route 66 based on a recommendation. My objectivity is going to eventually come into question if I keep saying a soap is "stellar". Frankly, it's because I listen to the community and thus only use good products. Route 66 is no exception. Just as I'm a sucker for fancy packaging and limited releases, I'm equally a fan of sales. I took advantage of Route 66's Father's Day Sale and headed over to their site. From a design perspective, a vendor walks a line between charm and gimmick. With a name like Route 66, I was braced for the gimmick, but there was none. The first thing I noticed was the overall slick appearance of their website. It was quite easy to navigate and organized. I love that you can add-on a matching balm with each soap from that soap's page via a dropdown menu. In turn, you're rewarded with a $1 bundle discount from the balm. The soap was $15.49 for 5 oz. The balm was $11.49 for 2.2 oz. Shipping in the US is free. The only payment method offered is PayPal. I placed the order late Wednesday afternoon; I received a shipping notification Thursday at noon, and I received the package Saturday via USPS.

The soap and balm arrived in secure packaging with the balm double wrapped in bubble-wrap, and the soap came in a small wax paper bag sealed with a customized sticker. There was no product scent emanating within the box. The professional water-resistant labels on both the soap and balm were pristine. The scent name is printed on a sticker that is perfectly placed on both the soap and balm. The only ding is that the ingredients list on the balm is not legible. Magnifying it reveals the printer did not print it well. There was no evidence of overspill. The soap tub is the standard all plastic translucent Parkway with a black lid. It was evenly filled with approximately 2 cm to spare. The all plastic balm bottle is dark amber with a solid black disc-top cap. The balm had a tamper-evident seal.

The TGN knot soaked in warm water while I showered. The croap consistency is on the firmer side. I would say it's close to that of Barrister and Mann's. I started with a dry puck and slightly damp knot. The TGN rarely has the capacity to serve 3 head and face passes, so I didn't attempt to load for that, and anticipated a reload after 3 face passes. Loading was quite easy. I dribbled a little water into the knot and proceeded to face lather. The scent was immediately reminiscent of Soap Commander's "Courage" which in turn is a familiar classic masculine scent, the origins of which I can't place. It's no accident the two smell similar because they share many scent notes: peppercorn, ginger, jasmine, cedar, and frankincense. I didn't do an A/B comparison, but from memory, I would say Route 66's "A Perfect Gent" is a bit bolder. It started as a bright and sharp peppercorn and ginger with warm woody notes. As the shave progressed, it departed a bit from "Courage" in that I detected dark labdanum notes, which I like. The lather was a bit thirsty, and that's a good thing. It was dense and paintable and provided a wet sheen. I have no other term than that. Some soaps' sheen, when present, is iridescent as if the light is refracted by oils. Others are just "shiny" as the light is reflected by water. Route 66 is the latter. Glide was perfect such that I could comfortably take long frontal to parietal ATG sweeps. The superb residual slickness, while usually ill-advised, facilitated working areas without visible lather. The post-shave feel was soft, supple, and well-hydrated. There was zero redness or irritation. My skin quite simply loves lanolin.

I used the matching balm because my skin also likes shea butter. Their balm also contains aloe and other skin goodies (complete ingredients list to follow). The fragrance perfectly matched that of the soap. I don't detect it at all 3 hours later.

In Route 66, we have yet another artisan/vendor from which to choose. The overall performance and quality matches the other top vendors. As I've indicated before, the performance standard seems to have topped out, so artisans have to concentrate on additional factors to set themselves apart. I believe Route 66 accomplishes this with an attractive professional presentation, a good price point, and a very intuitive website. As a result of this shave, I've ordered 2 more bundles from them.

Soap ingredients: Stearic acid, palm kernel oil, vegetable glycerin, lanolin, avocado oil, coconut milk, silk amino acids, fragrance and/or essential oils.

Balm ingredients include (as per their website): Soy, aloe vera, shea butter, vitamin E, vegetable glycerin, calendula, chamomile, linden blossom, cornflower, St. John's Wort, fragrance and/or essential oils.

Great stuff, your write-up..

Not like I need another soap, either.... but now I might..

So, now I'm adding their site to my favorites list.....

Thanks for the great review. I totally agree with your comment, "the performance standard seems to have topped out." I own soaps from 8 different artisans and they are all great. On any given day I might "imagine" that one is better than the other, but in fact the differences are very slight and probably related to my technique and not the soap itself. I used to chase after the latest and greatest new soap. I don't anymore - not because the new soaps aren't great - but because they are not better than what I already have, and what I have should last me well into the next millennium.

Great write up, very thorough. I think I read somewhere that Courage was very close to Bleu de Chanel, but I can't recall where. I have a 73 Super-Speed and have used it with middling success. I've only tried Astra SP's in it, and have been considering dipping into my blade stash for a change of pace.

Great write up, very thorough. I think I read somewhere that Courage was very close to Bleu de Chanel, but I can't recall where. I have a 73 Super-Speed and have used it with middling success. I've only tried Astra SP's in it, and have been considering dipping into my blade stash for a change of pace.
I don't know why, but the 70s SS seemed appropriate for my first run down Route 66. This SS has some sentimental value attached to it. It's the DE I used before I really knew what I was doing. It's held up to the abuse (like many of us from the 70s).

I've been working my way through some Route 66 samples. So far the soap has been working great for me. Sometimes lanolin, depending on the concentration, can leave my face burning. No problems with this soap. I've been using their "Lumberjack" scent and really enjoy it. Kind of a deep fruity smell. Not citrusy, but fruity. I like the lather it provides also. I really didn't have to "dial it in". It took water easily and never broke down. Less water provides a thick cream-like lather. Add a bit more and the lather begins to loosen up while loosing none of it's protection. After my samples are done I'll definitely be ordering a tub or two.

Top Bottom