What's new

First head shave

I am looking for advice on my first head shave. I have been buzzing it myself for a couple of months and I think I am ready for my first shave.

I use a EJ DE for my face and have been for a while now, but since I have moles on my head, I am paranoid about hitting my dome with a blade and cutting them since they would bleed profusely, and am seriously considering an electric for my head.
I haven't used an electric before and have been doing research on foil vs rotary, and what would work best for me...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Clippers with 00000 guard followed by the Headblade Moto.
I'm much more likely to cut myself with a DE razor than with a Headblade. It's almost full proof.

I have an area on the back of my neck I avoid shaving. I just put a finger of nondominant hand over it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I shave my head twice per week, and I understand the concerns you have voiced regarding cutting into irregular spots on your scalp with your razor. The EJ is a relatively mild but efficient razor that should work well. I don't know what blades you typically use, but I might suggest a blade that you usually find smooth and sharp but forgiving. Regarding the shave itself, the usual 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, then ATG) should serve you well. It may take some time to keep the correct angle when shaving your scalp as its contours change more frequently than your face typically, but if you take your time, I don't doubt you'll find success. I can't speak to using an electric on your scalp as I've never tried one, so perhaps someone else can speak to that issue. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I shave my head almost every day with many different razors DE, SE, and Injectors most do a great job. It's really not that hard or scary. I have a few moles on the back of my neck. When I first started I would hold one finger over the mole and shave round the finger. At this point I know where they are and can avoid them blind. Mine don't stick out to far though so I can shave right over them if I'm careful.

Check out the head shavers check in, there's a link in my Sig.

As long as I don't dig into my scalp with the razor I'm good. Plenty of lather and a light touch is all it takes. I shave face and head nearly every day.

I've been exclusively using my '47 Gillette SuperSpeed on the noggin for about a year or so. (Used clippers before that) I'd say the trickiest part is hitting every spot and keeping the angle right. I have one large mole on the back of my head and I think it may have bled the first time I used clippers on it but never since. I love the feeling of how close it gets though, and I'm pretty efficient now. Let me finally ditch the last of my non-wet shaving hardware once I went all in on the head. Feels good. Tom

I'm really interested in this issue. One of my best friends recently asked me this very question. I told him I would try to find out.

When I first started shaving my head, I used cartriges. Fusion to be exact. They are very forgiving. I could use almost any pressure or angle and not have any weepers. I only had to be careful around moles. I just got tired of the expense of carts and wanted an alternative.
I started with a Merkur and quickly moved to vintage Gillette DE's. Lately Ive been picking up SE's when I come across them. I am always working on a true BBS with one pass against the grain. It takes a little longer than with carts but I enjoy it more.
If I am in a hurry, I'll do any clean up with a cart or just zip through a shave with a cart. I also find it easier to shave my head in the shower without a mirror. So my advice would be, take your time and no pressuer with a DE.
Good luck with your adventure.

Shaving your head with a DE is not as hard as you think. Give it a try, I'm sure you can do it. I was using 0 guard clippers like you for a long time but now I strictly shave it with a DE.

Head shaving is actually pretty easy. I've done every other day for the last 3 years. Just go slow and I usually make the lather a tad bit more to the watery side. Slickness is the most important thing.

I've done it with a ton of soaps and my slants and even my feather artist club for fun. However, most often I use the cremo brushless and Harrys carts because they're cheap, you don't have to worry about nicks and the results are exactly the same. The hair and skin on your head are different. You get easy bbs shaves with carts.

I am a every three day head shaver. Do yourself a favor and find a type M injector. Best head shave EVER. I LOVE using Cryogen and Proraso red with my head shave. Injectors use a light touch on the scalp and the hair just disappears. Now you don't need a type M, I just prefer the adjustable injector. Any Injector is worth a try.

Your friendly neighborhood BambulanceMan

I've no desire to highjack the thread, but briefly, did you folks experience any psychological issues when making the initial decision to shave your heads, and then to actually do it?

Just wonderin'.

I've no desire to highjack the thread, but briefly, did you folks experience any psychological issues when making the initial decision to shave your heads, and then to actually do it?

Just wonderin'.
I thought it was very freeing. It did look a little weird for the first few days, until I got some sun and fresh air on it. But, I still felt it looked better than my thinning hair in my mid to late 20's. It also took a little while to figure out how to fade my beard into the shaved head.

Daily head shaver here, fortunately, I don't have any obstacle to avoid. If I get a bump, I do the finger thing or focus on avoiding it.

Just wonderin'.

I'm not balding, I decided to shave my head and went for it. I BBS my dome everyday, now using SE razors daily, switched from DE.

I use a ATT M1 plate and get BBS head shaves daily. I was shaving my head with clippers for 20 years since I was a teen and started using a DE when I switched to wet shaving a few years ago. I don't have any obstacles but if you do use the advice given, put your finger on it and shave around it. Over time it will just become second nature

Just wonderin'.

Yes actually. I was 36 and still had most of it but it had thinned to the point where it just always seemed off. It felt great to "take control" back and ended up giving me a boost of confidence.

The one surprising thing I noticed is younger chicks found it even more attractive. It doesn't have the connotation it once did. If you're debating it, go for it. You can always let it grow back to where it was if you don't like it.

Just wonderin'.
Its just hair, off with it! If I cared what people thought, I would think a bad comb over or being "that guy" trying to hold onto the last strand would get more jeers than just shaving it. But different things are important to different folks. I'm 39, single (divorced) and have a good bit of gray in my go tee. I don't dye it for dating, love it or leave it.

Just wonderin'.
Nah not really. I started losing hair on the crown of my head pretty early at 26. I buzz cut it with clippers for a while and then my wife asked why I don't just shave it. The first time it felt a little weird but you get used to it.

I shave my head every other day with a Razorock Hawk and am rotating between Feather AC pro-Guard blades or Kai Titan MG Guarded blades. I prefer the Guarded blades as I can get the job done relatively quickly and quite safe from nicks, creepers or weepers. I don't have any irregularities such as moles or anything on the skin on my head but I do often get mosquito bites and with the Guarded blades, I can still shave right over top of them and not cut into them. I usually do two passes against the grain with a few touch ups (unless I wait till day three to shave my head...then I do a with the grain and against the grain - more touch ups needed in this case) I've developed a technique where I rock the razor's head slightly after each swipe to use as much surface of the blade as possible - one swipe using one side of the blade, the next swipe using the centre of the blade and the next swipe using the other side of the blade. With practice, I've gotten quite good at it and quick with it.

Top Bottom