What's new

First head shave

I shave my head daily, sometimes twice. One pass (mixed WTG/XTG) with lather, second ATG/clean ups with shaving oil only. Injectors, SE, and aggressive DE all get the job done, the only issue I have is with Artist Club blade razors whose width I find awkward.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes actually. I was 36 and still had most of it but it had thinned to the point where it just always seemed off. It felt great to "take control" back and ended up giving me a boost of confidence.

The one surprising thing I noticed is younger chicks found it even more attractive. It doesn't have the connotation it once did. If you're debating it, go for it. You can always let it grow back to where it was if you don't like it.

+1 to all said above.

I shave my head daily with an electric, and once every other week with my Fusion. Works very well for me and I don't think I'll ever muster the grit to try it with a DE.

I have plenty of hair, but hate going to the barber and would rather just shave it. But wife says no, apparently I have the wrong shaped head.

I shave my head daily, sometimes twice. One pass (mixed WTG/XTG) with lather, second ATG/clean ups with shaving oil only. Injectors, SE, and aggressive DE all get the job done, the only issue I have is with Artist Club blade razors whose width I find awkward.

IMAG0339_1.jpg

Have you tried a Durham Duplex? My new found love for the MMOC has it next on my list. It's a double edge str8 safety razor.

View attachment 803232

Have you tried a Durham Duplex? My new found love for the MMOC has it next on my list. It's a double edge str8 safety razor.
I haven't though tempted. Most reviews don't find the Personna blades really add much to the shave experience that can't be done better in a more standard configuration. One of these days.

I haven't though tempted. Most reviews don't find the Personna blades really add much to the shave experience that can't be done better in a more standard configuration. One of these days.

I don't want to go through the learning curve for str8's and this may be the next best thing, a str8 on training wheels.

I read that these worked well Double Edge Pathology Blades | Disposable Dissection Blades | Personna 72-0200

And then I found this blade
Cadence Blades | Cadence Blades but there's no price, comes coated and uncoated.

I have to resurrect this almost 3 year old thread to say it took me this long to finally shave my head. I was so nervous the first tine I used one if my wife’s razors since it has all kinds of moisturizer built in. It was horrible. So I switched to the no name butterfly razor that I had been using ever since I dropped my EJ and broke it, using derby blades. Took me a few tries to get the hang of it.
I bought a new EJ, and some shark blades and now I’m doing it daily. I actually enjoy it. I’m still trying to get it BBS but I’m not chasing it. WTG then ATG. I may add in a XTG run.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I am looking for advice on my first head shave. I have been buzzing it myself for a couple of months and I think I am ready for my first shave.

I use a EJ DE for my face and have been for a while now, but since I have moles on my head, I am paranoid about hitting my dome with a blade and cutting them since they would bleed profusely, and am seriously considering an electric for my head.
I haven't used an electric before and have been doing research on foil vs rotary, and what would work best for me...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Where do you live? US?
I do shave w DE and Carts but if you have moles, you don't want to get close to them (I have one in the back of my neck) , it not only hurts but as you said bleeds a lot. I do put a finger on it to avoid it...but only have one (shave blind). Remington sells a 5 head rotary that is OK in the EU and AU (check YT-Baldcafe).
Start w a cart 2-3 blades and go slow.

I have to resurrect this almost 3 year old thread to say it took me this long to finally shave my head. I was so nervous the first tine I used one if my wife’s razors since it has all kinds of moisturizer built in. It was horrible. So I switched to the no name butterfly razor that I had been using ever since I dropped my EJ and broke it, using derby blades. Took me a few tries to get the hang of it.
I bought a new EJ, and some shark blades and now I’m doing it daily. I actually enjoy it. I’m still trying to get it BBS but I’m not chasing it. WTG then ATG. I may add in a XTG run.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I used a DE for a long time for shaving my head, even when I got 'good' at it I still missed some spots and it took forever. I personally found the merkur 37c with a sharp blade to be my best option in terms of DE on the dome. The Gillette guard is fantastic in that it's lightweight pivoting disposable that has a single blade and is pretty much clogproof, it's the best of both worlds of DE and Cartridge.

Finally, I switched to a Braun foil shaver awhile ago and haven't looked back! 99% of the way to a BBS blade shave result in 5 minutes totally dry with no prep and no irritation.

In hindsight... I wasted many many hours and pieces of my scalp on DE head shaves (again, even the 'good' ones).

I went to clipper cut #2 all over when my hairdresser suggested I might not want to look like a have a comb-over! After some time #2 became #1. Eventually I bought an electric clipper and did it myself, because it felt silly to be in and out of a hairdresser in a couple of minutes but pay full price. As soon as a started cutting my own hair, I began thinking about shaving my head. There were some weird swirls at the back of my head, that just could not be made to look decent in any way.

When I made the switch from cartridge to DE for shaving my face, it still took a few weeks for me to muster up the courage, but eventually I took the Ming Shi 2000 (Merkur Futur clone), my first DE razor, put it on maximum setting and got rid of the rest of my hair. I was almost done when I cut myself badly. Should have used a clipper #0 first, and not have the razor on maximum setting! Nothing that didn't heal in a few days though, and since then I have shaved my head almost every day.

I am still quite new to DE razors, and I use all of them for head and face. If a razor doesn't work for both, it's not for me. I have nothing super aggressive, but the ones I like are for example Gillette New LC FB, HD Rocket, Flare Tip Superspeed, Slim, Baily 179, Ming Shi 3000S, Merkur 34C...

Blades I like are Nacet, Voskhod, Astra SP, and Gillette-Wilkinson.

Shaving the back of the head without a wall mirror and hand mirror is a bit of a learning curve, but eventually it becomes second nature, and actually works better without the extra mirror. It's been ages since I last nicked myself.

Regarding the psychological effects, I am an old codger whichever way you look at it, but given the choice of being a balding old guy who tries to hide it, and being a guy who shaves his head, I take the latter any day!

As an added bonus, I can now apply liberal amounts of SPF50 to my head! Important in NZ to prevent skin cancer, and it keeps things nice and shiny! :biggrin1:

Anyone use the Leaf razor? Multiple blades makes me think ingrown hairs which I have’t seen since I switch to a DE. I’d hate to have ingrown hairs on my head

Anyone use the Leaf razor? Multiple blades makes me think ingrown hairs which I have’t seen since I switch to a DE. I’d hate to have ingrown hairs on my head
I use the Leaf and it works great for me. Can't speak to the ingrown hairs issue as it's not something I'm subject to but I haven't seen any complaints.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

@luvtogofast "Anyone use the Leaf razor?"

I'm a Leaf fanboy. When I first started head shaving in 2004 I used a Gillette Mach 3, did one or two passes and would get really bad ingrown hairs on the upper part of the back of my neck (base of the skull). I only would shave every 2 or 3 days because of the ingrown hairs. I switched to DEs in 2005 due to the issue. DEs worked so well I went to shaving with DEs daily and did that until March of 2020 when I switched to the Leaf. I haven't had any issues with ingrown hairs with the Leaf.

I fully load it with 3 edges and usually use Voskhods, Feathers, Personna Reds, and Gillette Platinum Blues. The only bad experience I had was with Kai blades, it was a bloodbath. I actually get a closer BBS with the Leaf and don't have any irritation or ingrown hairs even though I do a 3 pass head shave daily. Right now I'm still using my DEs occasionally to stay in practice but 5 or 6 days a week I use the Leaf and get easier and better head shaves. I doubt I'll ever go fully back to DEs for head shaves unless I break my Leaf and can't get a replacement.

My only caveats are I don't really know how much hair I have left on my head. It seems a little thick at the edges of the cul-de-sac and on the back of my neck/head but it may have really thinned out in the last 15 years. Also, there actually is a learning curve with the Leaf. It's absolutely nothing like a DE and really isn't like a cartridge. It's its own animal and you would have to learn it. That's not hard but just be aware. If you had issues with ingrown hairs I'd think using two edges and playing with which position to place them would clear it up.

Last edited:
I have tried the Leaf, and for me: either no pressure = no shave; or significant pressure= good cut with a scalp cut, too (which I dont get w carts, DE nor SE).. I did try Leaf on my face 2 days ago, and got a real good shave....might re try on my head (still a bit scared).

There’s definitely a learning curve. People have the idea it’s like a cart when it’s really not. I hate when I hear it compared to a cart. It’s its own thing and takes practice to master. I don’t think it’s as difficult as mastering a DE but it still takes time to get used to. Just take it slow, keep practicing and it will get easier once you get used to how much pressure to apply. Just don’t start with Kai or Feather blades. Work your way up to those. [emoji2]

Few points:
1. Preshave
2. Slick lather
3. Mirror
4. Trim hair or use a single blade brand BIC - (yellow)
5. Take short swipes
6. careful around the ears
7. Alternate hands if one gets tried or his a weaker one

Top Bottom