What's new

First good synthetic

My previous experiences with synthetics have not been good but in fairness they were small and fairly inexpensive.
I regularly read threads about how good synthetics can be so finally pulled the trigger on the oft recommended Yaqi tuxedo which arrived today.
Looks and feels gorgeous so looking forward to it's inaugural use tomorrow!

20201005_144710.jpg

Congrats. Hard to go wrong with a Yaqi IME.

Pretty amazing how many excellent new synthetics are out there for under $20 these days.... Yaqi, Razorock, AP Shave Co., Maggard’s and even Simpson’s to name a few.

Nice! That was one of my first synthetics and I still enjoy it. If you're looking for more options, TurnNShave 26mm Quatermoon knot and Craving Shaving's Crave knot are some that I'd recommend.

When I saw the thread title I was expecting to read something about an Omega Evo, Chubby 2 or Muhle/Edwin Jagger brush. But you're right, the Yaqi Tuxedo brushes are very good indeed.

Last week I did throw away all of my synthetic brushes, 2 Yaqi and one Mühle... and I replaced them with an Omega Boar #49. Synthetic brushes do have their advantages and disadvantages.

What is really nice with them is that they need no breaking in and that you do not have to soak them before lathering up. However, with them I had to whip a lot more in order to achieve a good lather. With a 3D-printed cup with a textured surface the whipping time was OK but in a smooth ceramic bowl it was too much work in my opinion. When I saw how easy lather was formed with the Omega Boar I saw no need for keeping the synthetic brushes anymore.

Last week I did throw away all of my synthetic brushes, 2 Yaqi and one Mühle... and I replaced them with an Omega Boar #49. Synthetic brushes do have their advantages and disadvantages.

What is really nice with them is that they need no breaking in and that you do not have to soak them before lathering up. However, with them I had to whip a lot more in order to achieve a good lather. With a 3D-printed cup with a textured surface the whipping time was OK but in a smooth ceramic bowl it was too much work in my opinion. When I saw how easy lather was formed with the Omega Boar I saw no need for keeping the synthetic brushes anymore.
That stinks! Curious though, my synths are perfectly predictable and make excellent lathers every time. It’s natural hair brushes for me that have a little more inconsistency. YMMV! 🤷‍♂️

That stinks! Curious though, my synths are perfectly predictable and make excellent lathers every time. It’s natural hair brushes for me that have a little more inconsistency. YMMV! 🤷‍♂️
This has been my experience as well. Naturals (especially boars) perform very differently depending on outside factors like how long I did or didn't soak them and how hot the water was.

I love boar brushes, but in regards to uniformity of performance I have to give the prize to my synthetics.

To OP: are they still in the trash? Why not sell or PIF?

@GearNoir and @SterFry, a short while after I wrote my comment above I regretted it because I realized it sounded too negative and I do not want to make the original poster sad. I agree that synthetic brushes are more consistent exactly because they do not need to soak and as I wrote earlier, that is an advantage of synthetic brushes. Still I build a lather in shorter time with Omega Boar.

SterFry, I could probably find them if I digged deep enough in the trash bin, but that is pretty disgusting as they been there together with really yucky stuff for a week. I was considering to do a PIF but as they are pretty cheap I was thinking it is not worth. I thought nobody would want them as they are used and new ones can be cheaply bought. I also tried to offer them to my children, but they did not want them either.

@GearNoir and @SterFry, a short while after I wrote my comment above I regretted it because I realized it sounded too negative and I do not want to make the original poster sad. I agree that synthetic brushes are more consistent exactly because they do not need to soak and as I wrote earlier, that is an advantage of synthetic brushes. Still I build a lather in shorter time with Omega Boar.

SterFry, I could probably find them if I digged deep enough in the trash bin, but that is pretty disgusting as they been there together with really yucky stuff for a week. I was considering to do a PIF but as they are pretty cheap I was thinking it is not worth. I thought nobody would want them as they are used and new ones can be cheaply bought. I also tried to offer them to my children, but they did not want them either.
Fair enough

I'm pleased your Omega is performing well for you. I'd get one if they weren't so darn big.

I just received my first real synthetic in the mail myself! I got a Yaqi 24mm Synthetic Tuxedo. Totally different than the previous Sally’s Beauty synthetic I was using

Attachments

• 0579CC94-2CF7-4F43-A9E4-B702FC4697D2.jpeg
    0579CC94-2CF7-4F43-A9E4-B702FC4697D2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 52F130DE-2CCF-40EF-ABE0-471406FE19A3.jpeg
    52F130DE-2CCF-40EF-ABE0-471406FE19A3.jpeg
    924 KB · Views: 4
Fair enough

I'm pleased your Omega is performing well for you. I'd get one if they weren't so darn big.
I was surprised myself how big the Omega handle is. I came across the Proraso Omega and just didn’t like the chromed plastic.. that and the size just turned me off

though my Yaqi isn’t small.. feels better in the hand than the Proraso/Omega did

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I love your Yaqi haha is it meant to look like space?

Thank you for your generous reply.

This type is indeed named "Mysterious Space". The beautiful universe above makes my shaving time more visually enjoyable.

Top Bottom