What's new

First go with Naniwa Stones

So after much debate and reading, I settled on Naniwa Specialty Stones. I got a good deal on 5 stones, so I went for it. The set came with 220, 1k, 3k, 8k, and 12k. I liked that it came with the 220, because I have a couple that I am working on restoring and they may need more than 1k to get going. Anyway, my daily shaver was starting to tug and give irritation. It was time. I watched the youtube video from Lynn Abrams a couple of times and went to work. I bought the razor from The Superior Shave, so I assumed the bevel was good and skipped the 1k stone. I probably could have skipped the 3k too, but I figured why not. So I did 3k, 8k, 12k, then poor man's balsa strop from Larry. After that 60 laps on the leather hanging and took it for a shave. The shave was great! I only did 2 passes as it was late at night, but I think it is pretty much right back to where it was when I got it.

It was much faster and easier to do than I thought it would be. It took me longer to lap the stones, since they were brand new. I was so worried about hone wear and kept going back and forth over whether or not I should tape the spine. I decided not to, since the bevel was set without tape. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no noticeable hone wear when I was done. I am hooked. So now I have a couple more to do that will actually need the bevels set. I can't wait to give them a shot. I guess it is time to start looking into natural finishing stones! :)

Once you can do 10 in a row of different blades and condition then imo your on your way. Good luck. I would wait on the nats a little.bit. not too long. But nail it on the synths first. Jmo

Congrats - the Nani Specialty Stones are very nice to work with. Be careful with the 220x, you can get into trouble fast with those low grit stones.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yep I plan on doing a bunch more before getting any natural stones. I will probably start looking into them sooner rather than later though, since I tend to do a lot of research before making any purchases. I am hoping not to need that 220 too much, but I have one sitting at home that might need a little work on it. I will mostly be using the other 4.

Congrats and glad you had a great shave, as Keith advised be careful with that 220 you can move alot of steel, I to started off with Lynn's Vids and since that day long ago and after working with my Hone Daddy [MENTION=44174]Doc226[/MENTION] I have modified my honing greatly, as you get more comfortable try using less and less strokes you would be amazed how little is needed to hone a good quality razor that has no issues.

I can believe it. I was surprised how little I actually had to do to bring the edge back. I was set to be there for a couple hours working on it. It was nice, I had some time left to work on my sanding on another blade!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Those are very nice synthetic stones. Easy to lap and use, and feel great, with good feedback. Good consistency. Reasonably fast stones, even the 12k. I usually use lapping film but when I have a large batch of razors to hone, I break out the Nannies.

I can believe it. I was surprised how little I actually had to do to bring the edge back. I was set to be there for a couple hours working on it. It was nice, I had some time left to work on my sanding on another blade!
Where the real time is spent is setting the bevel. The rest is a breeze. So refreshing an edge is a non-event.

Top Bottom