What's new

First Go At Making a Brush

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I pulled the trigger on a wood lathe that I've been wanting for a while now. Needing some beginner projects I figured a couple shave brushes were a good place to start. I'll post my progress here. Just getting started, I haven't even ordered knots yet. But here is the project thus far. The blank was the perfect size for 2 brush handles. The middle will be the bottom of each brush.
20220503_195255.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I pulled the trigger on a wood lathe that I've been wanting for a while now. Needing some beginner projects I figured a couple shave brushes were a good place to start. I'll post my progress here. Just getting started, I haven't even ordered knots yet. But here is the project thus far. The blank was the perfect size for 2 brush handles. The middle will be the bottom of each brush. View attachment 1450032

Oooooooo, what a neat project! I am loving the look of the handles already, and they are still on the lathe! I can't wait to see what you do next. The wood that you used has awesome looking texture, which really surprises me right out of the box. Which means, if you were just to clear coat the handles, that alone would get some sales in the BST forum I'd think!

All I know is, I know practically nothing about wood crafting, and I am already really impressed with what you accomplished within a very short time. I see this as a beginnings to a new journey in your life. You may not see it now, but I forcee you one day, having 2-dozen different types of brush handles turned by the lathe.

And then, I forcee you selling just the handles, or full brushes with handles. What a great things you've discovered, I freaking love it! Now, post more pictures so I can like more lol. :lol:

Depends. I think out of these brushes I used 7 or 8 different kinds of wood. From Maple to oak to cocobolo. I just don't remember. I made these a few years ago. I've made a few bowls and a couple of lather bowls. Christmas decorations, Pens, Little tools, Bottle Stoppers, and lots of things that can be turned from hardwoods. It's a lot of fun. I had hand and shoulder surgery recently so I haven't had a chance to turn anything for a while now. Plus I need warm weather as my lathe is in the garage.

Downside, no casual, nighttime, or bad weather projects.

Upside, once I roll my lathe out into the driveway:
great lighting
noise dissipates
no dust management / easy cleanup
I agree.
I made my own bench for mine with two drawers and locking casters. The casters drop it to the ground so it can't move around and sits solid. That with a folding table I made with the sharpener/grinder and tool caddy and I"m all set. In the Bright Light!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
And on the brightside of things (back to me ;-)) my lathe sits nicely in an indoor room in the basement.

Top Bottom