What's new

First generation Contour

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I just read a post where someone was saying their Contour was to mild. I've been using my Contour for awhile now and it shaves m face fine. I do get some nicks with a fresh blade, but I also get very BBS shaves and the blades last a long time. I have other razors, but the Contour is so easy to use and as I said the blades last a long time, so I just soak my brush while I'm showering, get out, and start lathering and go straight for the razor.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I just read a post where someone was saying their Contour was to mild. I've been using my Contour for awhile now and it shaves m face fine. I do get some nicks with a fresh blade, but I also get very BBS shaves and the blades last a long time. I have other razors, but the Contour is so easy to use and as I said the blades last a long time, so I just soak my brush while I'm showering, get out, and start lathering and go straight for the razor.
I'm a fan of the Contour as well -- I always get good shaves from mine. I'm sure it's a preference/YMMV thing....some folks like more blade feel.

I've got an original Contour with the push button and the metal handle instead of the plastic and steel handle. Its a great shave especially with a carbon blade. The head while the same kinda as the others, just glides over the face and gives me a really DFS every time.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The Gem contour ll should give a nice 3 pass shave, I have used the the Gem G bar that has the same head and it is mild but with a 3 pass it can give a close shave IMO. Glade you are enjoying the Gem contour. I have a Gem push button
Gem 1958-65 push-button razor (2).jpg
1958-65 model and it is a nice razor also but its not the Gem Contour l version.
What I have found with a mild razor is a 3 pass will give CCS,DFS,BBs range for a carefree shave, were a aggressive razor can have a little drama with a 2 pass.
Gem Contour razors were the last mechanical razors that GEM MFG produced before all the disposables and cartridge razors started to dominate.(makes me sad a little)

Gem featherweight 2nd Gen (L) 2nd generation cap.... GEM G bar(C) (same cap)........Contour ll (R)(same cap)
1593807794090.png

So having any one of these 3 should give a very nice shave in theory IMO. The contour ll razor might have a longer handle that some folks might like.

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom