What's new

First fountain pen

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
It came down to a choice between the Metropolitan, the Lamy Safari, and the Kaweco Sport. The Metro. was the least expensive, and people said it wrote very well, so that's how I made my choice. Plus it was the most attractive of the three to me. Although, I did like the idea of the triangular grips on the German pens. I have a ballpoint with a grip like that, and it's very comfortable.
Excellent choice. Of those three pens, the Metro is definitely the traditionalist's pen. Lamy and Kaweco are good brands, but evoke a distinctive style that you're either really into or really not.

Great Choice. If it came with a converter, you can use that to "suck" ink of an ink bottle and refill your pen.

If it did not, you can buy one or you can buy a syringe and refill the cartridge that came with the pen. Such syringes can be helpful applying lubrication/adhesives in other endeavors.

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Founta...erter&qid=1623254838&s=office-products&sr=1-1

Great Choice. If it came with a converter, you can use that to "suck" ink of an ink bottle and refill your pen.

If it did not, you can buy one or you can buy a syringe and refill the cartridge that came with the pen. Such syringes can be helpful applying lubrication/adhesives in other endeavors.

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Founta...erter&qid=1623254838&s=office-products&sr=1-1

I got the converter, too.

It arrived today.

4DCBDDD7-9D3E-4DBB-8F73-30C15F2C0CF9.jpeg

Fountain pens are great. That’s all I use now. It’s good to keep a ballpoint on hand to pass out to people or if you ever need to write on glossy paper.

I never got into collecting either. The thing with fountain pens is that you need to use them regularly to keep them from getting clogged up. Having too many pens on the go turns into a maintenance chore. One all around workhorse is a good way to go. If you use them regularly they don’t need much looking after.

Once you find your go to ink you can always fine tune the non to your liking. Going wetter is easy. Drier not so much.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It comes with one cartridge. That gives me time to think about ink later. Since it only holds one color, I'll only need one bottle.
I use three coloured inks (black, blue & red) so I have three all different fountain pens.

There are even more colours available and then there are different types of inks. Each ink should have its own fountain pen. Some buy their inks first and others their fountain pens.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Keep us posted. My first fountain pen was a hand-me-down from my Grandfather. I still have it and it still works as well as when it was new.

In this picture of some Sheaffer pens it is the Green Striated one second from the right.

balance-pens-small.jpg

I use three coloured inks (black, blue & red) so I have three all different fountain pens.

There are even more colours available and then there are different types of inks. Each ink should have its own fountain pen. Some buy their inks first and others their fountain pens.
My first intention was to buy two for work, one with black and one with red ink. Then I decided to buy one just for personal use, and if I liked it, then I might buy for work.

I wrote with the pen today. Very impressed with how fine a line it writes without feathering. It could definitely be used for work. (I sometimes have to write in fairly small spaces.)

I've walked over to the rabbit hole and looked in. I ordered my first two bottles of ink.

Robert Oster - Thunderstorm

Herbin - Bleu des Profondeurs

Yes, I know. They aren't made by pen manufacturers. Oh well. I might order a medium nib pen for my journal. If I do, I'll have to buy a new journal. I've had one for donkey's years that I haven't written in and went to get it to start, and I couldn't find it anywhere. 😣

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I wrote with the pen today. Very impressed with how fine a line it writes without feathering. It could definitely be used for work. (I sometimes have to write in fairly small spaces.)

I've walked over to the rabbit hole and looked in. I ordered my first two bottles of ink.

Yes, I know. They aren't made by pen manufacturers. Oh well. I might order a medium nib pen for my journal. If I do, I'll have to buy a new journal. I've had one for donkey's years that I haven't written in and went to get it to start, and I couldn't find it anywhere. 😣

Since J. Herbin has been making there own ink since sometime in the 1700s I would think they know how to do it well.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Since J. Herbin has been making there own ink since sometime in the 1700s I would think they know how to do it well.
+1 J. Herbin's main line is a generally regarded as safe. Their special editions can inks get pretty saturated, though. Just means to pay extra attention to pen cleaning. Also, the shimmer stuff like Emerald of Chivor or anything advertised as "sheening" requires more pen maintenance.

I don't have any personal experience with Robert Oster inks, but he is a very well known figure in the fountain pen hobby and his inks are highly praised. Should be fine in your Metro. With any artisan ink, though, I would just watch out for odd behavior, and it may be pickier about nib and paper than your garden variety pen company ink.

Welcome to the 🐰🌑 !

Top Bottom