What's new

First fountain pen

I've looked at websites and have they have pens they call starter or beginner pens (inexpensive). I've watched some videos about the different size nibs. I was originally thinking of buying a couple cheap ones for work, but I changed my mind. I decided rather to buy one for writing in a journal. Websites and videos suggested a medium instead of a (extra) fine nib for journals and letters. Since I've never used a fountain pen and, therefore, have no personal experience of them, I will ask you who do use them for journals and letters, what size nib do you suggest? (I did do some calligraphy back in school in art class. That was a very long time ago. Plastic pen handle, insert desired nib, dip in bottle of India ink, and write.)

Coming from someone with a near unreadable handwriting that still prefers fountain pens over everything else. I can only say the broader the nib the tidier your handwriting should be as you see every imperfection in cinemascope :c9:

As to pens I'm quite fond of the entry level Kawecos either the Sport for pocket carry or the Perkeo for general use. You can use them with cartridges or converters if you go for fancy inks. I'll post some pics later on.

Look at Pilot Pens they have a pen for all budgets and are good pens. I use a Sailor for journaling it is a small pen but good when capped.
I was looking at the Metropolitan.

I did a search on Sailor at Goulet pens, and that can bring up pens from $30 to $600.

I did a search on Sailor at Goulet pens, and that can bring up pens from $30 to $600.
Kaweco
6E9D8822-AC64-4B45-87C3-B5BBD8A5ED55.jpeg

1E2DB064-3673-48F0-9626-C46603AFE0C8.jpeg

What do you normally write with, and how do you find that? If you usually write with quite a wide rollerball and find that ok, I would be tempted to go medium.

If you buy one of Lamy's less expensive pens you can also buy spare nibs in different sizes very economically and try out the whole range for yourself. The just slide off so that you can change nib if you want.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Welcome to the sickness...er, hobby! So many good "starter" pens, I couldn't even begin to say one is better than another. Stick with the common manufacturers like Lamy, Kaweco, Pilot, Platinum, TWISBI, etc and you'll be fine. Be mindful that Japanese nibs write one size smaller nibs than European nibs, ie. Japanese fine = European extra fine, Japanese medium = European fine, etc. Pens from other Asian countries that aren't Japan, like TWISBI or Opus 88, usually have German nibs (Jowo or Bock usually) and fit the European nib standard.

As to nib size, here's my recommendation:

If your journal is a dot-grid or "bullet" style journal or has non-fountain pen friendly paper (which will make the nib write wider), then you probably want an EF or F. If you have small handwriting, EF or F would also be best.

If your journal has traditional 6 or 7mm lined pages and/or you have a larger handwriting, then M or B would be best. If you want to "show off" ink properties like shading or sheening, a broader nib is also preferable.

As already stated, your preference in ballpoint or rollerball pens is instructive, whether you prefer a very narrow, precise line or wide, meaty line.

tankerjohn

Most pen companies make models across a variety of price ranges. Sailor is better known for its gold nib pens, but I've heard makes a nice steel nib too. Sailor nibs are famous for a pencil-like feedback that some people absolutely adore and others consider too scratchy. If you are looking for a smooth, buttery writing experience, you probably don't want a Sailor. But if nib feedback sounds interesting, you just might like a Sailor.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

That is a well-regarded pen, and a good "starter". It's also a good "forever" pen so not JUST a starter pen if you like it. And for the price, you can get two, with different nib sizes, to compare a "F" and a "M" (these are Japanese nibs, so a bit finer than European.)

(General rule of thumb is that European "F" = Japanese "M"; Euro "M" = Jap "B"; &c. Generally speaking if the pen is not made in Japan, assume an European nib style.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I did do some calligraphy back in school in art class. That was a very long time ago. Plastic pen handle, insert desired nib, dip in bottle of India ink, and write.

If you want to do that style with a fountain pen, a good starting place is the Pilot "Plumix" or the various italic nibs offered by Kaweco.

What do you normally write with, and how do you find that?
I normally use ballpoint pens, the freebies such as what banks hand out. I find them sometimes fine and sometimes frustrating having to scribble on scrap paper to get the ink flowing.

If your journal is a dot-grid or "bullet" style journal or has non-fountain pen friendly paper (which will make the nib write wider), then you probably want an EF or F. If you have small handwriting, EF or F would also be best.

If your journal has traditional 6 or 7mm lined pages and/or you have a larger handwriting, then M or B would be best. If you want to "show off" ink properties like shading or sheening, a broader nib is also preferable.
It's the latter, the type with lined pages. My handwriting is not particularly large. If I were to guess, the writing would average around 6mm in height.

tankerjohn

It's the latter, the type with lined pages. My handwriting is not particularly large. If I were to guess, the writing would average around 6mm in height.
Okay, I think that a European fine/Japanese medium would suit you just fine.

I wish there were a pen store in town, so that I could hold one and get the feel. I'll have to check Kansas City next time I'm up there.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Bear in mind also that the broader the nib, the more often you'll need to refill your pen--so do consider how much writing you do.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My first was not one of those new fangled fountain pens but rather a post office nib pen. It was in the final two years of primary school. Prior to that it was pencils only. The nib was dipped into an inkwell fitted into the desk. That is were we learnt our first penmanship.

We were not allowed the luxury of fountain pens until we started high school.

Top Bottom