What's new

First fight with a Feather.

Legion

Staff member
I've been wetshaving for a few years now. I've tried a bunch of soaps, creams, razors, brushes and blades. There has always one thing that I have not been too keen to try out, though. The dreaded Feather DE blade. The main reason why I was always a bit nervous of this blade was because of all the cautionary tales on this forum. "Sharpest blade ever" etc, etc.

Well today I thought, why not? And I loaded up a Feather from a sample pack I've had sitting around since I started out. For sciences sake I used my most trusted razor (40's SS) and current "go to" soap. (MWF) And off I went.

Let me tell you, all the horror stories are true. Did I get about the most BBS of my life, with one less pass than normal? Yes, indeed I did.
Did I need about a roll of toilet paper to stop the bleeding? Yes again.

I couldn't believe that there could be so much difference in the sharpness of a blade. I've used Derby's, Israeli's, Gillette's, Merkur's. Nothing comes close to demanding a steady hand and nerves of steel like these blades. Tiny slips that I KNOW I would have gotten away with with other brands resulted in a nice big, styptic worthy nick with the Feather.

My hat is off to you guys that face this blade every day. You have a steadier hand than I.

I had my first fight last night. I did okay....only a few weepers and the blade cut through my hair like a hot knife through butter. But when I finished I felt like I had shaved with a hot knife.....:lol:

guys it gets better just give it time if you want. after awhile it will be second nature to you if you still have any blood left...:wink:

I am wondering if it makes a difference if you have a heavy beard or non-heavy.

When your beard is non-heavy I assumed that these blades are too sharp and not necessary.
When your beard is heavy, you might be very satisfied with this.

I am going to try this blade.....

My first safety razor shave was not a bloody mess anyway....

I am wondering if it makes a difference if you have a heavy beard or non-heavy.

When your beard is non-heavy I assumed that these blades are too sharp and not necessary.
When your beard is heavy, you might be very satisfied with this.

I am going to try this blade.....

My first safety razor shave was not a bloody mess anyway....

I would agree. I have a fairly coarse beard (not like steel wire though). I love feathers in my slim adj...it really is like a hot knife through butter. I also love my red pack IP's but they require touch ups after my 2 pass shave, which is no biggie. I will continue to use both blades in my rotation.

I used a feather today and the alum block didn't even sting :thumbup1:

I have tried Feather twice. Both times it won. The first time was with a Merkur #125 open comb. Whole lotta weepers. The second time was with a 50's Blue Tip Gillette SS I purchased from a member over in Britain. Very mild razor. It did cut down on the weepers but still it was too many for me. I like the Israeli Personna, both types. The Dorco blades and the Greek Bic blades. I gave a friend a Feather and a few other types of blades to get him back into shaving with a DE. He hated the Feather also.

I've tried a feather in a Futur, Knack, Super Speed, and now a ball end gold tech.

The tech was the best shave out of any of them when it came to shaving with a feather. I threw on my strongest burning aftershave... and not even a tingle. :thumbup1:

Try it with a tech!

I have tried Feathers numerous times in numerous razors, and they just ain't for me. I wanted to love them, but you all know about unreciprocated love...

The first time I tried a Feather it beat me like a rented mule. Now however I really love the blade in my Tech. It gives a great shave. I'm assuming since the Tech is a gentle razor that this is why it works well together.

I had my first bout with a Feather about a week ago. I didn't bleed, but I got some WICKED razor burn on my neck. Pretty much the worst razor burn I've ever had. I probably had too much blade exposed in my Slim, so next time I'm either going to dial it down to about a 5 or use a Tech to see if that helps.

I have some feathers in my rotation. I used to love them in my slant until I sold it due to my slim and red tip taking over my bathroom...I love my slim set to 7 with astras and I think this thread has inspired me to use my feathers again as I haven't used a feather in well over two months. They yield amazing shaves for my beard type (moderate/medium). They are not that terrifying but in the hands of the inexperienced they are very unforgiving...but they are not a curse but a blessing to have a company that consisently produces reliably sharp blades everytime...god bless the feather!!

(I still love my astras first and foremost though, don't be angry at me like you were last week astra!! I love you!!)

chris

Top Bottom