What's new

First Feather Shave

Wowser! It feels like I shaved with a lawn mower. I got 4 cuts--five if you count the slice it took out of my finger trying to load the blessed thing.

Attachments

• inCollage_20210110_130224446.jpg
    inCollage_20210110_130224446.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Haha
Reactions: abj
What is your normal routine? Have you pat down your technique yet? Or was this more along the lines of Nietzsche - what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger? No worries been there and done that myself a couple of times...

Take a rest and allow yourself to heal :thumbsup:

Apparently the sharpness drops down significantly after the first shave. They'll still be on the sharp end of the spectrum but a little bit more forgiving.

Lol living dangerously.. a . hmm can not even remember ever cutting me on a blade while loading unloading.

But feathers nice blades especially in mild razors... reminds me to dig in my drawer to load one to use in a broman.

But hey stay safe have funn and no scarification please ;-)

Stay out of the Feather tuck until you have a consistent technique.

you will see that some of us use Feather blades on a regular basis. I for one use them exclusively. But, we have a stable technique (notice I didn’t say perfected). Until you consistently shave without cutting youself, stay away from the Feather blades. BIC too for that matter.

One tip on Feather blades. The first shave will be smoother if you hand strop the blade first.

What is your normal routine? Have you pat down your technique yet? Or was this more along the lines of Nietzsche - what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger? No worries been there and done that myself a couple of times...

Take a rest and allow yourself to heal :thumbsup:
Well, to be honest I found an old tube of Van der Hagen shave butter my dad wasn't using any more so I have that a try. This was my 11th shave, and I'm going through a the variety pack of razors I got with my razor. Shouldn't have switched two variables at once.

When I came down my dad was trying not to laugh but finally said "What did the other feller look like, slugger?"

Tee friggin hee.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Tbh some people never get on with Feathers and I am one of those. My first shave is always too rough, the second is meh and by the time I get to the final pass of the third shave it's so tuggy I have to bin it. Personna platinum are a third the price and I recently got 16 shaves from a single blade.
@TexOkie Shaver is right about Bics though, very sharp but I find them way more comfortable than Feathers and I can get between 10 and 13 shaves from one

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Tbh some people never get on with Feathers and I am one of those. My first shave is always too rough, the second is meh and by the time I get to the final pass of the third shave it's so tuggy I have to bin it. Personna platinum are a third the price and I recently got 16 shaves from a single blade.
@TexOkie Shaver is right about Bics though, very sharp but I find them way more comfortable than Feathers and I can get between 10 and 13 shaves from one
I am with you on this one! I actually like Feather ok for the first shave if it is in a Feather AS-D2, but for day two and after Crystals are sharper and hold up better.

Take 2-3 days off and use the growth time to map your beard.
Start out with some kind of prep (warm water/towel to the face) lather up with what you have at hand and do ONE focused WTG (with the growth) pass according to your beard map.
Next day look were the growth is uneven do again one WTG. Lather up a second time and have a go at those patches that you didn’t get the first time. Take your time and don’t overdo it - a light touch is all you need.

BIC blades have a reputation of being roughon the first shave and then great thereafter. Im wondering if you could avoid that rough first shave be stropping the blade. Its been theorized that the coating makes them rough and that once the coating wears away they are smooth. If I didn’t have over 300 Feather blades I would buy some just to experiment.

When I came down my dad was trying not to laugh but finally said "What did the other feller look like, slugger?"

Tee friggin hee.
I love that you can laugh about it! I know it was your dad that said it, but it shows you've got the right outlook. Regardless of Feather, Bic, Crystal, those are sharp blades. I would stay away from the sharpest blades until you have your technique down better. It may be another 50 - 100 shaves before you start getting shaves you're happy with. Stick with it, the end is worth the effort!

Congratulations on being here. This is a terrific resource with great people here to share & help each other.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They are sharp. I put off using them for ages due to the reputation surrounding them. Now paired with a milder razor such as a Gillette Tech or Merkur 34C/G they give me great shaves. They still need to be respected though. Let yourself heal and try again later on.

Feathers are very sharp and don’t tolerate the slightest technical error! (But I don’t need to tell you that.) :sob: :sob:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Some would disagree, but I wouldn't try a Feather (again) for about three months or so.

I've never had a weeper with a Feather blade, but they scared me to death and I didn't try one for many, many months. It's really a fine blade if your beard requires that level of sharpness, but it is the most unforgiving blade on the market for poor technique. It's also pretty bad in the longevity department.

You are the 2,467th beginning shaver to donate blood to the Feather. Cuts heal. I still use extra amounts of respect when using a Feather. You'll be ready for that bad boy after some practice. Hang in there, and use something else.

Top Bottom