What's new

First fast shave

:thumbup:

Normally I take 40 min but now I'm getting 20 min shaves. The trick I used was to do 2 WTG passes before moving to 1 XTG, and 1 ATG passes. I got a styptic pencil (boy I wish I had this before) and just light touches with it stops the small nicks and even some larger ones. After using the pencil I could finish up with Witch Hazel and ASB. Also some of my techniques (blowing up cheeks) are starting to payoff in that I don't have to do as much buffing at the end.

Also by speeding up my strokes and making them lighter, and shorter the extra WTG pass didn't add time and reduced buffing time. My next goal is to get a DFS in 10 mins with no major nicks and cuts. :w00t:

I can get a good DE shave in around ten minutes after lots of practice. Once you get more confident with the angles and the directions and map your face a little better. It seemed to cut down on my time significantly.

Right on! All I'd say is maybe slow down or watch your angle extra closely if you're still getting nicks and cuts. I also take comfort in knowing I'm not the only one who puffs out his cheeks while shaving! It works for me though; I never seem to irritate them, and it stretches out the skin without using the other hand.

Also check mantic59's "Ten-Minute Traditional Wet Shave" video on youtube

Yes - a ten minute shave is possible. It used to take me 20-30 minutes, but 10-15 (including use of the scuttle) is pretty normal today. Your speed will pick up with experience.

I use the cheek puffing thing with a straight and it really helps.

Congrats on getting your time down, the more you practice the better your technique will get and the faster you will be able to shave.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've always used long strokes. With a straight razor it takes me about 8 strokes to cover my whole face. I do four passes WTG, XTG, XTG the other way, and ATG followed by a little blade buffing on my neck where the straight is too large to go exactly ATG. Without all the short strokes this goes quickly without feeling rushed. Oh and the other time saver is that I have a goatee.

Also by speeding up my strokes and making them lighter, and shorter the extra WTG pass didn't add time and reduced buffing time. My next goal is to get a DFS in 10 mins with no major nicks and cuts.

Do what you're comfortable with, but it's not a race. Shoot for a good shave, whether 10 minutes or 25.

-- John Gehman

The more experienced you become the quicker the shaves.. However, I prefer to take longer as I see it, it's more of an indulgement.

Top Bottom