What's new

First experience with the OneBlade Core.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today was my initiation day with the OneBlade Core razor. The blade I used was the same Feather blade I used with the two Valet AutoStrop razors so this would be the fifth shave with the same blade. That is well within my expectations and experience using those blades in other razors.

The final result is an OK shave, maybe PG but not PDG but I am still learning how to use the sucker so the next couple shaves may increase to the PDG level.

What I like about the razor.

Visually the razor is okay, nothing great but also certainly nothing wrong. The head is small enough to get under my big nose, it is slim enough to use around my lips, the overall design is modern and should be familiar to all the cartridge razor users. And that may well have been the intention.

Loading a blade and changing blades is simple and should be reliable as long as the blade stops and guides do not wear down or get cutoff. If the user does not try forcing a new blade in or try to take an old blade out without lifting it over the stops it should last quite awhile.

The weight and balance are near ideal for my tastes.

What I find disconcerting.

That swiveling head. I know what it is claimed to do and I know it is a found in lots of the cartridge razors but for someone who has been using Gillette DEs for over a half century razor heads that wiggle and jiggle just feels oh so wrong.

I wish I could visually examine the blade stops. It's simply good to know all is correct BEFORE putting the blade to my face.

It seems I need to use far more pressure than I would dream of using with any of my other razors. It works and I don't think it is possible to actually do much damage with the razor but again, for someone whose shaving mantra has always been No Pressure is Needed or desired this razor just feels weird.

Summary.

The OneBlade core might be the ultimate gateway razor for folk coming from the brazillion blade cartridge world. It looks like an upscale cartridge razor, feels like an upscale cartridge razor, loads more like a cartridge razor than any DE I know of, uses similar techniques of a cartridge razor but gives better results than a cartridge razor. The initial price is only slightly more than the other entry level Double Edge and Single Edge razors.

I will see how my technique improves over the next few shaves and imagine it will become a keeper but not a regular rotation razor.

Last edited:
Today was my initiation day with the OneBlade Core razor. The blade I used was the same Feather blade I used with the two Valet AutoStrop razors so this would be the fifth shave with the same blade. That is well within my expectations and experience using those blades in other razors.

The final result is an OK shave, maybe PG but not PDG but I am still learning how to use the sucker so the next couple shaves may increase to the PDG level.

What I like about the razor.

Visually the razor is okay, nothing great but also certainly nothing wrong. The head is small enough to get under my big nose, it is slim enough to use around my lips, the overall design is modern and should be familiar to all the cartridge razor users. And that may well have been the intention.

Loading a blade and changing blades is simple and should be reliable as long as the blade stops and guides do not wear down or get cutoff. If the user does not try forcing a new blade in or try to take an old blade out without lifting it over the stops it should last quite awhile.

The weight and balance are near ideal for my tastes.

What I find disconcerting.

That swiveling head. I know what it is claimed to do and I know it is a found in lots of the cartridge razors but for someone who has been using Gillette DEs for over a half century razor heads that wiggle and giggle just feels oh so wrong.

I wish I could visually examine the blade stops. It's simply good to know all is correct BEFORE putting the blade to my face.

It seems I need to use far more pressure than I would dream of using with any of my other razors. It works and I don't think it is possible to actually do much damage with the razor but again, for someone whose shaving mantra has always been No Pressure is Needed or desired this razor just feels weird.

Summary.

The OneBlade core might be the ultimate gateway razor for folk coming from the brazillion blade cartridge world. It looks like an upscale cartridge razor, feels like an upscale cartridge razor, loads more like a cartridge razor than any DE I know of, uses similar techniques of a cartridge razor but gives better results than a cartridge razor. The initial price is only slightly more than the other entry level Double Edge and Single Edge razors.

I will see how my technique improves over the next few shaves and imagine it will become a keeper but not a regular rotation razor.
Nice read. I had a very similar experience with using the Oneblade V1

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So today was miserable, hot, humid, stifling and a shave before dinner seemed like a great idea.

I used the OneBlade Core V2 again BUT this time I used one of my Gillette made Valet razor blades that has to be at least a half century old. I have a bunch of them. I used TOBS Rose cream and one of my Vulfix brushes and a Heather 'n fern mug to build a nice lather. I finished off with some rose aftershave.

Okay.

This time I simply followed what seemed to be the consensus on using the OneBlade and rode the cap with far more pressure than I've used in ages; I could actually feel the head pivoting. The shave was somewhat boring. Two Pass. The half century old blade worked as well as the fifth use Feather and the end result was really close to PDG. There are still a few spots where I can feel whiskers but fewer than this morning. I imagine I could touch them up with just a little more practice and they are all in places where I have troubles with every razor.

The OneBlade does seem to perform as promised, very mild but also very efficient.

Summary.

Agreed. I like it, but not enough to keep in my regular quiver; I have it set aside as part of my travel quiver instead.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Shave three.

Well, it still does not do a good job on my neck or any of the difficult spots. It does still seem pretty much fool proof related to doing any harm but then I really hoped to do harm to them whiskers. One more day with it and I get to switch to the brass General.

I have a OneBlade Core that I'm trying out. I haven't been able to get very close on my neck even with 3-4 passes. I've been trying different angles, pressure, etc. Some shaves have been okay while others not so much. Not sure I'm going to keep it. I get better shaves with my DE's and Injectors.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Well, I need something enjoyable so it's time to pack the OneBlade away. Next up will be a Damaskene.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have continued playing with the OneBlade Core and think I have finally found the secret handshake and maybe even the Glow in the Dark Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring. Longer slower strokes with skin stretching as I do with a straight and the result gets as good as I have gotten from any safety razor over the last half century or more. And the surprising thing is that is with zero blade feel, zero burn, zero scrapes, zero irritation and even in the near impossible to get spots.

Long long ago and in a land far far away, in a different age and time when folk raced what they drove to the track, I really enjoyed racing.

The thing I liked about my Alfas were that on the track they made driving fast easy; it was as if the car was built just for me and was simply an extension of my body. My MGB on the other hand made everything exciting because to go fast you had to be right on the edge of losing control. The Quatroporte gave the same feeling as the Alfa but with four doors and a back seat and air conditioning.

The OneBlade Core though is priced like the MGB while providing the capabilities of the Alfa and the comfort of the Quatroporte.

I'm getting better results with mine now. I started making sure that the head pivot engages as I shave. Seems to help get the neck a bit closer. You definitely need a different technique with this razor. It does take some practice to achieve good quality shaves. I may end up keeping it after all.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm getting better results with mine now. I started making sure that the head pivot engages as I shave. Seems to help get the neck a bit closer. You definitely need a different technique with this razor. It does take some practice to achieve good quality shaves. I may end up keeping it after all.
I hope all does work out either way. And you are right, the thing just feels wrong initially and you have to unlearn lots of habits. That's why it may be best as a gateway drug, a way to bring folk from the world of brazillion bladed cartridges into the mind altering world of safety razors. They can move on to the hard drugs like DE and SE and Open Comb and Adjustable once they are hooked.

I've used the Core V1 & Core V2. The V1 was the mildest razor I've ever used. After a 3 pass shave, I still had at least 1.5 days worth of stubble remaining. Adding pressure to try and get a closer shave just gave me razor bumps. The V2 improved the aggressiveness quite a bit. Not in BBS territory for me but definitely a socially acceptable to fine shave territory. I'll probably use it if I feel the need for variety or if I have irritation since it's such an extremely smooth shaver.

I can't see myself going for the Genesis unless they bump up the aggressiveness a little more. Maybe tweak the bar to be more open-comb-like and let more lather reach the blade instead of most of it being scraped off by the bar. It probably won't happen but I can still dream.

Just what I need—another razor! I was thinking about buying one, but reading the above reviews leads me to believe that this may not be the holy grail of shaving after all. I’ve been shaving with a DE since 1959, and rare is the day when I’m dissatisfied with my shave. I am, however, grateful to those who have experimented with this razor and provided me with such useful information.

Just what I need—another razor! I was thinking about buying one, but reading the above reviews leads me to believe that this may not be the holy grail of shaving after all. I’ve been shaving with a DE since 1959, and rare is the day when I’m dissatisfied with my shave. I am, however, grateful to those who have experimented with this razor and provided me with such useful information.

I'm all for trying new razors, and the OBC will maintain a place in my collection. It was worth a try ... Though it will rarely, if ever, come off the display stand.

The simple truth is that for me, the shave from a good DE far outweighs the shave from the OBC.

Hello there Jar. I realize this is a resurrected thread but I'm looking at a single blade at the moment after some DE shaving. Thanks for the review.
-Bill-

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Hello there Jar. I realize this is a resurrected thread but I'm looking at a single blade at the moment after some DE shaving. Thanks for the review.
-Bill-
Take a look at the Occam's Razor razor as well.

Top Bottom