What's new

First experience with a Gillette SS Blue Tip

For the last couple of months I have been using my adjustables. I decided to try the SS Blue tip since I have read many reviews on the SS and all the reviews were favorable. I prep as normal, hot towel, Proraso pre/post cream, lathered some T&H Rose and loaded the SS with a new Israeli Personna. I proceded carefully since I was not sure of how much blade exposure (I knew blue tip is the lowest of the three). After the first pass I noticed the there was more blade exposure than in my adjustable setting of 3 but not much maybe a 4 or a 5. I did noticed that there was less stubble left after the first pass and no irritation. I continued to my second pass and after completion, I was pretty close to BBS. I did my regular touch ups and was very surprised to find a almost BBS. I did not want to push it any further until I get used to the razor but I was very pleased with the results.
Will I change my fatboy for this razor? Not sure. This razor felt very light compared to my slim and fatboy. I like feeling the heft of my adjustables. I think the tendency with this razor is going to be to put a little more pressure since it is very light but as long as I keep that in mind when I use it I do not forsee any problems.Because of the light weight of the razor I actually felt the blade cutting the stubble in contrast with my adjustabes that because of the heft you almost don't feel the blade cutting the hair. Overall, I like the razor and the shave but I do prefer razors that have a little heft to them, nevertheless, I will include this razor in my rotation.

Scorpio said:
For the last couple of months I have been using my adjustables. I decided to try the SS Blue tip since I have read many reviews on the SS and all the reviews were favorable. I prep as normal, hot towel, Proraso pre/post cream, lathered some T&H Rose and loaded the SS with a new Israeli Personna. I proceded carefully since I was not sure of how much blade exposure (I knew blue tip is the lowest of the three). After the first pass I noticed the there was more blade exposure than in my adjustable setting of 3 but not much maybe a 4 or a 5. I did noticed that there was less stubble left after the first pass and no irritation. I continued to my second pass and after completion, I was pretty close to BBS. I did my regular touch ups and was very surprised to find a almost BBS. I did not want to push it any further until I get used to the razor but I was very pleased with the results.
Will I change my fatboy for this razor? Not sure. This razor felt very light compared to my slim and fatboy. I like feeling the heft of my adjustables. I think the tendency with this razor is going to be to put a little more pressure since it is very light but as long as I keep that in mind when I use it I do not forsee any problems.Because of the light weight of the razor I actually felt the blade cutting the stubble in contrast with my adjustabes that because of the heft you almost don't feel the blade cutting the hair. Overall, I like the razor and the shave but I do prefer razors that have a little heft to them, nevertheless, I will include this razor in my rotation.

Have you tried the red tip, and if so, how would you say they compare?

J

I have been using my fat boy for years so I know what you mean, I have found that the head is a little Flatter on the SS so I had to adjust my angle of attack (less) quite a bit and if I went on autopilot man did I pay for it. It sounds like you are starting a beautiful relationship! :biggrin:

Goose,

I have a red tip but it is too aggressive for me. I put it up for sale or trade and had no replies. For me the red tip has too much blade but the razor had the heft of the adjustable and I liked that aspect. My Blue Tip and Red Tip are different years and that may account for the difference in construction and weight. I did have to watch my angles carefully, I knew it was going to be different but I took it slow and the end result was very good. I still don't think I will replace my adjustables but it is a good razor.

Rafael

Top Bottom