What's new

First experience with a Gillette black beauty

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Picked up a metal-bottom 1976 Black Beauty (BB) and took it for a spin this morning.

Interesting, in a word. I've been shaving with NEW SCs and OLDs for so long, this thing is both long and top-heavy, but. It swings around great - much like a Knack - due to the long handle. Some threads indicate a BB should lock, like a Slim; not the case with this particular year/model. It just tightens down, doesn't do the "Slim 1/4 turn." 1976 was the last year for the metal bottom. Anyways.

I've passed judgment on Nacet blades: my batch is sharp but rough. They don't shave well in a three-piece, but do nicely in an adjustable at lower settings - I started at 3 and dialed it up to 5 for a surprisingly smooth ATG shave. Tabac helped.

I like but don't love Slims and FBs. FB doesn't get under my nose well, and though I have memories of Slims kicking around the bathroom in the early 1970s, nostalgia alone doesn't shave well. OLDs and NEWs, both SC and LC, are best for me. But of the adjustables, the BB is very interesting due to its handling characteristics. Women would find it a perfect leg shaver, IMHO.

I was using a Krona for a few weeks recently and BB reminds me of it. Though Krona's head gets under nose better, it's useful to have an adjustable- not for your beard, which doesn't change, but for the different types of blade, which DO change. Smoother blades are best for OLDs etc. but rough or poor blades can be used in an adjustable, IMO.

BB is a fun change of pace razor, especially it a Slim doesn't work for you. 1976 was a good year; I remember it. Bicentennial unity and pride was upon us and this BB, with its W3 marking, reflects that.

AA

I've spent less time with my SA than my other Gillette adjustables; I don't think I've fully discovered it yet and we haven't really bonded, but I remain optimistic about it based on others' experience. I consider my FB a treat (it's been stripped down and rebuilt by Scott at North Shore Razors) but my best "adjustable" experience still comes with one of my Slims.

I have 2 black beauty razors. One is with the plastic base plate. Both good shavers. I think the Black Beauty is underrated. For me it gives a nice smooth and comfortable shave. Feels good in the hand. I think if I had to keep one razor out of my adjustables, it would be the black beauty.

Top Bottom