What's new

First Ever Prime Rib

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just popped my first ever bone in prime rib roast into the oven. I’m using the gourmet settings on my Wolf E series oven for the first time, also. After reading a multitude of recipes and opinions on how to make prime rib I decided to let the fancy oven do all the heavy lifting. Instead of setting timers and adjusting temps throughout the roasting time I just put the probe in, selected prime rib from the settings, and pushed start. I’ll let you know in a few hours how it worked. So far the whole house smells wonderful.
BD8BD75D-E640-4731-8256-8B34186F9AC9.jpeg

7A6EE91D-BB13-4A1C-8C43-B3CAC5F7568D.jpeg

FA6EF601-5814-4969-AA66-774F5FA27541.jpeg

don't mean to laugh in a bad way in a OH NO with the smoke alarm thing :)
nice looking oven ! and great lookin chunk of meat YUM

OldSaw

The wife's investment
don't mean to laugh in a bad way in a OH NO with the smoke alarm thing :)
nice looking oven ! and great lookin chunk of meat YUM
Thanks, I’m still learning how to use all the features. I bought all the appliances at the height of the pandemic shutdowns, etc. A lot of inventory was non existent. The cooktop was pretty reasonably priced and the speed oven wasn’t much more than a GE Cafe model, but when we got to the 30” convection oven that’s where they got me. However, it was an easy decision to make when all the “normal priced” stuff was on back order for six months or more.

Oh I just found your thread and this is a developing story...
I am definitely following along to see how it comes out. Is that going to be about a 4 hour job you think? Does it ask for any water for steam to prevent drying out? I am used to using a smoker low and slow. :drool:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Oh I just found your thread and this is a developing story...
I am definitely following along to see how it comes out. Is that going to be about a 4 hour job you think? Does it ask for any water for steam to prevent drying out? I am used to using a smoker low and slow. :drool:
I just took it out of the oven and tented it with foil. I forgot to take a picture and I already walked it across the street to my mothers house. I’ll try to get a pic before I cut it up.

Nice oven and PR. Very fancy stuff.
I usually cook the prime rib with the closed oven method. Works out great and it is a no fuss way to get it done.

Looks good! BTW, what's the netting on the roast?

Incidentally, if you're planning to make another bone-in prime rib roast in the future, you might want to consider cutting the ribs off the bones and then tying them back on with twine before roasting. That way, when the roast is done, you can carve it more easily while still maintaining the benefit of having the bones. Additionally, this allows you to increase the surface area for seasoning the roast by adding the underside of the roast (above the bones). It's a trick I picked up (from a cooking show?) and I've used it with my own rib roasts since.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Incidentally, if you're planning to make another bone-in prime rib roast in the future, you might want to consider cutting the ribs off the bones and then tying them back on with twine before roasting. That way, when the roast is done, you can carve it more easily while still maintaining the benefit of having the bones. Additionally, this allows you to increase the surface area for seasoning the roast by adding the underside of the roast (above the bones). It's a trick I picked up (from a cooking show?) and I've used it with my own rib roasts since.
The netting was on it when I took it out of the package. Saved me the trouble of tying it with twine, which I bought BTW just in case.

Great suggestion on the bones. Since this one was a gift and my first prime rib at home I decided to leave it as is. The bones nearly fell of when I went to carve it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Nice oven and PR. Very fancy stuff.
I usually cook the prime rib with the closed oven method. Works out great and it is a no fuss way to get it done.
I’m assuming I used the closed oven method. Once the probe was plugged in the door was closed and the program started. It went in at room temperature and the door stayed closed until the finish alarm went off.

The oven automatically cycled through the different temperature profiles for a perfect roast. It was so incredibly easy. Definitely took all the stress and worry out of it. No need to open the oven and stick a thermometer in. Just read the panel and it gives exact temp and target temp.

I’m assuming I used the closed oven method. Once the probe was plugged in the door was closed and the program started. It went in at room temperature and the door stayed closed until the finish alarm went off.

The oven automatically cycled through the different temperature profiles for a perfect roast. It was so incredibly easy. Definitely took all the stress and worry out of it. No need to open the oven and stick a thermometer in. Just read the panel and it gives exact temp and target temp.
I am not sure about your oven and the programme, but my oven is very simple. The closed oven method is when you crank up the heat to 500F and after reaching max temp you put the rib in there and keep it for 5min for every pound of meat. 4lbs=20 min. After that you turn off the oven and don’t open the door for 2 hours. Take it out and put some aluminium foil on top and rest it for 15-20 minutes. The internal temp should be about 130F for medium rare.

Excellent and a fantastic meal. I hope you and yours enjoy that very much!

It is just a outstanding cut of meat, usually expensive and can be difficult to find but just before Xmas, they are much more available and also less expensive, at least close to the actual holidays.

I got my son going on them some years ago and now he waits until no more than two weeks before Xmas, finds a store that sells them, almost always at a very reasonable price by that point (this year it was $10 / lb.) and then..... buys them all. Seriously, usually between 2 and 6. Cooks one, freezes the rest. Cooks them sous vide, finished off with a light char on the grill.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

Or you can just cut it off the ribs before carving. This route will keep it slightly more rare at the center. Despite the popularity of very rare prime rib, I read, and agree, that for such a highly marbled meat, MR to M is optimal, allowing the internal fat to melt. Served ours with roasted "iron clad" potatoes, braised Brussel sprouts, gravy for the potatoes and for hot roast beef sandwiches, horse radish and sour cream for the beef, and BV Cabernet Sauvignon to wash it down. Did the roast just as mother and grandmother did, salted crackle, roasted at 350. Waited an hour to toss in the potatoes.

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I am not sure about your oven and the programme, but my oven is very simple. The closed oven method is when you crank up the heat to 500F and after reaching max temp you put the rib in there and keep it for 5min for every pound of meat. 4lbs=20 min. After that you turn off the oven and don’t open the door for 2 hours. Take it out and put some aluminium foil on top and rest it for 15-20 minutes. The internal temp should be about 130F for medium rare.
My manual said not to preheat. So once it was set for prime rib, medium rare, it went up to 450 for a predetermined time or probe setting that the oven computer decided. Then it went down to 225 for the remainder of the time until the probe hit 135 And the alarm sounded. I took it out immediately and tented with foil for the 20 minute rest.

It was an eight pound, three bone roast. All eight of us, who were present, had our fill and everyone enjoyed it. We will be doing this again.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Excellent and a fantastic meal. I hope you and yours enjoy that very much!

It is just a outstanding cut of meat, usually expensive and can be difficult to find but just before Xmas, they are much more available and also less expensive, at least close to the actual holidays.

I got my son going on them some years ago and now he waits until no more than two weeks before Xmas, finds a store that sells them, almost always at a very reasonable price by that point (this year it was $10 / lb.) and then..... buys them all. Seriously, usually between 2 and 6. Cooks one, freezes the rest. Cooks them sous vide, finished off with a light char on the grill.
My daughter-in-law’s father gave this roast to her and my son several weeks ago. They were getting ready to make it when her grandmother died and they had to leave town suddenly, so they put it in the freezer. Then she took it out on Wednesday and brought it to our house last night so we could make it today.

Top Bottom