What's new

First electric after 20 years.

Good morning and happy new year to everyone. Thanks for the add. I am 64. Been shaving for a long time with an electric (old rotary from Philips until 2000) then mach3 and fusion proglide power flexball since 2015. The latter always gives me a perfect Bbs with little irritation even if I have a very coarse beard. Unfortunately after a car accident - fortunately I have recovered 100% - I have a little issue on the right hand joint so I started exploring the electric route again. I have ordered a xiaomi s500 from AliExpress. Will be here in a week or two. What do you think about it?

I dont have first hand experience with that one but with Electrics I personally find you get what you pay for. There is another member who has been going through a bit of a ERAD and scooping up any electric he can find, be it to be used for parts or to be shaved with after minor repair, who would tell you quite the opposite in that the older more basic designs arw plenty effective. I've really found "ymmv" applies more with electrics then blades.

With something like an electric I would rather have the backing of a bigger company as inevitably it will need parts and/or servicing... You won't get that from a label slapped Chinese shaver. Also the big companies have return policies even on used shavers.

In all honesty it probably will be serviceable but I won't be surprised if you quickly try a different model. Foil shavers follow motions more like using a razor, rotaries like that involve more of a scrubbing motion.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Never ever think about what you can't do, just think about what you can do differently.

You won't get that from a label slapped Chinese shaver
it's definitely NOT a "label slapped chinese shaver" . It's made by Xiaomi (the same vendor of the famous smartphones) . According to another user here on B&B it shaves quite well

It shaves quite well. But my chin area has sensitive skin and gets irritated of this electric razor. Especially when shaving dry. That is reason I'm moving towards DE and even shavette.
Replacement head is avalable at Ali.
but anyway i paid it only 29 euros and an arc 5 from panasonic (special offer on amazon) is arriving anyway.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Never ever think about what you can't do, just think about what you can do differently.
i have never used my "accridents" as an excuse. I have been training with weights without stopping over the last 29 years and even with the right wrist fracture i didn't stopped training and taking care of my body/health and i can say i'm in the best shape of my life at 64. So... no excuses and always forward! Even if that means using an electric :)

Well I can confidently say that your openness to trying two different models along with your general positive outlook on the situation (and life in general by the sounds of it) should lead you towards the path of success. I fully understand its poetic to have a 30+ min proper shave but I just don't have that time so I prefer Electric razors that I have the option to lather with incase I want to get 'fancy'. That isn't taking into account the horrid ingrowns I would get even from DE shaving due to my flat lying thick hair and dense growth pattern which I get little to none of with a foil shaver and absolutely none of with the Philips oneblade. Keep us posted on your results and journey, Electrics have a very small (but growing!) following around here.

Heard of Xiaomi (phones) but haven't seen the razor. At that price it's worth a shot. Before diving into DE/SE, I was an electric razor guy (Braun Series 7). It was a pretty good shaver. Electrics get a bad rep on here but some are actually really good.

Heard of Xiaomi (phones) but haven't seen the razor
i have the xiaomi mi8 smartphone and at 250 euros it performs WAY better than my wife's iphone X. It has 1.5x ram also (6gb vs 4) and 256 gb rom. So, if the quality/price ratio indicator of my Mi8 is good, i should have good results with the S500 ;)

i know...but unfortunately i couldn't find any forum dedicated to electrics/modern razors.So at least here there's a subforum where you can exchange tips/ideas

Electric shavers have there place. They offer a quick no fuss shave. When I was working I used one on trips for a short time, until I left it at the hotel room (nice Braun) so I switched back to a Trac II. Years ago my dad had to switch to an electric for health reasons (unstable hands). For now I enjoy my DE shaves but it gives me comfort to know the good electrics are out there in case I need to make the transition.

Good morning and happy new year to everyone. Thanks for the add. I am 64. Been shaving for a long time with an electric (old rotary from Philips until 2000) then mach3 and fusion proglide power flexball since 2015. The latter always gives me a perfect Bbs with little irritation even if I have a very coarse beard. Unfortunately after a car accident - fortunately I have recovered 100% - I have a little issue on the right hand joint so I started exploring the electric route again. I have ordered a xiaomi s500 from AliExpress. Will be here in a week or two. What do you think about it?

The suspension on the shaver looks well designed.

My preference is for lower-end shavers. I actually find some of the older designs to be perfectly adequate. If you get too many blades into a rotary, it just becomes a chore to clean.

The main things to get a great electric shave are taking care of your skin (exfoliate a few times a week) and cleaning and lubricating the shaver regularly. The exact technological sophistication of the shaver is relatively secondary. Foils haven't really changed in a half a century, and rotaries haven't really changed in decades.

You can get a refurbished Norelco 2100 for peanuts on eBay, and it's a perfectly decent shaver.

Last edited:
My one worry would be replacement parts/heads/etc for the device. Being a not readily available (you had to order from Ali) razor if your blades go dull and you don't get a good shave from it, the risk is run that in a year or so they stop making the razor and parts are unavailable, then you'll have to buy a new system.

I can still get foil/blade/heads (forget what they're called) for my Braun system 10 years later.

Other than that, I haven't used an electric in a long time, so I'm out of the game lol.

Welcome to the B&B!

It's not that hard to get new foils and cutting heads for most shavers from Braun, Remington, Philips, or Panasonic going back to the 80's or 90's. There are still alot of guys using old shavers. I doubt newer shavers will fare so well, however, as they are being made with waterproofing and lots of little plastic bits and tight-fitting body panels.

Last edited:

Hope you get your hand back fully, good luck.

Top Bottom