What's new

First dozen SR shaves and no major scarring!

Up until very recently, shaving has been a necessary evil. A drudgery. The weekly shaving routine amounted to three days with a cartridge razor (whatever was on sale at Costco) three days with the electric razor (done while half asleep) and one day without shaving. Then a not so funny thing happened. COVID-19. I found myself with lots of time on my hands. The first month I grew a beard. Then I bought a straight razor and shaved it all off.

I then discovered the Badger and Blade. I’m a changed man. Cartridge and electric razors, sacrilege! Seven shaves a week wasted! My morning routine has taken on new meaning. This is time for private contemplation. An opportunity to perfect my straight blade stroke. Serene moments stropping today's SR. If I could shave three times a day, I would! But wait, wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. I’m new at this game. I would like to say I’m a seasoned pro after a dozen shaves but reality mocks me. At the moment two days shaving requires one day to heal before the next shave. One pass, covering about 95% of my whiskers and only two nicks, is a success. This morning my 19-year-old son popped into the bathroom and exclaimed “Dad! you cut yourself” There was a four-inch trickle of blood running down the length of my neck. “It’s just a nick. Only one. This is my best shave yet!”

I would like to think that all you seasoned vets, suffered through a stage of overwhelming enthusiasm and less than impressive SR skills. No one gets to a BBS shave easily, right? Just because you’re not yet great with an SR blade doesn’t mean you’re not a man. It takes a lot of courage to cozy up to an SR when your still navigating which way the edge is pointing. The way I see it is, if anyone who says they have achieved a BBS shave in their first 20 SR shaves, must have a very small penis.

I figure I’ll just settle in, and with a little perseverance, I’ll pay my dues to the shaving gods and everything will work out fine.

Finally, to everyone here at the B & B who writes and contributes their knowledge and ideas, thanks. Every time I come here and read, I learn a little more and come to appreciate the art of shaving.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Scruffy, welcome the the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. I was a bit like you when I started SR shaving. Just remember, chicks dig scars.

It takes time and patience to develop your SR shaving technique and everyone is different. I am approaching my 150th SR shave and still learning with each.

Believe it or not, the sharper the edge, the safer the shave. Don't shave to cut your whiskers, just shave to remove the lather. With the proper edge, your whiskers will just come off with the lather.

Yes, indeed! Overwhelming enthusiasm followed by "why dont these shaves get better"?? Followed by "hey my shaves got better!" Followed by "Hey, check me out! I am a straight shaver with consistently good results!" :)

Welcome aboard, and give it time... it took me a good 3 months before I was getting consistent close comfortable shaves with no cuts, razor burn or weepers with an SR!

I agree man. SR is the way to go! Now you need to get a 7 day set.
As for nicks, that’s why they call them cut-throats! I shave with the SR because I’d rather be dead and cool than alive and uncool!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Up until very recently, shaving has been a necessary evil. A drudgery. The weekly shaving routine amounted to three days with a cartridge razor (whatever was on sale at Costco) three days with the electric razor (done while half asleep) and one day without shaving. Then a not so funny thing happened. COVID-19. I found myself with lots of time on my hands. The first month I grew a beard. Then I bought a straight razor and shaved it all off.

I then discovered the Badger and Blade. I’m a changed man. Cartridge and electric razors, sacrilege! Seven shaves a week wasted! My morning routine has taken on new meaning. This is time for private contemplation. An opportunity to perfect my straight blade stroke. Serene moments stropping today's SR. If I could shave three times a day, I would! But wait, wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. I’m new at this game. I would like to say I’m a seasoned pro after a dozen shaves but reality mocks me. At the moment two days shaving requires one day to heal before the next shave. One pass, covering about 95% of my whiskers and only two nicks, is a success. This morning my 19-year-old son popped into the bathroom and exclaimed “Dad! you cut yourself” There was a four-inch trickle of blood running down the length of my neck. “It’s just a nick. Only one. This is my best shave yet!”

I would like to think that all you seasoned vets, suffered through a stage of overwhelming enthusiasm and less than impressive SR skills. No one gets to a BBS shave easily, right? Just because you’re not yet great with an SR blade doesn’t mean you’re not a man. It takes a lot of courage to cozy up to an SR when your still navigating which way the edge is pointing. The way I see it is, if anyone who says they have achieved a BBS shave in their first 20 SR shaves, must have a very small penis.

I figure I’ll just settle in, and with a little perseverance, I’ll pay my dues to the shaving gods and everything will work out fine.

Finally, to everyone here at the B & B who writes and contributes their knowledge and ideas, thanks. Every time I come here and read, I learn a little more and come to appreciate the art of shaving.
Fear not. All it takes is consistent use and tending to some very basic principles:
Sharp blade
Close angle
Light pressure
Stretch your skin
Generally wetter lather than DE’s and such
Just work on the easy parts in the beginning - cheeks. This will get you through the initial intimidation of the razor. Once some level of comfort is achieved, go for other areas.
Learn to shave before getting into honing.
Consider getting an inexpensive half blade shavette like a Parker SR1. They are not as forgiving as a traditional straight but a good way to to learn without worrying with maintenance while having a perfectly sharp razor. As long as you keep light pressure and a tight angle, you will be fine.
These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Don’t even think about BBS. That is something that will happen all by itself in a few months but decent shaves should come around the 30 shave mark by 100 shaves you should be reasonably competent and an official straight shaver. For the most part, straight shaving is a self
taught OJT thing. Have patience and keep at it and all will come together.
Should you use a DE as a stepping stone? Not necessary, just continue your cartridge razor for clean up while you learn
Is straight shaving worth the hassle of learning? Absolutely!
Nothing will provide closer, more comfortable shaves than an SR. They are extremely face friendly. Have patience and don’t get discouraged and keep at it. After all, it is just shaving. Back in the day kids learned how to do it.

You’re on your way through the rite of passage. Many of us have gone before you and many will follow! 👍

Welcome to the brotherhood of real men! :biggrin1:

700+ Shaves in, I rarely nick myself and cuts that take more than a day or two to heal are a thing of the past.

BBS has never been a thing for me, I would rather have a close comfortable, long lasting, irritation free shave on a daily basis, so I only do a two pass shave. Mostly with the grain WTG and accross the grain XTG.

Advice is good, but eventually like most of us you will find what works for you, until it doesn't anymore and make some adjustments. Big learning curve when you start, small tweaks as you progress.

Take your time and enjoy the journey!

Congrats on your journey. Shaves get progressively better. Eventually you might even start honing. It's an awesome feeling to get a good shave from a freshly made edge of your own.

Great right up Scruffy Pete! You had me rollin telling it like it is. For sure it take more than 20 shaves to get consistant BBS shaves! Lol! I can say that in four years I have NOT knicked myself with a straight razor. My take is a very sharp edge is a safer way to shave. Kind of like you are more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife rather than a sharp one. I am a natural stone aficionado and if you would like to try Jnat, Ark, Thuri, Coticule edge I would do it at no charge just cover shipping. I got plenty of time to. Lol! Stay cool Scruffy Pete.

Scruffy Pete, sounds like you will have to change your name soon. How about 'Baby Bum Pete'? Hmm maybe the police might start following you about, better stick to 'Scruffy'.

When I started I had trouble with the chin & had to use the cartridge to finish the shave. But with time you'll do the whole face in two passes and end up BBS. Even so, the enjoyment never waynes.

Top Bottom