What's new

First dedicated "street photography" shoot

I've seen lots of great street shots both here and on the web, but it is nothing I have given any thoughts of doing myself (there is people involved) - until this month's challenge forced me to :scared:

So I decided the other day, as the forecast predicted good weather today, to give it a try at the nearest town.
I almost chickened out even before I left my apartment, but decided it was ridiculous and go; no one forced me to pull the trigger on the camera if I didn't wanted to.

So, I spent a little more than an hour walking up and down the main shop-street and even got some shots :w00t:, although I'll admit that about half the photos is without people in them - but it was a start :biggrin1:

Here are the ones I think are passable :wink:
Critique and recommendations are more than welcome.

My favourite of the day is this one
proxy.php

This one isn't too bad either
proxy.php

I should have moved forward and to the right, so I didn't split the lady on the left in two by the parking-sign pole
proxy.php

I like the overhead view of the marina through the arch
proxy.php

This one I made grainy to give it a little "drama" as the photo itself is boring, but I like the cobblestoned road
proxy.php

I like all of them I think the arch would be better if the rider and bike were cropped out. My attention is drawn to the rider and bike.

Yes, very nice indeed! Looks like you had a neat little town too! :thumbup1:

This has been working well for me, was doing it today:
Turn away from what you're shooting, just a few feet. Focus on something the same distance away, and when you think the time is right, turn quickly, grab your shot, walk away and check it later. No body ever realizes they just got shot!

Good shots, Soren! Bonus points for making yourself get out and photograph people. When I was trying to get something for the September challenge, my approach was to go where there were lots of people, and likely people taking photos. That way,I didn't feel like I stood out too much.

Legion

Staff member
Here is a little project for you.

Go and take a bunch of street photos of people, close up, with your phone. At first you will feel like a creeper, but pretend you are a spy.

The phone is a perfect disguise, everyone has one in their hand all the time. With an iphone you can fire it without sound using the headphone volume control.

Get used to just seeing a scene, walking up, and clicking. Do it sneaky at first, and eventually you will become more comfortable and quicker. After a while you can progress to the, as my friend calls it, confused tourist. He dresses as an American tourist, (he is from California, so it is not a stretch), loud shirt, tourist map, and high end camera around his neck. Then he just walks around, with a look of excitement on his face, clicking away like crazy. Everybody ignores him.

He knows that 90% of what he shoots will go in the bin, but GB's are cheap, and if he gets a couple of good shots it is all worth it.

Here is a little project for you.

Go and take a bunch of street photos of people, close up, with your phone. At first you will feel like a creeper, but pretend you are a spy.

The phone is a perfect disguise, everyone has one in their hand all the time. With an iphone you can fire it without sound using the headphone volume control.

Get used to just seeing a scene, walking up, and clicking. Do it sneaky at first, and eventually you will become more comfortable and quicker. After a while you can progress to the, as my friend calls it, confused tourist. He dresses as an American tourist, (he is from California, so it is not a stretch), loud shirt, tourist map, and high end camera around his neck. Then he just walks around, with a look of excitement on his face, clicking away like crazy. Everybody ignores him.

He knows that 90% of what he shoots will go in the bin, but GB's are cheap, and if he gets a couple of good shots it is all worth it.

Great advise, thank you.
I did look a bit of a tourist, I had a fire-truck red t-shirt on with a big yellow drawing on the chest, my camera bag over my shoulder and the camera in my hand all the time and constantly turning my head around to find motives, I'm pretty sure quite a few thought of me as a tourist :biggrin1: - but didn't think it actually could be an advantage.

I like all of them I think the arch would be better if the rider and bike were cropped out. My attention is drawn to the rider and bike.

You got a point, thanks.

proxy.php

$clovelly-down-hill.jpg

This is a street in Clovelly which is in North Devon in England. An exceptionally steep and cobbled road that is for pedestrians only, it is thought that most cars brakes would not be able to hold. Memorable to me for the fact that it was the only place that my dog would not walk, and she came everywhere with me, she stood at the top of the village shaking with fear.

Last edited:
Very nice shots. I like the cropped marina shot and the last street scene. All very good for your first foray. Keep at it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't mean to critique your photos, but where are all the cute Danish girls?

Have I been lied to my whole life?

One more thing I like to do, is to line up a great shot with the camera sitting on a ledge or something, have it all focused where you want it, then step away a bit leaving the camera sitting there until the right looking people cross by. Then I click a wireless shutter button. I don't even get a second glance if it looks like I'm just lighting a cigarette. The only thing I struggle with out there is finding that right moment that the right people are in front of the right background, so I try finding the background first and waiting for the people.

I don't mean to critique your photos, but where are all the cute Danish girls?

Have I been lied to my whole life?

No, you haven't been lied to - but there is no way I'm going to show you any cute Danish girls, you can't handle it :biggrin1:
All my photos of those ladies are kept on an encrypted (military standard) external hard-drive with no connection to the internet :001_tongu

"This one I made grainy to give it a little "drama" as the photo itself is boring, but I like the cobblestoned road"

I beg to differ! Drama abounds. The slope of the street and its general slovenliness gives it depth and interest, contrasted against some sharp and stark buildings. There is built-in tension and a story---where does that road go? (Or where did it come from?). Well done, people or no people.

Thank you very much.
I had never thought of it in that way, this is really awesome feedback.

Top Bottom