What's new

First decent shave accomplished

This Friday I've received the Filarmonica I had sent for honing, and I've just finished my first decent shave with it. It's not BBS, but at least I can say I'm shaved, and it wasn't a pain like previous shaves before honing. It's almost BBS on my cheeks, and the worst shaved part of my face it's the jawline. I wear a goatie, so I don't have to shave the most difficult part.

Had some minor burn all over my face, wich I didn't get on my previous attempts, but it's wearing off quickly.

So I can say I'm improving, but I still feel so far from being able to get a full BBS on my face and head (still haven't attempted my head, I'll keep on with the wilkinson quattro until I get better with the straight)

I'm reading some other newbie's posts that get excellent results in their first shaves, and I'm wondering how many of you guys had a so slow learning curve like mine, I feel quite clumsy right now :blush:

greetings

Congratultations.

I had my first straight shave yesterday and enjoyed it. The learning curve might be steep, but at the end you'll feel like you truly have accomplished something (which you will have).

Good for you and long may you enjoy. I am new to this too (into my second week) and I spend ages trying to get it right. That said I took an hour the first time and only half an hour today:w00t: For me the hardest bit so far is the top lip and tip of the chin but I want to get it right so am trying all sorts of angles and directions.

I guess it is trial an error, there is a steep learning curve as I have never honed or stropped before but B&B is totally crammed with good advice and this has helped me heaps. Getting good results and not hacking myself too much:biggrin:

I cannot believe how much I am enjoying shaving again; it used to be a daily grind with spray foam and disposables but now I really look forward to attacking my face with a badger & blade:cool:

Keep at it and take as many passes as you need and you will get a well smooth shave - cheers:001_smile

This Friday I've received the Filarmonica I had sent for honing, and I've just finished my first decent shave with it. It's not BBS, but at least I can say I'm shaved, and it wasn't a pain like previous shaves before honing. It's almost BBS on my cheeks, and the worst shaved part of my face it's the jawline. I wear a goatie, so I don't have to shave the most difficult part.

Had some minor burn all over my face, wich I didn't get on my previous attempts, but it's wearing off quickly.

So I can say I'm improving, but I still feel so far from being able to get a full BBS on my face and head (still haven't attempted my head, I'll keep on with the wilkinson quattro until I get better with the straight)

I'm reading some other newbie's posts that get excellent results in their first shaves, and I'm wondering how many of you guys had a so slow learning curve like mine, I feel quite clumsy right now :blush:

greetings

I'm about a month in (can't actually remember) and only now am I getting consistently close without irritation (and still a bit of irritation). My progress has been about as rapid as I think it could have possibly been and I wouldn't say it's a quick process. Just stick with it. Ignore trying to get your skin to pre pubescent smoothness for now and you'll enjoy it just fine. Straight shaving is about a man and his blade, anything else is secondary.

I would say I could get acceptable shaves when I started with a straight but nothing great, it took several weeks before I could move the straight around my face and neck and hold it without thinking about it that is when the shaves started improving, it will take a while and you will slowly make an adjustment or a correction in your technique and the shaves will improve

Thanks guys... I'm improving here. Just finished shaving, quite better than the sunday. Closer shave, and quicker too. Still some burn and nicks in neck, but nothing too bad. Did three passes, one WTG and two XTG.

Event tried with the easier parts of the head.

This is funny! :biggrin:

This Friday I've received the Filarmonica I had sent for honing,

i invested in 4 really nice razors with the intention of test driving all of them and getting rid of the ones i don't like as much. I have a Filarmonica #13 doble temple that rocked my world. easily took my shave up to a new plateau, and is currently my favorite after one lap through the razors. I'm going to give them all another go, but as it looks right now, I'll just dump all the rest and get the Fili cleaned and restored by a local straight razor master. maybe horn?
congrats!

And they are nice blades. Scales are ugly though.

I'm making a set of scales in ipê wood for my #14. I don't have many tools, and it's taking forever... but I think the results will be worth. I really hate electric blue plastic scales I have now.

Filarmonica Str8 razors rules! GREAT Shave! Beautifull razor; well balanced!
I have 1 Doble Temple n.º13; 1 Medallon taurino n.13:drool:; 1 Special Hard Beards "Especial Barbas Duras"!
For the next week im gonna have 5 of each:thumbup::thumbup:!!! I've been lucky in finding an acciente ex-wholesaler of the Filarmonia!!! It wasn't cheap but they worth every €!:thumbup:

Top Bottom