What's new

first de shaving kit. your option on it?

Hi Im new here and new to double edge shaving. I've been doing some research on what I should get and this place helped me a lot so I wanted to get your guys option on what I got.

For the razor I got i choose the Edwin Jagger DE89
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6Z24SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
I got the Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush with stand
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QHYYR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
For the soap I got soap sampler of chiseled face
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ADW3K8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got Edwin Jagger pre shave lotion, a shaving soap bowl, and an aluminum block.
The only thing Im still on the fence about is the soap. i saw a lot of people choose different soaps for beginners. I was looking at the Edwin Jagger soap pucks but i wasn't sure how hard it was to load and lather up with that soap. But please give me your option on what i got for my first de shaving kit. If I missed something i should have got or should try something else let me know. thank you

Hi and Welcome to Badger & Blade, you have got some good items there but sadly you have posted in the straights section. That's not a problem as I will move it to the double edge section where you will get more info.....

Hi and Welcome to Badger & Blade, you have got some good items there but sadly you have posted in the straights section. That's not a problem as I will move it to the double edge section where you will get more info.....
thank you. i just noticed that. still getting use to this website.

No problems Sir!!! I made the same mistake when I first joined, so your not the first and you wont be the last ...

Hi Im new here and new to double edge shaving. I've been doing some research on what I should get and this place helped me a lot so I wanted to get your guys option on what I got.

For the razor I got i choose the Edwin Jagger DE89
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6Z24SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
I got the Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush with stand
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QHYYR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
For the soap I got soap sampler of chiseled face
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ADW3K8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got Edwin Jagger pre shave lotion, a shaving soap bowl, and an aluminum block.
The only thing Im still on the fence about is the soap. i saw a lot of people choose different soaps for beginners. I was looking at the Edwin Jagger soap pucks but i wasn't sure how hard it was to load and lather up with that soap. But please give me your option on what i got for my first de shaving kit. If I missed something i should have got or should try something else let me know. thank you

You are off to a great start!

I had the same razor and similar brush when I started. I would recommend getting a sampler pack of razor blades from Amazon (Gillette Silver Blues, Personna Red, Astra SP, Feathers etc). They are as important as the razor and you will soon enough find a blade that works with your razor. I liked the Astra initially in the EJ de89, but have found others that work as well.

For the soap, I started with Proraso green tub and Proraso red tub. They are inexpensive, easy to lather and are good starters. Easy, easy, easy to lather and smell nice. Not the highest end soap, but did I say, easy to lather? Watch a couple of youtube videos if you have any trouble producing a lather.

You must have an aftershave! It is the icing on the cake after a shave. Proraso green was my first, reasonably priced and many will agree a great scent for the Spring and Summer months.

I know others will have their opinions, but this worked for me.

Good luck and many happy years of shaving bliss! :thumbup:

Welcome! I agree with Hedley, a blade sample pack is a great idea. I’m six years in and I’m still playing with different blades!

Regarding soap, I like Proraso but any soap or cream is fine. Really, just pick one and practice. Limit the variables to just blades and work on your technique. Try not to change too many things each shave.

You might want some blades to go with that.... Pro tip -- a razor works better with a blade in it. :001_smile

I've been using the EJ DE89 razor and the EJ BB Brush going on nine years now. A winning combination for sure. Agree a sampler pack is the way to go. Welcome to B&B!

Last edited:
has anyone tried the Edwin Jagger shaving soap? if so how is it to whip up a lather and use? i was looking at the lime and pomegranate scent

In addition to what other people said i would recommend to get a face scrub and use it not more than 3 times a week as well as preshave. As for aftershave , if you have a sensitive skin, you would better go with the balm, otherwise you can use whatever you like more of the three

For aftershave what the difference between lotion, balm and splash? The lotion I already use is an after shave lotion by Lubriderm for men but I just use that for my arms and hands. Would that work as one or is that part of an aftershave process?

Honestly, it’s a little convoluted and depends on the nation where the stuff is produced. In a nutshell: splash is a liquid aftershave which usually contains alcohol (sometimes called lotion, weird I know) where as balms are thicker and usually do not contain alcohol.

My post shave is something like this, but you got to find what works for you:

-warm water rinse, paying close attention to my neck area, pat dry face with towel
-quick splash of thayers witch hazel
-cold water rinse, paying close attention to my neck area, pat dry face with towel
-Aftershave splash, give it a few minutes to evaporate
-face lotion with SPF (day time) or a heavy serum (night time)

This is what works for me. I use alcohol based splashes because I like the burn, the antiseptic benifits, and my face doesn’t dry out too much. That said, some people find the alcohol to be too much so they stick with balms. Really, there is no right or wrong one.

Honestly, it’s a little convoluted and depends on the nation where the stuff is produced. In a nutshell: splash is a liquid aftershave which usually contains alcohol (sometimes called lotion, weird I know) where as balms are thicker and usually do not contain alcohol.

My post shave is something like this, but you got to find what works for you:

-warm water rinse, paying close attention to my neck area, pat dry face with towel
-quick splash of thayers witch hazel
-cold water rinse, paying close attention to my neck area, pat dry face with towel
-Aftershave splash, give it a few minutes to evaporate
-face lotion with SPF (day time) or a heavy serum (night time)

This is what works for me. I use alcohol based splashes because I like the burn, the antiseptic benifits, and my face doesn’t dry out too much. That said, some people find the alcohol to be too much so they stick with balms. Really, there is no right or wrong one.
I was looking at the thayers witch hazel unscented. But isnt that also considered an aftershave splash?

Welcome to the forum! All very good recommendations so far. You are off to a good start.

Some use an aftershave for antiseptic qualities. You can also get that in witch hazel. Some use it for the scent also. Aftershaves are more a personal preference. You could use witch hazel and once dry, use your lubriderm.

I was looking at the thayers witch hazel unscented. But isnt that also considered an aftershave splash?

I’d throw it into that category for sure. There are many people who use it as an A/S and there are people who don’t use it at all. I think I use it out of habit more than anything else, though witch hazel does have some healing properties (look up the history of WH if your bored). I don’t use it when I travel and I don’t see much difference in the post shave feel.

Welcome! I'm not a huge fan of Edwin Jagger shaving soap TBH. Their other products are excellent. Load whichever soap you use like you hate it (use more product) and enjoy.

Top Bottom