What's new

First DE Shave

So tonight I broke in the Gillette King razor. It wasn't awful. But it wasn't superior either.

I used the blades that came with the razor. I have eight other brands of blades to try (in alphabetical order they are: Astra, Darby, Feather, Gillette Platinum, Loi Salon, Shark, Sharp and Voshkod).

I just did one pass, and my Schick did a better job. I read the how-to on the sight. Kept the pressure to a bare minimum, tried to keep it at a 30 deg. angle, and took short strokes.

I did not cut myself. I could also hear the feedback, which was kind of cool. So there's that.

On the flip side, however, it took considerably longer and was not smooth. It did the job but I can still feel places of stubble. And where I thought the DE would shine, getting the problem area on my chin and above my lip--the places attack with the Schick's edging blade--it really didn't. It didn't do as well as the edging blade.

I guess this is why you need to do 2 and 3 passes. But that adds exponentially to the shave time.

So from my first shave, here are the pros and cons of a DE razor

Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Feedback

Cons
  • Takes longer
  • Not as close (but improved technique and a different blade might rectify this)

So that's where things stand with the first shave. Truth be told, being cheaper might make me stick with this even if it does take longer (and I was going very slowly, I'm still wary of cutting myself.)

--Dave "RookChamp" Thornton

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It gets better with practice. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. If you want you could start a Diary or a Journal in the Diary and Journal Forum. You can keep track of your progress there.

All the advice I've received from the gents on this site has really helped me. I'm old enough to remember when there only was DE shaving. Not many people knew about techniques, face prep, soaps etc. I learned how to shave , or maybe how not to shave from my Dad with the classic Gillette Black handle super speed adjustable. Great razor, and prized by collectors, but very few people knew how to use them and so shaving was something to be dreaded. Since nobody did multiple pass shaves, lots of guys pressed too hard trying to get close in one pass. With the right razor that suits you, proper prep, razor and soap, you're really sure to enjoy shaving.

So tonight I broke in the Gillette King razor. It wasn't awful. But it wasn't superior either.

I used the blades that came with the razor.

I just did one pass, and my Schick did a better job. I read the how-to on the sight. Kept the pressure to a bare minimum, tried to keep it at a 30 deg. angle, and took short strokes.

I did not cut myself. I could also hear the feedback, which was kind of cool. So there's that.

On the flip side, however, it took considerably longer and was not smooth. It did the job but I can still feel places of stubble. And where I thought the DE would shine, getting the problem area on my chin and above my lip--the places attack with the Schick's edging blade--it really didn't. It didn't do as well as the edging blade.

I guess this is why you need to do 2 and 3 passes. But that adds exponentially to the shave time.
Well done but bear in mid there is a learning curve.
The King C Gillette blade is getting good revues so get a few shaves with that blade before moving to another.
Gradual reduction is the way with the DE and bear in mind the 2nd and 3rd passes are easily achieved in under ~ 3 minutes. You end up with a much better shave.

I used the blades that came with the razor. I have eight other brands of blades to try (in alphabetical order they are: Astra, Darby, Feather, Gillette Platinum, Loi Salon, Shark, Sharp and Voshkod).

Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Feedback

Cons
  • Takes longer
  • Not as close (but improved technique and a different blade might rectify this)

So that's where things stand with the first shave. Truth be told, being cheaper might make me stick with this even if it does take longer (and I was going very slowly, I'm still wary of cutting myself.)

A few points that might help...
The multiple blade systems like mach 3 or fusion 5 or whatever are basically multiple blades passing over the skin... it's essentially trying in vain to replicate a 3 pass shave with more blades... but a lot of the time people who use cartridges who have thicker or longer stubble end up having to use many strokes over the same area to remove the hair... often 3, 4 or up to 5 strokes of a 5 blade cartridge that's 25 passes!!!

A proficient 2 passes with a DE will defeat any cartridge hands down in quality and I'd need to time it but I think it'd take me the same amount of time (I haven't used a cartridge in a few years). This is because a proficient shaver can go WTG to XTG in 2 moves.

Obviously it depends on a few factors, examples include:
1) How aggressive your razor is... (how much gap, blade exposure, blade feel/chatter etc.)
2) How sharp your blades are
3) How smooth your blades are
4) How fine/thick, short/long your stubble is.
5) How slick/cushion your shaving cream/soap is/has.
6) THE MOST IMPORTANT: YOUR TECHNIQUE. That comes down to experience, control and understanding of the above.

I've never used your razor though it's rated highly as a mild razor similar to the R89 varieties. I think it would pair very well with an Astra blade. You will understand which areas need more attention, how each area of your facial hair grows (the grain), which areas need a simple touch up and how you like to shave. Learn the 3 pass shave first.

I think shaving should not be rushed, it should be enjoyed and mastered like any skill, no cartridge can match DE shaving. The powers that be have emasculated men who have gone from men of honour and masculinity of brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves and steel/chrome razors to the mindless propane filled cans and plastic disposables that only work well for men with finer stubble.

Also I want to give you my warmest congratulations and welcome you to the league of the men who live before you from all walks of life from the gentleman, men of honour and valour to the railway worker... all men of renown who shaved used these fine tools and like any skill from a dentist, surgeon, chef, carpenter, architect... working with deft dexterity takes time, values once lost are being found and valued again. Your heritage is amongst men who used these tools and it lives on with you. Take your time master the skills... time is inconsequential in the beginning... a master chef will use their knife and can out cut in volume and quality an apprentice 5 to 10 times over and in less time... master your technique and savour your success..

Last edited:
I think I may have discovered another benefit of DE razors and that is a longer lasting shave. Generally 8 hours after a shave I have a five o'clock shadow cropping up. It's been 24 hours and it doesn't look like I need to shave. Though I can feel stubble all over my face and now I can't tell by touch where it wasn't that close at all.

I would need to shave tomorrow morning but since it is Saturday I probably won't though by Sunday I will break out the razor again.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Hair growth mapping helps to get rid of more stubble and achieve a closer shave. That comes in time. I find that, sometimes, watching videos of guys trying out shaving gear can be misleading. They seem to do a simple two pass shave and call it a success. But that's not realistic...or...if it is....they're in a minority of guys who can gets a DFS/BBS with such minimal effort.

After a couple of years of DE wet shaving, I've gotten my best most effective routine down to a two pass on my face and four pass with touchups on my neck. My shave takes between 15-20 minutes.

After a couple of years of DE wet shaving, I've gotten my best most effective routine down to a two pass on my face and four pass with touchups on my neck. My shave takes between 15-20 minutes.
The damn neck. It always comes down to that doesn't it? I call it three passes plus touchups but to be honest with myself, to get BBS on my neck it takes what amounts to 4 passes plus touchups.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
1 st shave with a DE was a adventure for my self approximately 4 years ago, to get a good shave means trying and improving your hand skills and you will become skilled and proficient.
I used cartridge razors for well over 35 years and did not really enjoy that type of shaving. Personally you can get a better or just as good a shave with a DE or SE IMO.
To get to a better shave regardless of what shaving system you use it would be a good idea to beard map your beard growth direction, it will just make your shaves more pleasant and less skin irritation.
Enjoy it and keep at it and you will see a better shaves before you know it.(your on a learning curve)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
The damn neck. It always comes down to that doesn't it? I call it three passes plus touchups but to be honest with myself, to get BBS on my neck it takes what amounts to 4 passes plus touchups.

Yup...I agree wholeheartedly. Neck is generally the problem area for many and requires a delicate educated touch.

Well done but bear in mid there is a learning curve.
The King C Gillette blade is getting good revues so get a few shaves with that blade before moving to another.
Gradual reduction is the way with the DE and bear in mind the 2nd and 3rd passes are easily achieved in under ~ 3 minutes. You end up with a much better shave.
I second this.

However, the KCG razor uses EJ/Muhle 89 closed comb head, which is not the most efficient head. The razor itself has been marketed by Gillette as ideal tool for " trimming beard lines".

I have not tried the KCG blades, but I would experiment with smth. sharper, say Feather.

Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Feedback

Cons
  • Takes longer

I'm new too, maybe a dozen shaves under my belt. All I can say is...the learning curve is short. You will improve a lot in the first bunch of shaves. And try different razors too. I bought a Merkur Progress adjustable right away so I can dial in the aggressiveness to learn what works for me. Also, use balm....I used to be just an aftershave guy, but your skin will love balm after wet shaving. Nivea stuff is great.

Top Bottom