What's new

First DE shave

Hi everyone,

been wet shaving with the supermarket stuff for the last 30 years and shaving was a real chore. So much so I only did it once per week.

Just received my new Merkur 34C razor and had my first DE shave. Awesome and no nicks. I used some Sommersets oil instead of cream and am waiting for some better cream. I hope the experience will be even better.

One question though. I only shaved with the grain. With the 300 blade Gillette razor I used to use I shaved in every which direction - with/across/against the grain. If I rub my hand up the side of my face (against the grain) it still feels rough. How do I improve?

Thanks

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Welcome to Badger and Blade, @hardlyshaves .

It takes about 20 times to learn how to shave with a DE razor well.

Other B and B members will give you more instruction.

Welcome aboard amigo.... :thumbup1: Do the same thing you have been doing with the carts, only no pressure and keep a consistent cutting angle on your passes. You'll be good as Gold.....

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hi everyone,

been wet shaving with the supermarket stuff for the last 30 years and shaving was a real chore. So much so I only did it once per week.

Just received my new Merkur 34C razor and had my first DE shave. Awesome and no nicks. I used some Sommersets oil instead of cream and am waiting for some better cream. I hope the experience will be even better.

One question though. I only shaved with the grain. With the 300 blade Gillette razor I used to use I shaved in every which direction - with/across/against the grain. If I rub my hand up the side of my face (against the grain) it still feels rough. How do I improve?
Welcome to B&B.
You have started of with a good razor. The majority of DE shavers employ a 3- pass shave, with the grain (WTG), across the grain (XTG) and against the grain (ATG). That gets a very close or even baby butt smooth shave (BBS) . The important thing to understand is progressive stubble reduction. Start with mapping your hair growth and try the 3 pass shave. If it feels tricky, settle for WTG, XTG and XTG reversed. Get a blade sampler so can find the best blade for you, Astra, GSB, Polsilver SI, Gillette 7 O'Clock sharp edge to name a few.
Also good preparation and lather is very important so work on these. The Shave Wiki at the top right of the page has some good guidance.
Have a look on Youtube for Mantic59 guides. There is a wealth of knowledge that will make the improvement easier for you. Enjoy your shaves.:001_smile

Welcome to the B&B forums. Time and patience will allow you to develop the techniques to shave with, across, and against the grain with comfort. The Merkur is a good razor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Read the stickies at the top of this forum, then watch the TouTube videos on shaving and building lather.

Welcome to B&B!

Your story sounds like mine, 30+ years of shaving with carts and twin disposables. I was down to once a week for the most part using my Dad's Schick Injector as the twins would clog up. Loved my first shave with the 34c and haven't looked back.

About your question. My Dad told me never shave against the grain unless you want to cause irritation and a blood bath and adhered to his advice all those years except once. You had to try it once at getting that close shave with the twin carts and he was right. Now since I started DE shaving and all this reading about a closer shave and tackling ATG sounded far fetched. I worked into it for over 6 months to achieve an ATG pass. I shaved WTG for a few shaves and then went to an across the grain pass and did that for a few months while gradually going more against the grain with each shave on a 3rd pass. The 8 to 10 months I have been more or less doing 2 passes with some touch ups. First pass WTG and the second pass of a slight across/against the grain pass and last I do touch ups ATG. Sometimes my second pass consists of a straight against the grain pass if I don't over do it with the touch ups I still have some scratch left but no irritation. Bad thing is a lot of times I don't know when to stop touching up and go for BBS and pay for it with irritation and sting when applying AS. But I will say I don't scrape and nick myself up like with the carts and especially the Injector. Although I am better with the Injector since I found this site as I transferred the heavy hand and pressure it took to shave with the twin blades and I always drew blood. Now I can shave with the Injector but since it seems so aggressive I still get a little irritation and a nick is rare but still happens.

Top Bottom