What's new

First DE Shave Today

It's a common theme - I don’t recall how I stumbled across this site, but I seem to be spending more and more time here lately (and yes, I read the Onion article about mustards!). My first purchase was the VDH “starter kit” a few weeks ago (with boar brush, bowl, and shea butter soap) for less than $10 at Walmart. I’ve been pleased with the lather, but continued to shave with a Sensor Excel while trying to decide on a DE.

Last week I watched several of mantic59’s youtube videos and continued to work on my lathering and (cartridge) shaving technique, but resisted the urge to drop $50 on a new Merkur. Then I found the Shaving Factory TTO at Razors Direct for $13 and the VDH glycerin soap for $3.50. (I’ve purchased Sensor Excel blades from Razors Direct for years; they have the lowest prices I’ve seen, and offer a free shipping option.) These items arrived with yesterday’s mail, and I picked up a 10-pack of Personnas last night for less than $2 at Walmart. I’m all-in at this point for less than 30 bucks.

I took the plunge today and used a DE for the first time, going two passes WTG on my face and neck, plus an XTG pass on my cheeks. Overall I’m pleased with the results. The cheeks are close to BBS, and although I could have gotten a little closer around my nose and lips, I wanted to take it slowly for the first week as I work on technique.

Like french press coffee, hoppy beer (think IPA), and “very dry, three gorgonzola cheese stuffed olive, shaken Bombay Sapphire martinis”, DE shaving has to be experienced first-hand. There’s nothing quite like warm lather (on the third pass, no less!) or the sound the blade makes as it cuts the hair.

Now if I could just decide on a good badger brush…

Now if I could just decide on a good badger brush…

Hi there.

I just started to Wet Shave this year and I went crazy buying badger brushes. If I could give you a modest advice , buy the Shavemac 177 you won't be dissapointed.:001_tt1:

PS: I have Simpson, Edwing Jagger, Kent, Rooney, Savile Row, Plisson

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Welcome and congrats on your bargain buy in!
Do yourself a favor, keep in the same spirit and buy a Tweezerman Badger brush. It's a dandy brush for the price, which is only about 15 bucks or so on Amazon.
It isn't the softest brush you can buy, but it is a very workable alternative to a cheapish Boar brush, and you can always upgrade later to a nicer one, and relegate the Tweezerman to the position of "travel brush".
Good luck, and keep us posted!

Like french press coffee, hoppy beer (think IPA), and “very dry, three gorgonzola cheese stuffed olive, shaken Bombay Sapphire martinis”, DE shaving has to be experienced first-hand. There’s nothing quite like warm lather (on the third pass, no less!) or the sound the blade makes as it cuts the hair.

I agree with all of this 100%, gin and tonics are also excellent with Bombay.

Like french press coffee, hoppy beer (think IPA), and “very dry, three gorgonzola cheese stuffed olive, shaken Bombay Sapphire martinis”, DE shaving has to be experienced first-hand. ....

good call
especially the IPA

Good luck with your AD's, and welcome. Despite your original bargain shopping, I predict that you'll soon find yourself wringing the last of the cobwebs from your wallet to buy more! more! more! :biggrin:

Do yourself a favor, keep in the same spirit and buy a Tweezerman Badger brush.

Great recommendation on the Tweezerman, luvmysuper! It arrived yesterday afternoon. Per mantic59's video, I soaked it in some Borax and hot water for a couple of minutes and gave it a thorough rinse, dried it, and used it today. Compared to the VDH boar brush, the badger is a bit softer, and I was able to create a richer lather in less time.

One question, tho - I don't have a brush stand (must...resist...AD), and the package specifically states, "To maintain shape, dry on side or upside down in a brush holder. Do not dry in upright position." Anyone have any issues with brushes losing their shape due to drying position?

You can bend a wire coat-hanger into a simple stand, or loop some string around the handle and hang it up.

I'm not quite sure what Tweezerman means with that recommendation, though. Badger brushes do change their shape: the process is called "bloom", and it's usually regarded as a positive development.

Top Bottom