What's new

First DE Shave questions

Hi all,

So today I shaved for the first time with a DE razor. I used a fat handled tech, feather blades and pacific company shaving cream. Things went very well but I had some questions about the equipment. The sides of the feather blade, the non sharp part seems to stick out on the tech. Is this typical? Also I couldn't get rid of the shaving cream on the blades that well. It kinda stayed there even though I would try to shake it off. Does that mean I should use more water, less of the shaving cream or both? Thanks.

Yep, you may have your cream a little bit dry if it's not coming off with some vigorous rinsing, but it's not a big deal. On some razors, I think most, the edges of the blade do stick out so you can easily lift it out to dispose of it.

There's a lot of variation as to how long a razor blade will last. For me, I can go a week with good blades like Feathers. Other guys can only get a few shaves out of them before they change. It depends on your beard and on how may passes you do with a razor. It will take some time before you develop a "feel" for how often you should change yours. If, after you put a new one in, you think "oh yes, much better," then you probably waited too long to change it.

Welcome to B&B! It only gets better!

Welcome! I don't think I would worry about the edges of the blade sticking out. I haven't seen a ton of de razors, but I just double checked... the non sharp edges of the blade stick out on my EJ89L.

Welcome to B&B!

Definitely don't worry about the sides of the blade sticking out. Your lather might be a little dry, but if it is working well for you it is worth the extra hassle it takes to rinse it off.

As for when to change blades . . . Feathers last forever for me. Then again, I only shave 2-3 times a week (slow growing beard and relaxed facial hair poicies at work = I shave when I want to). With Feathers, if you ever feel it pull. . . I mean AT ALL . . . it is time to change. That's how I work it, anyway, but this is totally an opion/YMMV thing.

The edges of the blade don't stick out of my futur but then again it's got huge head. :001_unsur

I typically get 2 shaves out of any blade but SWMBO reckons I have copper wire for stubble.

Yep, you may have your cream a little bit dry if it's not coming off with some vigorous rinsing, but it's not a big deal. On some razors, I think most, the edges of the blade do stick out so you can easily lift it out to dispose of it.

There's a lot of variation as to how long a razor blade will last. For me, I can go a week with good blades like Feathers. Other guys can only get a few shaves out of them before they change. It depends on your beard and on how may passes you do with a razor. It will take some time before you develop a "feel" for how often you should change yours. If, after you put a new one in, you think "oh yes, much better," then you probably waited too long to change it.

Welcome to B&B! It only gets better!

+1 In a very short time, this will all come so naturally to you that you won't even think about it. You will just know when it is time to change a blade or how the lather should behave. Like Vlad said, It only gets better!

So I've shaved about 4 times so far and getting better each time but I still don't know how often to replace the blades. I only shave once or twice a week and when i leave the blade out there are brown spots on the blade I believe is rust but I'm not sure. Whats the protocol after you're done shaving? Take the DE razor apart to clean and let the parts dry separately or clean and put back together to dry. I think this would help prevent my blades from getting brown spots. I use feathers btw if that helps.

Since you are new just use a blade for 3 shaves. They are cheap. This is what I do. Eventually ill get the idea of when to change blades.

So I've shaved about 4 times so far and getting better each time but I still don't know how often to replace the blades. I only shave once or twice a week and when i leave the blade out there are brown spots on the blade I believe is rust but I'm not sure. Whats the protocol after you're done shaving? Take the DE razor apart to clean and let the parts dry separately or clean and put back together to dry. I think this would help prevent my blades from getting brown spots. I use feathers btw if that helps.

Change blades every 4 shaves. Less if you want.

You could take the razor apart, if you want. You could dip it in alcohol when you are done.

I use a variety of blades and never get any rust. Must be your water. Some people like to use distilled water for shaving.

Welcome to B&B

Top Bottom