What's new

First DE shave in two days

The Merkur felt like it was dragging a bit, but I take it that some think Merkurs drag right out of the wrapper.

My next blade is the Feather. I wanted to work on technique before those.

The Merkur felt like it was dragging a bit, but I take it that some think Merkurs drag right out of the wrapper. My next blade is the Feather. I wanted to work on technique before those.
You are certain to get a wide variety of opinions on blade brands, but what is best for you is what works best FOR YOU. Some shavers hold certain opinions of brands, developed mostly, I hope, from experience using them. I heard terrible things about certain brand of blades (Merkur) on this and other forums, but I managed to try them out and was rewarded with some truly exceptional shaves. Some of the more 'favored' brands here gave my face fits, and so they werent the choice for me. As with many shaving items, YMMV....

It's been about a month now and the suggestions by others were dead on. My technique has improved dramatically. At first I had several nicks and a descent amount of razor burn. Once I learned to stop putting pressure on the razor my razor burn dropped off significantly. I have learned the grain of my face, what areas I can be more aggressive and what areas I need to back off.

Question: Is it all technique or is my skin adjusting (toughening up) to DE shaving?

Nick are part of the learning curve, don't give up if you don't like the first experience. Remember, there is no law about shaving, you can do WTG + XTG + ATG or WTG x 2 + XTG or North to South + East to West + West to East or whatever is comfortable for you.

@ChinMusic, I think skin adapts to some extent, but I think that factor is very minor compared to improved technique, and for practical purposes it is all technique.

Thinking of giving a straight razor a shot in the future. Anyone have an opinion on how long to stick with DE before taking the plunge.

Top Bottom