What's new

First DE shave in Nova Scotia

Well, MY first one and I felt the need to write.

First, I'm a recovering fountain pen addict and just as I was conquering that I ran into wet shaving. Totally the same problem.

I jumped into wet shaving about a month ago having watched some videos and thought it was a skill that was worth the effort. A little scary too, and that was strangely attractive, not being a high danger guy for most of my life.

I was probably reckless in stepping into straight razor shaving right off the bat. I bought a shavette kit as a test run and the first two shaves were a bit of an adventure. Still have a pretty good scar to show for them. I quickly ordered a Dovo Classic as a real SR and really found that to be a big improvement. Gradually I started to figure it out and can now get pretty well through a shave without a blood transfusion, although there is still room to improve with a straight.

My problem was the time that I was spending on my shaves and needed a way to get a quicker shave done when I didn't have the time for a SR. I realized that a DE was the next hardware on the list (and as a seasoned acquisition disorder pro, I was really in need of a list!) so ordered a Merkur 34C from one of the suppliers here in Canada (shout out to the Canadian Blade Company and to the Classic Edge). Also got some Stirling soap (Gin & Tonic - love the soap) and some samples. And an Omega S. And some containers for some other soaps that I have. Well, I had to get to the free shipping point, so a couple more things.... You know how the disorder works.

So tonight's shave was a pleasure. After a month learning SE shaving, this was a treat. Very happy that I jumped into the deep end first and still will go to SE for the challenge when I have the time and to the DE when I don't.

Plus this gives me a whole other line of hardware to chase...

I'm a recovering fountain pen addict as well, moved to watches, then to DE's, and now straights. I have a Merkur 34C as well. Have you looked into Japanese straights yet? My wife knows now that my "research" usually ends with "acquisitions". Glad to hear the shaves are working out.

I'm a recovering fountain pen addict as well, moved to watches, then to DE's, and now straights. I have a Merkur 34C as well. Have you looked into Japanese straights yet? My wife knows now that my "research" usually ends with "acquisitions". Glad to hear the shaves are working out.
I thought about watches but really heeded advice about staying away from them unless I was really ready to study the hell out of them. Too easy to get taken. Plus I don't wear a watch, although a truly addictive personality would simply start wearing a watch.

Shaving was something that I did when I wasn't sporting a beard, which was more because I didn't enjoy shaving (cartridge or electric). Without the beard I would shave every three or four days. Now shaving daily just because I enjoy it - the perfect ingredient for an addiction.

My wife knows now that my "research" usually ends with "acquisitions".

Oh no, they're onto us!

... staying away from them unless I was really ready to study the hell out of them.

I feel you there. Some AD topics just scream out to be investigated, watches are a little complex, shaving is not... or is it? It's just enough mechanics, chemistry, physiology and psychology to really suck you in. I've never been closer to full blown AD as in the last month.

I like that you're jumping in with your eyes wide open, good for you!

Top Bottom