What's new

First DE Shave in Long Time

Hi,
I've been reading B&B for a few weeks now. It has really gotten me interested in wet shaving, after decades of using electrics with an occasional disposable thrown in. Today I made my first DE shave in decades, probably since using a Gillette, well, I can't remember how long ago, but I do remember drawing some blood back then (maybe a too aggressive adjustable)?
I got an EJ Kelvin from Amazon that arrived yesterday. I've also ordered an Omega 10049, some Proraso and Cella soaps, and, perhaps most importantly, some Proraso syptic gel. They haven't arrived yet, but I couldn't wait, so after my shower this morning I filled the basin with hot water, put the included Derby blade in the basin, and rubbed on some Barbasol Beard Buster that I've had for several years, and went to it.
Fortunately, I have had experience with wet shaving and I did watch and read a lot of online info about wet shaving. Therefore, I had a bloodless first shave. I proceeded very carefully and did 3 passes. I finished with Nivea sensitive balm.
Most of my face feels very smooth. I missed a few places which seem a bit rougher: corners of the mouth, chin line, right under the nose. I was probably too careful with these because they seem to be the places where I've cut myself before (including lip). But all in all I'm impressed. I let the EJ do the work and it looks like it will be mild enough for a newbie to learn with. I can't wait for my brush and soaps to arrive (and won't be too concerned about the styptic now that I know I can do it unscathed)! Thanks to B&B for all the information.

Hi Gary: Welcome to B&B. Glad that you joined us. Post some pics of your new gear when it arrives. Here at B&B, we love to see pics.:thumbup:

WARHAWK

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hello Gary and welcome to B&B! Glad to hear about your good DE shave after so much time!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to B&B Gary. Congratulations on a successful shave. Be just as careful next time. Don't go crazy about the missed areas - just note them, as you have, and maybe pay a little closer attention to those areas next time. Pressure is not your friend.

Hello and welcome, Gary. Great to have you here. B&B is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers.

welcome to B&B! I would suggest picking up a blade sampler pack and seeing which blade works best for you, i thought derby worked well for my first shave before i tested astra sp, I still have several blades to test.

Greetings and welcome to B & B from someone else who is new to DE and brush shaving. It sounds like you are off to an excellent start at wet shaving.

i have been at it for just over a week now and all I can say is that I look forward to my shave every morning. Instead of a daily ordeal, shaving is now a real pleasure for me.

B & B is an awesome place with loads of friendly folks to help us ‘newbies’ along.

Thanks for your post and I hope you continue to enjoy wet shaving.

Gary,

Welcome to B&B and back to wet shaving. It'll take your skin a while to adapt to the new method, and your shaves will just keep getting better and better!

Top Bottom