What's new

First DE shave, feels good man

Hello gentlemen,

I had my first wet shave today. I had picked up one of the Van der Hagen badger brush/soap/mug kits a couple of months ago and I had been using it with my normal disposable Gillette three blade torture devices, but last week I sprung for a DE razor and some blades. I threw out my last disposable to "burn the boats", and waited a few days for the irritation and bumps on my neck to die down. In the meantime, I found this forum and voraciously read the attached wiki. I wish I had found it before making any purchases (more on that later), but better late than never and the instruction was very helpful; I had been misusing both the brush (by just running it under hot water rather than soaking it) and the soap (by leaving it in the mug and lathering on top of it rather than loading the brush and lathering in the mug) and without correcting these misconceptions I expect my first shave would had been worse.

The opportunity to take the plunge presented itself when I changed my oil after work this afternoon and needed to take a shower after. I followed the consensus technique from the many guides here of letting the brush soak during the shower. For the shave itself, I went pretty slow using as little pressure as I could and I did two WTG passes followed by a final pass where I shaved XTG for the chin and neck and ATG for the easy parts on the face. I'm very pleased with the results - a CCS that my wife really liked, no nicks, and for the first time that I can remember I have zero neck irritation. Consider me sold on wet shaving! I was also kind of surprised at how pronounced the difference was in the sound when shaving WTG vs XTG or ATG.

The only problem I had was that I had some trouble getting the right angle for the blade, especially around the curve of the neck. Is there a trick to this, or is it just something that comes with practice?

Wrt. equipment, I used my new Edwin Jagger DE89L with one of the Derby blades that it came with. I'm really pleased with the razor (it felt great in my hand and the chrome is fantastic, and I think the minimal blade exposure in the DE89 head is part of the reason I didn't cut myself when my angle was off), and the blades felt pretty good too - not very much tugging or skipping, and I figure that what tugging and skipping there was probably came about due to my deficient technique rather than due to the Derbies. I was very pleased with the Perfecto chrome razor and brush stand I picked up with the razor - it looks attractive, the knurling is nice, it's heavy and stable, and all in all the opposite of the useless acrylic stand the VDH kit shipped with (which I even had to glue together, as it came broken in the box and VDH's customer service never responded to my emails). The Van der Hagen badger brush was a little scritchy but serviceable; maybe I'll get a Parker chrome-handled silvertip brush in a few months to match my chrome razor and chrome stand, haha. I have no complaints about the VDH mug. The VDH soap seemed OK although I'll probably look into another brand when that puck runs out; Proraso and Col. Conk are on my radar - are there any companies that have sampler packs for soaps?

I bought a hundred pack of the Derby blades when I ordered the razor from Amazon because they were ten dollars and were rated highly there, but it seems like the most recommended course of action is to get a blade sampler pack and try out different types in a month or so once I've got the technique down reasonably well. Are there any particular brands that tend to work well with a mild razor like the DE89 that I should check out? I figure that $10 isn't too bad a sunk cost if I end up shaving better with some other DE blade.

Finally, if I had found this forum earlier I probably would have done a few things differently. I would have skipped the Van der Hagen kit entirely and picked up the CE BBB and some Col. Conk and just used a spare mug from the kitchen. I also would have bought a blade sampler rather than a hundred pack of Derby blades. With this in mind, I'll definitely send any friends interested in wet shaving here so they can read up before they pony up.

Congratulations!

As for the blade angle, it is a bit difficult to get it right at the awkward spots, but practice will tke you there.

Blade sampler pack is definitely a good idea.

Welcome aboard. I second Guru17's remarks. Practice and patience will result in better and better shaves.

Good luck in your new adventure.

Welcome to the B&B Forum 147_Grain! Congrats on your first DE shave. As others have already mentioned it's a learning process. The "correct" angle in which to hold your DE razor is a key factor in getting a close shave. Experiment and you'll find the perfect angle for your skin. Once you find the perfect angle consider buying a "sampler" pack of razor blades. Not every blade is perfect for everyone. We all have our favorite razor blades.

Again, congrats on your first DE shave!

As many have said its all in reputation. I have alot of weird angles I had to get used to since I also DE shave my head. So you can imagine trying to get the right shave angle doing an ATG pass on your head took me a month or more to get a BBS shave but now I'm like an old pro and getting faster all the time. Just take your time and "feel" for the right spot.

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum and you will learn a lot here.

Congrats on getting your first shave accomplished. It only gets better and better.

Welcome! A lot of us started with VDH, it was a fast way in and I am not a patient man, all that's left of it is the apothecary mug which is a great mug!

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start! Do try other blades, you may come back to Derby, or you may find something that you like much better. Some sampler packs are better than others, look for one that has some of the better received blades, Personna Med Preps, Polsilvers, Gillette 7 O'clock, Gillette Silver Blues, and of course Feathers are my personal favorites. I don't like Derbys, or perhaps they don't like me. A forum motto you may have seen- YMMV. Many here love the Derbys.

For soaps, Arko works great although some don't care for the scent. Mitchell's Wool Fat has a cult following here also - lots of interesting threads here on both of these soaps. I have and like both. I also have a puck of Van Der Hagen Luxury soap. A glycerin based soap, it gets the job done and has a following here too ;-). Another soap I like is RazoRock. There are so many soaps out there it's easy to get lost. My wife thinks I'm crazy with what I have already, but it's difficult to know what you like without a little experimentation. I do also have a tube of Proraso Green. Very cooling, I sometimes mix it in with a soap, sometimes straight up.

Welcome to B&B

Hey... VDH is not bad soap and "the kit" is not a bad deal for the price.... Don't worry, stick around and you will have one of everything before long

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Hello gentlemen,

I had my first wet shave today. I had picked up one of the Van der Hagen badger brush/soap/mug kits a couple of months ago and I had been using it with my normal disposable Gillette three blade torture devices, but last week I sprung for a DE razor and some blades. I threw out my last disposable to "burn the boats", and waited a few days for the irritation and bumps on my neck to die down. In the meantime, I found this forum and voraciously read the attached wiki. I wish I had found it before making any purchases (more on that later), but better late than never and the instruction was very helpful; I had been misusing both the brush (by just running it under hot water rather than soaking it) and the soap (by leaving it in the mug and lathering on top of it rather than loading the brush and lathering in the mug) and without correcting these misconceptions I expect my first shave would had been worse.

The opportunity to take the plunge presented itself when I changed my oil after work this afternoon and needed to take a shower after. I followed the consensus technique from the many guides here of letting the brush soak during the shower. For the shave itself, I went pretty slow using as little pressure as I could and I did two WTG passes followed by a final pass where I shaved XTG for the chin and neck and ATG for the easy parts on the face. I'm very pleased with the results - a CCS that my wife really liked, no nicks, and for the first time that I can remember I have zero neck irritation. Consider me sold on wet shaving! I was also kind of surprised at how pronounced the difference was in the sound when shaving WTG vs XTG or ATG.

The only problem I had was that I had some trouble getting the right angle for the blade, especially around the curve of the neck. Is there a trick to this, or is it just something that comes with practice?

Wrt. equipment, I used my new Edwin Jagger DE89L with one of the Derby blades that it came with. I'm really pleased with the razor (it felt great in my hand and the chrome is fantastic, and I think the minimal blade exposure in the DE89 head is part of the reason I didn't cut myself when my angle was off), and the blades felt pretty good too - not very much tugging or skipping, and I figure that what tugging and skipping there was probably came about due to my deficient technique rather than due to the Derbies. I was very pleased with the Perfecto chrome razor and brush stand I picked up with the razor - it looks attractive, the knurling is nice, it's heavy and stable, and all in all the opposite of the useless acrylic stand the VDH kit shipped with (which I even had to glue together, as it came broken in the box and VDH's customer service never responded to my emails). The Van der Hagen badger brush was a little scritchy but serviceable; maybe I'll get a Parker chrome-handled silvertip brush in a few months to match my chrome razor and chrome stand, haha. I have no complaints about the VDH mug. The VDH soap seemed OK although I'll probably look into another brand when that puck runs out; Proraso and Col. Conk are on my radar - are there any companies that have sampler packs for soaps?

I bought a hundred pack of the Derby blades when I ordered the razor from Amazon because they were ten dollars and were rated highly there, but it seems like the most recommended course of action is to get a blade sampler pack and try out different types in a month or so once I've got the technique down reasonably well. Are there any particular brands that tend to work well with a mild razor like the DE89 that I should check out? I figure that $10 isn't too bad a sunk cost if I end up shaving better with some other DE blade.

Finally, if I had found this forum earlier I probably would have done a few things differently. I would have skipped the Van der Hagen kit entirely and picked up the CE BBB and some Col. Conk and just used a spare mug from the kitchen. I also would have bought a blade sampler rather than a hundred pack of Derby blades. With this in mind, I'll definitely send any friends interested in wet shaving here so they can read up before they pony up.
For me Astras or Polsilvers are a sure shot blade for me.

Thanks for all the advice, gents! I've got a few more shaves under my belt. Results have remained pretty good, although I did give myself a nice nick the other day on a birthmark near my nose - was doing a touchup of the upper lip area after finishing my last pass, moved the blade in the direction parallel to the edge while positioning it, didn't feel the cut but boy did it bleed a lot! Almost made a mess of the whole bathroom while frantically searching for my styptic. To be fair I probably would have gotten three closely spaced cuts instead of one had I done the same with a cart.

I ordered a quick blade sample pack from tryablade, and for ten bucks including shipping I think I've got most of the normal bases covered - two each of Astra Super Platinums, Feathers, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless, Gillette Silver Blues, Gillette Super Platinums, Personna Med Preps, Personna Israeli Reds, Polsilvers and Wilkinson Swords. Maybe I should have thrown in Personna Lab Blues and Bics but I think that should suffice.

I picked up a sampler of soap scents from Mama Bear as well, hoping to find one that my wife likes, as well as a wooden bowl of her unscented soap to add to the rotation with the VDH puck that I have.

My plan is to keep going with the Derby blades for another three weeks or so until I'm reasonably confident in my technique, at which point I'll try out the blades in the sampler pack and see which works best for me. I'll probably keep a journal as well so I can make my judgement based on data rather than recollection. Then once I have a best blade I'll try to add an ATG pass and get a real BBS shave on the neck and chin. Does that all sound reasonable?

The Mama Bear soap package came in yesterday, so I tried the unscented puck this morning. I don't think I loaded the brush up enough but I got a decent lather (it's a pretty hard soap, so should I get more of the water out of the brush before loading up?).

I had a little skipping during the XTG pass - what deficiency in my technique is likely to cause that? I had a fresh Derby in the razor so I don't think blade dullness was the problem. The blade sampler pack I ordered is coming in Friday or thereabouts, I still think I'll wait a couple of weeks and continue refining my technique before I try to find a best blade though.

Against my better judgement I did a third pass ATG (the first time I've done it), but the results were quite good - I got one nick on the front of my chin at the very end, but this is the smoothest shave I can remember having. No stubble detectable by hand in the WTG or XTG directions anywhere, and just a little in the ATG direction in two patches under my chin. And the post-shave feel of my skin is great overall, I think the Mama Bear soap must be very moisturizing or something.

Top Bottom