What's new

First DE shave ever…generally horrible!

Between Dunshire, Sandpiper and Haverford, what would you guys go for, for a blind buy? I want to grab the soap, AS splash, AS balm and EdT, cuz I am super OCD like that 👍😝
I haven’t tried Dunshire but I do have both Haverford and sandpiper and they’re both excellent. I’m not a huge fan of the balms. They’re a little too thick for me

Here’s what I started with…it’s since grown immensely, and snow has since piled up on my deck…
View attachment 1555366
View attachment 1555374
If it’s not abundantly obvious, I am in Canada. My online resources are limited. Stirling doesn’t ship to Canada.

Between Dunshire, Sandpiper and Haverford, what would you guys go for, for a blind buy? I want to grab the soap, AS splash, AS balm and EdT, cuz I am super OCD like that 👍😝
…and my brush has since bloomed after it’s first use. No longer nearly as svelte looking 😝

Today marks 4 weeks exactly since my first DE related purchase. It’s been fun so far! And a real learning process.

I haven’t tried Dunshire but I do have both Haverford and sandpiper and they’re both excellent. I’m not a huge fan of the balms. They’re a little too thick for me
Interesting about the balms.

Between Dunshire, Sandpiper and Haverford, any or all worth a full tub, splash/balm/EDT full meal deal blind buy?

Interesting about the balms.

Between Dunshire, Sandpiper and Haverford, any or all worth a full tub, splash/balm/EDT full meal deal blind buy?
I really enjoy Sandpiper and Haverford so they would be what I’d get in a set. And if you really want to go all in think about getting a bar of the bath soap in sandpiper and Haverford

Here’s what I started with…it’s since grown immensely, and snow has since piled up on my deck…
View attachment 1555366
View attachment 1555374
If it’s not abundantly obvious, I am in Canada. My online resources are limited. Stirling doesn’t ship to Canada.

Where in Canada are you? Geez, I’m in Canada too and I had the air conditioning on a few days ago (Toronto.)

You can purchase Sterling soaps from West Coast Shaving that absolutely does ship to Canada. I have Deep Blue Sea, which is based on Bleu De Chanel (which I also have) and they absolutely nailed it! It’s fantastic and whips up the creamiest, most luxurious lather. Highly recommended. Next I’m going for Executive Man which is based on Creed Aventus.

Where in Canada are you? Geez, I’m in Canada too and I had the air conditioning on a few days ago (Toronto.)

You can purchase Sterling soaps from West Coast Shaving that absolutely does ship to Canada. I have Deep Blue Sea, which is based on Bleu De Chanel (which I also have) and they absolutely nailed it! It’s fantastic and whips up the creamiest, most luxurious lather. Highly recommended. Next I’m going for Executive Man which is based on Creed Aventus.
I’m a huge BdC fan. I actually have…a lot…of fragrances I managed to pickup over the years 😳 BdC is probably in my top 5. Top 10 for sure.

West Coast Shaving has next to no Stirling products at all ☹️ [edit: I stand corrected - their product offerings look quite good!!!] Maggard has lots but they charge for shipping to Canada and I have no idea what kind of customs and brokerage charges will accompany a shipment.

As for where in Canada I am…
24D5DB3C-AA2B-4CC1-A067-9909FECB0FEC.jpeg

Heading out tomorrow with my daughter, our fat bikes and our skis. We can decide what we’re doing when we get there. It went from plus 25 C to minus 25 C literally overnight. That was a few weeks ago. It’s been a train wreck ever since.
1D81A88F-8B67-44C3-BEB9-C395F190F8E4.jpeg

83B8391C-6931-4B9B-BACF-96D455BA8717.jpeg

Last edited:
Man those are beautiful pics!! You remind me I should visit my sister this winter!!

As everyone else has said the first DE shaves are a huge learning curve. I found marked improvements after about 1 month, then again at 6 months and then after a year of wet shaving. I tried so many razors in my first 6 months, changing up every shave and that didn't really work for me. I found sticking with the same razor for at least a week seemed to help me. Now I seem to stick with the same razor for 2 weeks to a month at a time.

For Stirling products I use a shop out of St Catherines Ontario, Top of the Chain. I usually get my products from them within 5-7 days but I am in the GTA and its free shipping for orders over $60 CDN. I have also used The Italian Barber out of Scarborough and Fendrihan.ca out of Hamilton with no issues.

Welcome to B&B!!! Its a great group of people, has tons of info and is pretty entertaining!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I’m a huge BdC fan. I actually have…a lot…of fragrances I managed to pickup over the years 😳 BdC is probably in my top 5. Top 10 for sure.

West Coast Shaving has next to no Stirling products at all ☹️ [edit: I stand corrected - their product offerings look quite good!!!] Maggard has lots but they charge for shipping to Canada and I have no idea what kind of customs and brokerage charges will accompany a shipment.

As for where in Canada I am…
View attachment 1555391
Heading out tomorrow with my daughter, our fat bikes and our skis. We can decide what we’re doing when we get there. It went from plus 25 C to minus 25 C literally overnight. That was a few weeks ago. It’s been a train wreck ever since.
View attachment 1555398
View attachment 1555399

Such beautiful pictures you shared, I freaking love them! I like to take pictures of my shaving hardware and software, and share with the forum. So you've seen all my Stirling soaps. At one point you asked about aftershave balms, Duke Cannon Ice Aftershave Balm became an instant favorite for me! Yes they can be thick, thats kind of the point. They are not there just to make ya smell good, they provide an all important function, to heal and sooth your face. Especially important if you caused yourself any skin irritation, nicks, or weepers.

This is a picture of my aftershave shelf, its got a mix of aftershave splashes and aftershave balms on it, plus a couple of those crazy star jellies lol.

proxy.php

Here is a most recent picture of my blades collection. Just keep in mind, I got 250 more of those Wizamets under my sink, so I am well stocked on those!

proxy.php

And these are pictures of some of my razors, (I do have more!) that are on my razor and brush stand, but that is all my brushes that I have though. Stand is hand made from an artist on Etsy.

proxy.php
proxy.php

PAA Ice Cube 2.0 Pre-Shave with cube dock, was the most recent addition to the brush stand!

proxy.php

I've been a traditional wet shaver for about 8-months now. I concur with other's like the amazing Balin, that wet shaving does become easier after your first month in. Then as you try out other razors, some will force you to learn newer technique even still, to further your experience. Once your 8-months into this hobby, you will probably have a dozen razors, and continue chasing after that RAD, while you add more software to appease the AD. HEHE

I so agree with you, this is such a fun an amazing hobby, I freaking love it! 😍 And you know what else I love? See these amazing posts and pictures from a newcomer such as yourself. Way to go in getting the flow of things quite quickly, your pretty awesome! 😁

Such beautiful pictures you shared, I freaking love them! I like to take pictures of my shaving hardware and software, and share with the forum. So you've seen all my Stirling soaps. At one point you asked about aftershave balms, Duke Cannon Ice Aftershave Balm became an instant favorite for me! Yes they can be thick, thats kind of the point. They are not there just to make ya smell good, they provide an all important function, to heal and sooth your face. Especially important if you caused yourself any skin irritation, nicks, or weepers.

This is a picture of my aftershave shelf, its got a mix of aftershave splashes and aftershave balms on it, plus a couple of those crazy star jellies lol.

proxy.php

Here is a most recent picture of my blades collection. Just keep in mind, I got 250 more of those Wizamets under my sink, so I am well stocked on those!

proxy.php

And these are pictures of some of my razors, (I do have more!) that are on my razor and brush stand, but that is all my brushes that I have though. Stand is hand made from an artist on Etsy.

proxy.php
proxy.php

PAA Ice Cube 2.0 Pre-Shave with cube dock, was the most recent addition to the brush stand!

proxy.php

I've been a traditional wet shaver for about 8-months now. I concur with other's like the amazing Balin, that wet shaving does become easier after your first month in. Then as you try out other razors, some will force you to learn newer technique even still, to further your experience. Once your 8-months into this hobby, you will probably have a dozen razors, and continue chasing after that RAD, while you add more software to appease the AD. HEHE

I so agree with you, this is such a fun an amazing hobby, I freaking love it! 😍 And you know what else I love? See these amazing posts and pictures from a newcomer such as yourself. Way to go in getting the flow of things quite quickly, your pretty awesome! 😁
I have read a number of your reviews. More than once. They are all incredibly enlightening. It’s a privilege to cross paths with you in this thread. It’s a privilege to cross paths with all of you. It’s awesome to be able to make a few new connections, and learn from people like you - people who are the most informed, least biased and maybe most importantly, people who are approachable and accessible! All this info…right in one spot. We live in good times.

@Balin and @Cranky James - very nice to cross paths with some Canadian brothers.

I see a number of forum members who appear to be vets. I thought of all of you yesterday. Respect.

Wishing all of you an absolutely incredible remainder of the weekend, from wherever you may hail.

Still deliberating over my overflowing carts. Lol!!! My gf and daughter are not too happy with me. They say I do this every year - go out and buy a whack of stuff right before Christmas and leave them empty handed for gifts. Bahahaha!

I have read a number of your reviews. More than once. They are all incredibly enlightening. It’s a privilege to cross paths with you in this thread. It’s a privilege to cross paths with all of you. It’s awesome to be able to make a few new connections, and learn from people like you - people who are the most informed, least biased and maybe most importantly, people who are approachable and accessible! All this info…right in one spot. We live in good times.

@Balin and @Cranky James - very nice to cross paths with some Canadian brothers.

I see a number of forum members who appear to be vets. I thought of all of you yesterday. Respect.

Wishing all of you an absolutely incredible remainder of the weekend, from wherever you may hail.

Still deliberating over my overflowing carts. Lol!!! My gf and daughter are not too happy with me. They say I do this every year - go out and buy a whack of stuff right before Christmas and leave them empty handed for gifts. Bahahaha!
Have your fun (as we all had) and then check in here ;)

It’s not only buying that gives satisfaction but using as well.

Man those are beautiful pics!! You remind me I should visit my sister this winter!!

As everyone else has said the first DE shaves are a huge learning curve. I found marked improvements after about 1 month, then again at 6 months and then after a year of wet shaving. I tried so many razors in my first 6 months, changing up every shave and that didn't really work for me. I found sticking with the same razor for at least a week seemed to help me. Now I seem to stick with the same razor for 2 weeks to a month at a time.

For Stirling products I use a shop out of St Catherines Ontario, Top of the Chain. I usually get my products from them within 5-7 days but I am in the GTA and its free shipping for orders over $60 CDN. I have also used The Italian Barber out of Scarborough and Fendrihan.ca out of Hamilton with no issues.

Welcome to B&B!!! Its a great group of people, has tons of info and is pretty entertaining!
Thank you so much for the shop selections. Super appreciated. In fact, ToC has the heaviest cart right now. Lol! I have 4 brushes in the Italian Barber cart, but nothing more. I had some soaps and aftershaves in it too, but dumped the RazoRock offerings in favour of the Stirling products from ToC. Is there anything from IB soap-wise you would recommend for a rookie just starting off? Or brushes or other things? I know - it’s a loaded question.

Mature Gents is another place I came across.

Might I also add Kent of Inglewood to your list? They are a local shop. 4 weeks ago my daughter bought me all those nice products in the photo above from them. We had a nice day out together. I have since got to know some of the people there. Let me say this - while they may or may not have the exact products that some forum members here lust after (and maybe they do) the people there are absolute gold. The level of customer service is 10/10. They make in person purchases fun, and a total positive experience. And it feels good to buy local as well. I plan on buying a lot from them - both in person and online.

Last edited:
Have your fun (as we all had) and then check in here ;)

It’s not only buying that gives satisfaction but using as well.
Hahaha! Interesting thread. Restraint. What a concept. If I had even a tiny portion of what @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker has, I’d be in a better position to join in. Unfortunately (or fortunately 😝) I am already disqualified, having made some November purchases. Maybe next time. Or not 😂

I did a deep dive into Stirling soaps, scents, brushes, Dopp kits, bowls and lots of other stuff. Sweet mother of Jesus. What a gopher hole that’s been. Not sure I’m any closer to placing an order, but I sure do have an outrageous amount in my cart at the moment. Just about to pull the trigger.

Do you guys know whether Stirling stuff goes on sale for Black Friday?
Sometimes they do have sales, not sure about Black Friday in particular.

Try to remember one puck of shaving soap may last five or six months. If you have ten soaps, that's going to take five years or so to finish.

Slight correction. 🙂. Italian Barber is in East York. I’m quite literally within walking distance of it. It’s too bad they don’t sell Stirling.

Try a tub of Italian Barber RazoRock Plague Doctor soap. I'm a fan of Stirling and Captain's Choice soaps and scents, but when I shave late at night or after too many G&T's, Plague Doctor is my go-to soap. It's got a forgettable, soapy scent, but it's easy to lather (using any brush) and performance is top notch. The label is also cool. I initially bought a tub as a joke, then stocked up when I realized how good it performed.

Other than the label, I'm not a fan of the Plague Doctor aftershave.

Try a tub of Italian Barber RazoRock Plague Doctor soap. I'm a fan of Stirling and Captain's Choice soaps and scents, but when I shave late at night or after too many G&T's, Plague Doctor is my go-to soap. It's got a forgettable, soapy scent, but it's easy to lather (using any brush) and performance is top notch. The label is also cool. I initially bought a tub as a joke, then stocked up when I realized how good it performed.

Other than the label, I'm not a fan of the Plague Doctor aftershave.
Awesome. Thank you. I see the need for some Plague Doctor In my very near future 🍷🍺🍹

Another question if I may…

How important is it to be all matchy matchy with the shave products? Or does it depend on the scent strength of each particular one? Maybe I don’t need to be so OCD about things. Mixing and matching might be perfectly fine. Not sure.

Sometimes they do have sales, not sure about Black Friday in particular.

Try to remember one puck of shaving soap may last five or six months. If you have ten soaps, that's going to take five years or so to finish.
This is a very good point that I had failed to appreciate. Then again, I can always PIF whatever I’m not totally in love with. I’m going to pick one Stirling fragrance, go all in on it with it - AS etc, and get samples only of others I am interested in. Hopefully that strikes a good middle ground on being able to try different scents, and not need a new house to store them (or a loan 😝).

How important is it to be all matchy matchy with the shave products? Or does it depend on the scent strength of each particular one? Maybe I don’t need to be so OCD about things. Mixing and matching might be perfectly fine. Not sure.

I was into matchy, matchy when I first started, but soon gave up on that. Being retired, the majority of the time I just splash on a couple handfuls of Dickinson's Witch Hazel. If I shave earlier in the day, I splash on CC Bay Rum, Co9T, or Ogallala Bay Rum, after the witch hazel. I favor BR aftershaves, and they don't last long anyway.

Top Bottom