What's new

First DE shave ever…generally horrible!

I think for most people the first time they use a DE they don’t get a good shave. I know that was the case for me. Within a couple of weeks I was getting better at it and by the end of the first month I was getting noticeably better shaves. It takes time and patience to start getting good results but well worth the effort

I think for most people the first time they use a DE they don’t get a good shave. I know that was the case for me. Within a couple of weeks I was getting better at it and by the end of the first month I was getting noticeably better shaves. It takes time and patience to start getting good results but well worth the effort
For me this was true because I had to unlearn bad habits that came from years of using cartridge razors.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Looks like you have a good kit. You'll get a regimen down eventually...that will help you achieve consistent results. Wonderful that your shave produced no nicks or cuts.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
On the razor blade advice, I removed it last evening, cleaned it and dried it off. I did the same with the razor. I put the blade back in the razor this morning after everything was bone dry. I thought I had read that there was a risk of rust and/discolouration from the cheap blades, if left in the razor. Or was it from one of the 1,000 YouTube videos I watched (3 times each)…😝
I don't touch the blade until I have to - the darn thing is sharp! I give the razor a good blast of water from the tap and dry the outside of the razor, trying to avoid wiping the blade edges. I have never had a blade rust. I believe that was a problem back in the day, but I've used a great many different blades and no rust whatsoever.

YouTube can be helpful, but remember that there is no requirement for expertise before you post, so some things might need to be taken with a grain of sand.

I don't touch the blade until I have to - the darn thing is sharp! I give the razor a good blast of water from the tap and dry the outside of the razor, trying to avoid wiping the blade edges. I have never had a blade rust. I believe that was a problem back in the day, but I've used a great many different blades and no rust whatsoever.

YouTube can be helpful, but remember that there is no requirement for expertise before you post, so some things might need to be taken with a grain of sand.
Fantastic. Thank you.

I’m going to reread this thread to to bottom before my next foray this evening 👍

I wouldn't shave my head no matter how bald I was; I'd simply cut it like the first day of boot camp with electric clippers. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Isn’t so much the rust on blade as it it caked on cream or soap that might cause issues. Wipe clean and hit it with hair dryer after you reassemble. Might want to start with a mild razor until you get the hang of it. Let the blade do the work, zero pressure applied and never make a pass unless it has lather on path. Angles and direction of path will become muscle memory in the future. Will be like breathing, won’t even have to think about it. Unless you have a great memory take notes on what passes give you the most irritation. Initial pass I do north to south which is with the grain on me. Second pass do ears to chin, and chest to chin on neck. Final pass is south to north on face and ears to Adam’s apple on neck with a slight downward angle. A true east to west yields nothing but blood and bumps on me. Just take your time, guarantee your efforts will be worth it in the end

I shave the melon myself, and kudos to you for making your first time with a de razor. I still rely on my fusion proglide (or whatever they call it today) for head shaving.

I have still to find a de razor handle that’s easy enough for me to grip for a head shave. I recently purchased The Twig and it seems like it would be the perfect tool, except for the fact that it’s easy to accidentally twist it open! I have to be careful about this while face shaving but aside from that issue it’s a great razor. Your grip naturally changes frequently while shaving the head so I’m going to wait for a (hopefully) upgrade to the twig that locks the opening mechanism in the handle.

Nothing like a freshly shaved noggin to start the week!

I shave the melon myself, and kudos to you for making your first time with a de razor. I still rely on my fusion proglide (or whatever they call it today) for head shaving.

I have still to find a de razor handle that’s easy enough for me to grip for a head shave. I recently purchased The Twig and it seems like it would be the perfect tool, except for the fact that it’s easy to accidentally twist it open! I have to be careful about this while face shaving but aside from that issue it’s a great razor. Your grip naturally changes frequently while shaving the head so I’m going to wait for a (hopefully) upgrade to the twig that locks the opening mechanism in the handle.

Nothing like a freshly shaved noggin to start the week!
I started out with the 1 plate for the 6S. I immediately switched to the 3 plate. I can’t blame that razor - it performed like a champion. I used a generic blade that came with it (not a Rockwell blade, which is likely even worse). I will try it next using the 3 plate again and a feather blade.

I did a deep dive into Stirling soaps, scents, brushes, Dopp kits, bowls and lots of other stuff. Sweet mother of Jesus. What a gopher hole that’s been. Not sure I’m any closer to placing an order, but I sure do have an outrageous amount in my cart at the moment. Just about to pull the trigger.

Do you guys know whether Stirling stuff goes on sale for Black Friday?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
What a gopher hole that’s been.

I think you mean...

Rabbit Hole Neon GIF by Sensi Magazine

Because this is where we all end up. But you wanna know what? Most of us are proud of it. Because it's a safe hobby to be in. And while removing whiskers is the end result, the most important thing, is to just have fun. 😎

I sure do have an outrageous amount in my cart at the moment. Just about to pull the trigger.

Ohhhhh, but you will hit your submit button, because you know it's rude to keep those happy little items locked up in your kart. No self respecting person would do that! So click that submit button, theres no reason not to. Happiness is just around the corner my friend.

Do you guys know whether Stirling stuff goes on sale for Black Friday?

Stirling does have clearance items for sale each month. There should be a clearance section you can find from site menu. I'm a huge Stirling fan!

proxy.php

I started out with the 1 plate for the 6S. I immediately switched to the 3 plate. I can’t blame that razor - it performed like a champion. I used a generic blade that came with it (not a Rockwell blade, which is likely even worse). I will try it next using the 3 plate again and a feather blade.
The Feather is unforgiving. I would suggest something more middle down the road. Astra Blue or green, Personna Platinum, Treet Platinum.

I think you mean...

Rabbit Hole Neon GIF by Sensi Magazine

Because this is where we all end up. But you wanna know what? Most of us are proud of it. Because it's a safe hobby to be in. And while removing whiskers is the end result, the most important thing, is to just have fun. 😎

Ohhhhh, but you will hit your submit button, because you know it's rude to keep those happy little items locked up in your kart. No self respecting person would do that! So click that submit button, theres no reason not to. Happiness is just around the corner my friend.

Stirling does have clearance items for sale each month. There should be a clearance section you can find from site menu. I'm a huge Stirling fan!

proxy.php
There isn’t a Private Message option in this forum, is there? I don’t see one. If there were, I was going to send you screen shots of my cart and see what you think…if you don’t mind. I can’t figure out how to post pics on here either. If I could, I would post them in this thread. I need to try to find a link with some instructions. Ugh.

Anyway, researching the Stirling scents, on its own, has provided hours and hours of great entertainment this cold, dark, snowy, long weekend. Discovering this new, previously unbeknownst world, has been an absolute blast. My GF is totally dialled as well. Tonight we ventured out to a few places to check out the scents upon which some of the Stirling soaps are based. I have my letter to Santa partially drafted in my mind…

Here’s what I started with…it’s since grown immensely, and snow has since piled up on my deck…
CF05C017-66C9-4DC2-9F99-33B43B3BF0CF.jpeg

6A3A412E-B33B-4D6D-9721-4B14B68D80F5.jpeg

If it’s not abundantly obvious, I am in Canada. My online resources are limited. Stirling doesn’t ship to Canada.

Between Dunshire, Sandpiper and Haverford, what would you guys go for, for a blind buy? I want to grab the soap, AS splash, AS balm and EdT, cuz I am super OCD like that 👍😝

Last edited:
There isn’t a Private Message option in this forum, is there? I don’t see one. If there were, I was going to send you screen shots of my cart and see what you think…if you don’t mind. I can’t figure out how to post pics on here either. If I could, I would post them in this thread. I need to try to find a link with some instructions. Ugh.

Anyway, researching the Stirling scents, on its own, has provided hours and hours of great entertainment this cold, dark, snowy, long weekend. Discovering this new, previously unbeknownst world, has been an absolute blast. My GF is totally dialled as well. Tonight we ventured out to a few places to check out the scents upon which some of the Stirling soaps are based. I have my letter to Santa partially drafted in my mind…
PM‘s need a minimum (20?) of posts so you will be fine. Adding pics works via this button.

F8AA98A0-7589-4857-9A1E-5CF3D138550F.jpeg

Top Bottom