What's new

First DE Shave - Check

The anticipation had been building for a couple if days. Got my Merkur 33 on Wednesday afternoon. Finally worked up the nerve to go this morning. At 56 I don't know why I would want to learn a new trick, but I have enjoyed my brush and ever growing soap collection so much I figured, what the heck!

Showered and preceded to soak my brand new Semogue OC bristle brush (in hindsight this may have been a mistake). Installed a rather massive slathering of Proraso pre-shave (which I love). Began to load up some Tabac. The lathering went south quickly. Too much water, going back for more product, dropped my bowl...good lord. Finally got the face lathered up and began.

Had watched video, checked angles, did more prep than most ordinary guys who may tend to throw caution to the wind. Once I got started I was surprised and pleased with the tactile feedback that came with strokes that were apparently angled well. Enough detail - cutting to the chase. Two passes was all I had the stomach to tackle. Shave was fine with one small weeper that sealed itself. Have I had better shaves with my trusty Fusion? Yes. As much satisfaction? No.

I will assume I can expect less hairs to be left behind. Call it stubbornness or call it what you want, but I will be striving for two-pass perfection. We'll see. In the meantime, I will be shaving again tomorrow. Question. Even though my face feels burn free, do I go at it again with the Merkur tomorrow or should I let my face rest with the Fusion? Dumb question? Or should I go without shaving? Worrying too much?

Thanks all for getting me this far? I feel strangely exhilarated and I haven't even had my coffee!

Congratulations on your first shave. Don't worry, it will improve as you sort things out and develop your technique.

Your technique will improve, so no need to go back to Fusion tomorrow. My first DE shave I had so many weepers my neck looked like raw hamburger! Keep at it, and congrats on making the switch.

Welcome and congratulations! It's a ton of fun. And things get substantially better in the first few weeks to months.

Thanks all. It felt pretty darn good overall and ten hours later...my face feels just find. Glad to be here.

I had the same apprehension when I started out with the open comb razor. My first go with an O/C unfortunately was the Senator which is a we bit agressive to say the least. Sold it. Then I went to a Sheraton and by comparison was a blissful shave. I thoughly enjoyed it as did the couple 34' Aristocrats that came through my hands. I just shaved with a 1920's NEW which I to enjoyed and like you left it at a two pass shave. Nothing spectacular, but was ok. Finished with a rocket. As much as I like the theory of o/c I find that for some reason does not agree wth my skin in how it cuts. Wierd I know. Anyway, Congrats tbrim, it's going to get a little better everyday.

+3
Im 54 converted about a month ago. I guess its the thing to do for those that cant afford a new sports car. Congrats & welcome. Throw out the Fusion & never look back.

Straight razor? Ummm, no.
:lol:

Ha! I'm debating whether or not to take that plunge myself. I'm 52 and just started DE shaving this past July. I'm hooked, hooked, hooked. This is a great hobby and I wholeheartedly encourage you to hang in there. The shaves will get better and I bet you'll want to start looking at other razors, creams, aftershaves, etc. On top of all the fun, your face just feels so much better. It's a win all around.

:lol:

Ha! I'm debating whether or not to take that plunge myself. I'm 52 and just started DE shaving this past July. I'm hooked, hooked, hooked. This is a great hobby and I wholeheartedly encourage you to hang in there. The shaves will get better and I bet you'll want to start looking at other razors, creams, aftershaves, etc. On top of all the fun, your face just feels so much better. It's a win all around.

Three soaps and two creams in about a month. Oh, and my second brush. The wife says stop until after Xmas. Oh well...

Yes. It's just shaving. You've been doing it for years. Relax and don't over-think things.

I have to completely agree with you. I think many guys getting into traditional shaving today have a tendency to way overcomplicate things. What would their fathers and grandfathers think?

I have to completely agree with you. I think many guys getting into traditional shaving today have a tendency to way overcomplicate things. What would their fathers and grandfathers think?

They'd be happy they didn't have so many razors, soaps and brushes to choose from...

Top Bottom