What's new

First DE Safety Razor Shave

Yesterday morning I ordered my first safety razor and blades from Amazon. It's a Bali three piece screw assembly.

I had it shipped home [Dad's home] instead of base because I'm on leave this week and I'll be shoving off soon.

The razor is the Baili Eco classic. The blades are shark stainless.

I also purchased a bottle of Clubman shave oil.

I didn't shave this morning and it was almost 8 PM by the time I did my test drive.

Okay it took me a few Stokes to get the angle right.

It's not that much different from using a cartridge razor other than I needed to take shorter strokes. It doesn't hug your face like a pivoting razor does.

I got two nicks. The first was on the edge of the cleft of my chin and the other one was on the mole on my neck which I slices quite nicely and it bled quite a bit.

On did a three pass shave and my face was pretty much baby butt smooth.

The first nick had quit bleeding by the time I finished my first pass, but the sliced Mole required me to apply pressure and give it a triple coat of new skin.

No more nicks on the second or third passes, but I kept my thumb on the mole.

Cheap disposables also tend to take a chunk of that self same mole.

Now here is the real and the big difference.

I finished off the shave with a splash of Aqua Velva. OMG! Aqua Velva normally gives me a warm tingle with my bulldog razor.

This string was Home Alone severe. It felt like I doused my my face in kerosene and lit a match and it persisted a few minutes.

So there it is. It wasn't terrible. It wasn't great either.

If I made any newbie mistakes let me know. Does aftershave usually sting like I shaved my head in a nest of wasps?

Sounds like a decent first shave, especially if you achieved near BBS. Ymmv with the blades, so they could be a bit harsh for your skin. I'm not familiar with those blades. Also, your technique isn't going to be perfect yet, so your angle may be off on certain parts of your face causing some irritation. Try a 2 pass shave next time and see where you're at. With most razors for me, a 3 pass is too much and causes a lot of irritation. I prefer an efficient razor with 2 passes and maybe some clean up. Depending on the AS, you will usually get some burn. If I have a "rough" shave, it seems to burn like hell. Somone more knowledgeable will need to chime in on that though. How is your prep? And what kind of cream/soap/gel are you using?

As for getting cut, it could be technique or the blades. I don't have any moles or skin tags to worry about, so I can't help in that category, but I have chopped off the head of a pimple once on my chin. Bled like hell! And some brands of blades just leave me with nicks all over my face.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It's a good start. We have just about all started the same. I would try a blade sampler pack and see what blades work for you. Some blades will and some blades won't. I would not change too much to start with until you improve your technique. Keep it up and keep us informed of your progress. You could start a journal or diary in the Journal and Diary sub forum in the General Shaving Forum.

You might try some hemp oil or coconut oil after (or even before) the shave (couple drops on wet hands and face) and let it soak in, then the aftershave.

Congrats!

Welcome to the hobby! The most important thing is to avoid putting pressure when shaving. It's the biggest difference coming from a cartridge razor. Most of the DE blades are much sharper than your average cartridge razor.
Shark Stainless are pretty mild but maybe something along the lines of a Voskhod would be more suitable for a start.

I found I like many blades better on the second and third shaves. A non-alcoholic shaving balm works very well for me. No burn or splash, but some enjoy that. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to B&B.
It's not that much different from using a cartridge razor other than I needed to take shorter strokes. It doesn't hug your face like a pivoting razor does.

I got two nicks. The first was on the edge of the cleft of my chin and the other one was on the mole on my neck which I slices quite nicely and it bled quite a bit.
It is different from a cartridge razor as you use much less pressure and the blade angle has to be set by the user; the handle should be nearer to 45 degrees. Here is a link to the Wiki: Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
Nicks are usually caused by too much pressure and/or wrong blade angle. Keep persevering though and your shaves will improve.

I would start with a 1 pass shave, and only add passes once you are comfortable with that. Chasing BBS with a 3 pass shave can certainly be done, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone trying wet shaving for the first time.

Minimal pressure, maintain a good angle (start with the cap on your face and the handle parallel to the floor, then lower the handle end until it starts to cut and use that), and see how that goes.

Eventually, you can try different blades/razors, but good technique always helps.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Pressure.

Start with Zero. continue with zero, end with zero.

Let the shave come to you rather than you to the shave. Good shaves will follow good technique. Trying to force it will only end up with you being disappointed.

Good technique takes a while.

Thanks for all the advice. Mon think the pressure was the thing. I've just been doing one pass.

Also, today I shaved all but a soul patch which is technically not permissible as I'm to maintain regulations on personal appearance even while on leave and s soul patch is definitely non-regulation.

But I'm throwing caution to the wind this week on the hope that I will not tonight across any CPOs, which is a hope with a NM promise as I'm the only active duty Navy personnel in my hometown. I think.

But the advice on pressure was premo. Thanks,

Bryce D Johnson,
Pettiest Officer Third Class

Be careful with some of those Baili razors, a few of them are crazy aggressive. I gave one to my dad because it just looked ridiculous. He used it once and said it was too aggresive.

Top Bottom