What's new

First DE Safety Razor Shave - Terrific!

I decided about a week ago to finally go ahead and after all these years to get a DE Safety Razor. A friend just got one extolling the inexpensive nature of the blades versus the traditional Gillette Mach3. Since I shave every day that really gets expensive, even when I buy the bulk lots at Costco. So, I went on Amazon, picked out a couple of items, a Parker 96R long handle razor (love the butterfly opening!), some soap from the Mens Soap Co., a bowl, and a box of extra blades (forget the type at the moment). It all arrived yesterday, which I immediately spent 2-3 hours watching youtube videos of guys shaving. My wife was laughing at me for a while, but she was behind this all the way, even actively looking to replace my fathers old brush before I even had put a blade in the razor.

Now, I've been shaving with a blade for close to 30 years. I've used electric maybe less than 20 times in my life (I do have one, just in case) and I was pleasantly surprised how natural the razor felt this morning. Against advise of one Youtube reviewer, I decided to do a triple pass, lathering up each time. My one trouble area (which seems to have sprouted up only recently, or perhaps I've gotten pickier?) was basically eliminated. No cuts, no razor burn, nothing but a smooth clean shave. I can definitely see the need for an aftershave though (the missus already ordered me some) and used some witch hazel the wife had. I've had a barber give me a straight razor shave before and I was not impressed. This safety razor was very relaxing, calming and therapeutic, and probably the best shave I've ever gotten in my life.

Next week a new brush, stand, and some pre-shave come. I think I'm in trouble!

This is one of the more positive stories I have seen on here from a new guy. Most come on and tell us how horrible everything is going and wanting us to help them fix it. While that is good and what we are all here for it is refreshing to read about a positive start. Congrats and welcome aboard.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Congrats on a successful first shave! I started with a Parker 71R, which sports a very similar long handle to your 96R. I still use the handle on occasion to this day, though the head (different than your butterfly) just wasn't aggressive enough for my needs. Wishing you the same success for many shaves to come. Welcome to B&B!

Last edited:
Wow... Nice, you nailed it at first try... I'm jealous, LOL, congrats and welcome to the wet shaving world and to the best forum for learning more about wet shaving.

Glad you have come to the light! Just be careful man. This "inexpensive" can develop into a razor/soap/aftershave acquisition disorder ;)

Your friendly neighborhood BambulanceMan

Welcome to Badger and Blade @Brian Anderson and congratulations on a enjoyable first shave.

When you have a moment drop in at the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself. I hope you are able to keep to your plan of less expensive shaving...many others have failed, myself included. :surrender:

Heh, "new guy" He's been a member for 5 years!

I decided about a week ago to finally go ahead and after all these years to get a DE Safety Razor.

For as long ago as you joined B&B, were you not curious about this stuff sooner? Or was it one of those things that sort of lost momentum and you're just coming back to it?
Haha, as far as I'm concerned, reading through this site makes it darn near impossible to not want to try all the things.

Congratulations.
The enthusiasm from your wife is wonderful to hear about as well, but be careful. As a point of full disclosure: soon you may be reminding yourself of the money your saving to feed multiple AD variations; you may take more time to get ready in the morning than anyone else in the house; you may, like urban sprawl, take over the bathroom; and leave yourself open to commentary about what your level of patience would be/had been with her time spent facebooking, etc (e.g. "How many shave videos have you watched today? All I see are pictures of razors, do you have any of the kids on your phone?")
Or maybe that's just me.
Good luck And welcome from another fairly new guy.☺

Heh, "new guy" He's been a member for 5 years!

For as long ago as you joined B&B, were you not curious about this stuff sooner? Or was it one of those things that sort of lost momentum and you're just coming back to it?
Haha, as far as I'm concerned, reading through this site makes it darn near impossible to not want to try all the things.

Well, I've had my father's shaving brush on my desk all this time. Coming from the fountain pen world, I knew this would be a slippery slope. My wife and I had been looking at new brushes just a couple of weeks ago, then when my friend showed me his and told me how inexpensive (in theory) it is, it kind of made me sick how much I was dumping into an inferior shave. The best part for me was, it really didn't take all that much more time to do a three pass than it would have with the Mach3.

Glad you have come to the light! Just be careful man. This "inexpensive" can develop into a razor/soap/aftershave acquisition disorder ;)

Your friendly neighborhood BambulanceMan

I swear I recall seeing a couple old safety razors either from my dad's estate or something someone picked up at an antique store. I couldn't find them to save my life though. lol

That's great that your wife is supportive of it. Makes things easier!
I like having mine help me pick out aftershaves. She does it with a smile, but she thinks I'm nuts.

Welcome, Brian. Yes, you are in trouble, sir! Congratulations on an excellent first shave. Remember to always use a light touch, and continue to re-lather with each pass. Very nice that your wife supports your efforts to get the best shaves ever. Enjoy your shaves! :001_smile

Welcome to the DE shaving world and an excellent result on your first DE shave. The preparation is the same for cartridge blades but the shaves are better I find.

Top Bottom