What's new

First day with Nasncy Boy

In these torrid times of text messaging and e-mail, we tend to forget just how powerful the written word can be. Truly gifted authors have the power to encapsulate the very essence of the human experience in a single sentence, and they can send the reader soaring to heights of ecstasy or into the very depths of despair. From the immortal lines of Shakespeare (who could ever forget " ... a rose by any other name would smell as sweet") to the unforgettable characters of Dickens, the written word has provided us with moments of unequalled beauty and figures that still dominate the collective unconscious of man as a whole. Yet I would defy any author to truly capture the sublime brilliance of the Nancy Boy shave cream.
Flowery dialogue and pretentious literary quotations aside, I had my first shave with Nancy Boy today and I am hugely impressed.
The scent, latherability and the unsurpassed closeness of the shave, everything about this excellent cream astound me. I would never turn my back on my beloved Harris Almond, but after one day with NB this is my go to cream.
Cautious because of reports that this cream did not lather very well, I may have overloaded my brush somewhat, but I found myself with a veritable mountain of lather. Not the airy lather of the more traditional creams, but a thick, cushioning lather that allowed my HD to glide over my face like it was on ice. I was even brave enough to go against the grain and there wasn't even a hint of razor burn. Without the South-North pass I would have had one of my closest shaves yet, with it I was BBS without the associated redness and burning. I may even go back to my Futur, and load it with a Feather, that is how confident I am with this cream.
Also the Nancy Boy cream is so lubricious and protective that it seemed to compensate for the various flaws in my technique, I still don't have a consistent angle but this cream allowed me to overcome that particular problem with ease.
As for the scent, it is erotic. I can see my next church confession now:
" Forgive me Father for I have sinned, it has been x number of days since my last confession and in that time I have had immoral thoughts about a tub of shaving cream."
I wonder how many Hail Mary's that will cost me.
I also tried the NB facial cleanser and A/S.
As far as the facewash goes, my face takes a while to adjust to new cleansers, but this morning I noticed that my skin tone was somewhat more even. As for the A/S I might require a little more than the pea sized amount suggested on the bottle, but I found it to be very cooling and soothing and once again the scent was amazing.
I hope you will forgive my hyperbole, but I am overwhelmingly impressed by these products and all this is backed up by incredible customer service.
If you don't like Nancy Boy then you are a Godless heathen who stands against everything that decent people hold dear ( maybe that's a bit OTT but these are great products)
Warm regards,
Alex

Alex,
Assuming you have hair on the top of your head, you will absolutely love the Nancy Boy shampoo and conditioner. The shaving cream, while exceptional, can not rise to the same lofty pinacle as the shampoo and conditioner. These two were handed down from Mt. Olympus. Should you be confronted by the crisis of thinning tresses, this combination has a volumizing effect beyond belief.

Scotto said:
So you like it? :confused: :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was worried I may not have made myself clear.

I know this is only day one, so I plan to get back to everyone with a full (and hopefully slightly more contained) review after a week.
When I started out I was beset by a number of problems, i.e poor blade angle, hard water, no Feather blades; now these problems have been sorted (except lack of consistency on the angle)things are starting to fall into place, and when I get my hands on really great products (Feather blades, NB Cream) things feel even better; so I hope you will forgive my enthusiasm.
For Ron, at 23 years old I haven't been hit with thinning locks yet; but being neurotic I already have a contingency plan in place should my hair start to recede. At the moment that plan involves blind panic but it sounds as if the Nancy Boy products might make the basis for a more useful plan of action. I'm off to order some right now.
Warm regards,
Alex

AJS said:
....At the moment that plan involves blind panic but it sounds as if the Nancy Boy products might make the basis for a more useful plan of action. I'm off to order some right now. Warm regards,
Alex

Alex,

While you're at it you may as well order some of Nancy Boy's bath bars. They lather like nothing I've ever used, leave you feeling squeaky clean, yet moisturized and never with a dry, burning feeling like the run-of-the-mill bar soaps at the grocery store. I am looking for something that is equal to or better than the NB bath bars with the same value price, but have not yet found it. And their facial wash is the bomb too!

PottyDoctor said:
Alex,

While you're at it you may as well order some of Nancy Boy's bath bars. They lather like nothing I've ever used, leave you feeling squeaky clean, yet moisturized and never with a dry, burning feeling like the run-of-the-mill bar soaps at the grocery store. I am looking for something that is equal to or better than the NB bath bars with the same value price, but have not yet found it. And their facial wash is the bomb too!
I am also a huge fan of the bath bars, they are huge and last me about two months per bar! As for the shaving cream... there is none better!!!!! Cheers, DJ.

Argh, Maties!

I concur with all that has been stated thus far. I have tried the Taylor's avocado, almond; Trumper's coconut, violet; T&H ultimate, almond; Salter's mint; Coates lime; KMF mint, vanilla, peach; Tom's mint; C&E nomad, almond oil; Avalon organics; Zia.

None of these creams even remotely approaches Nancy Boy, IMHO :w00t: I mean, this stuff is just the best. From the addictive, lasting scent, to the quality of the lather, to the protective benefits.............nothing is better! Since I couldn't get a great lather at first (due to brush issues), I was using it brushless versus all others WITH a brush! It's that good, IMHO, gents.

I must now calm down before I spend $200 at NB.com :blushing: :a6:

PottyDoctor said:
Alex,

They sent me a free bath bar with my order, another reason why NB customer service is the best.
BTW, I like the bath bar very much, signature scent is incredible.
Warm regards,
Alex

AJS said:
They sent me a free bath bar with my order, another reason why NB customer service is the best.
BTW, I like the bath bar very much, signature scent is incredible.
Warm regards,
Alex

I have tried all 4 scents in the bath bars and Tea Rose is my favorite! I only wish they'd hurry up and add Tea Rose Shave Cream! :cool:

"Lasting scent"?? Are we talking about the same cream here? NB has no lasting scent at all. It barely has much of a scent even while shaving, and definitely does not last beyond the shave itself for me. Has this changed? I would love to have signature scent coming from my face after shaving. As it is I often find that I end up reaching for a slightly inferior lathering cream just because the scent makes me feel more happy throughout the day.

One thing I will add is that, while I do love NB cream, it is the only cream where I find I almost always have to dip back in the cream tub for the 3rd-4th pass.

TAsunder said:
"Lasting scent"?? Are we talking about the same cream here? NB has no lasting scent at all. It barely has much of a scent even while shaving, and definitely does not last beyond the shave itself for me. Has this changed? I would love to have signature scent coming from my face after shaving. As it is I often find that I end up reaching for a slightly inferior lathering cream just because the scent makes me feel more happy throughout the day.

One thing I will add is that, while I do love NB cream, it is the only cream where I find I almost always have to dip back in the cream tub for the 3rd-4th pass.

I certainly agree that the scent is not a lingering or "lasting scent." I actually like that because it does not interfere with ones cologne. And, no, there are not any "new and improved" versions of NB with a stronger scent. I too have reached for another cream, e.g. Violet or Rose, just because of the great scent...even though the lather is not as rich, creamy and luxurious as NB. I always end up going back to NB. Matter of fact, NB is the standard I now use to compare other creams to. I know NB is not for everyone, but that's OK.

As for the amount used, I don't think I use anymore NB than I do Trumper or Taylor. Maybe a little more NB than D.R. Harris, another favorite of mine.

So far, 5 days in, I have always got great lather from the NB. I do tend to (over)load my brush with the NB cream though, so I am sure that has a lot to do with it. I have found that Nancy Boy likes a lot more water than the more traditional English creams though. Also, Nancy Boy resonds to pumping of the brush, by producing copious amounts of lather, much more than any other cream I have experience with.
Warm regards,
Alex

I don't think I necessarily use any more. I think I just have to split my cream amount into two dabs. For some reason the consistency is such that it doesn't retain as much cream on the brush as it does on my face. I don't use a bowl, maybe that would resolve the situation.

I use NB often when shaving in the evening and not going out or when I want some other fragrance to dominate, like when I use NB salt scrubs or various cologne samples from all the british companies that never seem to run out.

Top Bottom